Does Manitoba Health Cover cost?

storymchaycer
on 8/20/06 8:32 am - Benito, Canada
Does anyone know....when you go out of province for RNY..will the manitoba government cover the costs? Just curious... If anyone has any info...please let me know.. Thanks a.k.a Big Momma:afro:
GinaMarina
on 9/20/06 3:47 am - Swan River, Canada
I just spoke with MHSC this morning. Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat Alberta does reciprocal billing, which means he bills directly to Manitoba Health. The consultation and procedure are covered by MHSC, from what I understand. If you wish to have part of your travel costs covered, your family physician has to write a letter to MHSC Travel Subsidy program, stating why you need to have the procedure done, and to request partial coverage for your travel and accomodations. The travel subsidy program works on a "submit and repay" type of program. You should have approval for travel before scheduling any appointments, so they have advised me. When approval has been made, your family physician can refer you to see Dr. Nohr. They also advised me, when researching different surgeons, to make sure that the surgeon does bill reciprically and also to make sure that the procedure itself is performed in a hospital, not a clinic, or else you could end up paying for the procedure yourself, or endure extra "clinic" costs. I hope this helps! GinaMarina
storymchaycer
on 9/20/06 6:54 am - Benito, Canada
Hi Gina.. Thanks so much for your info. I have actually started the paper work for a referral to see Dr. Davies in Edmonton. I guess I shoudl try to see if they do the reciprocal billing. Do you have the number where I can contact MHSC to see if Dr. Davies does the same, or is Dr. Nohr the only one in Alberta? Are you going through the process of having a surgery performed? I would love to compare notes if so... Big Momma
GinaMarina
on 9/20/06 9:49 am - Swan River, Canada
The best way for you to find out if Dr. Davies bills reciprocally is from his office. Also be sure to ask if the procedure is performed in a hospital. I was previously referred to DR. C. Andrew at St. B., but he is still not able to perform the surgery, so I've decided to move on and get a referral to Dr. Nohr. I am just getting together all of the info I have before proceeding and applying for travel subsidy. I hear Dr. Davies is highly recommended as well. Keep in touch and take care. Gina
Stormchild
on 9/27/06 8:52 am - winnipeg, Canada
Dear Big Momma, Manitoba Health will reimburse you for the cost of travel. I am not sure about the other out of pocket expenses, but you can call them up and ask them the policies. If you have any other questions give me a shout, Had mine done out of province in April down 90 lbs.
Bee
on 9/30/06 12:17 am - Canada
Hi, I know that Manitoba Health will not cover any cost for a lapband. Even with my Drs. help they would not consider it. :-( Maureen
Keltic_Princess
on 11/10/06 2:36 pm - Canada
Yes Manitoba Health Covers cost of surgury Gastric Bipass but not the lap band if you choose the lap band procedure you need cover cost of band.Travel subsity is provided not hotels or other expenses.
jessicalloyd
on 10/18/07 3:21 am - Winnipeg, Canada
I know if you go out of country Manitooba Health won't cover the cost, but what about private insurance?
Most Active