Starting Process at Beth Israel - Any thoughts?

SunsetTerrace
on 8/11/12 9:16 am
I am starting the process at BIDMC.  I viewed the online information session after much research.  I have my first appt on the 20th - labs, social worker, nutrionist.
I found the phone converstation I had to be very helpful.  I have my list of questions ready to ask.
What are the next few rounds of appointments like?  
What has been your experience with the timeline?

I had thought the band was the way to go but after a few months of research I am thinking that I would like the sleeve.  I have BCBS Mass and they seem to find that acceptable - pending individual approval.

I have 100+ to loose.  Not looking for a miracle but rather looking for a boost to a new lifestyle and way of living.

Your thoughts pro/con are much appreicated.
Di
MrsClaus09
on 8/15/12 7:15 pm
Congrats on getting the ball rolling!!

I had my sleeve at BIDMC.  I truly cannot say enough about the people AND the program there...everything from pre-surgery to follow up a year later has been wonderful.  Dr Jones was my surgeon and he was excellent!  But, really, they are ALL so wonderful, caring and helpful!

I think after my NUT, social worker appts, I attended another group info session, met with Dr H (med director), the nurse again, had an ultrasound, labs and then just waited for insurance approval...it took a LONG time for mine due to the insurance I have. Once insurance approved me, I had surgery scheduled within a few weeks.

I think I note a bit of my experience in my blog link...I'll warn you...I'm horrible at keeping it updated!

Best of luck to you - you are in excellent hands!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
SunsetTerrace
on 8/16/12 2:07 pm
Thank you for the reply Mrs C.

I am looking forward to my appt on Monday.  I have been reading on-line for months and it will feel particulary real when I step into the BI office.

Your blog was helpful.  It was good to follow your timeline.  Thanks again. I'll keep you updated.
Cheers to the next chapter.
Di
jamiebrain
on 8/22/12 7:19 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 Hi there!
I had my surgery at BIDMC one week ago.  Dr. Andrews is my surgeon.  I can't say enough about Dr. Andrews, his fellows and interns.  Everyone made me feel very comfortable.  I think it's been great so far.  There's a lot of learning in the beginning and it feels like a lot of hoops to jump through, but they only want you prepared.  I look forward to continuing the learning process with them all.  

Feel free to "friend" me, I'd be happy to answer questions if I can as they come up.  :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

SunsetTerrace
on 8/22/12 7:54 am
Jamiebrain,
Thanks so much for the note.  Congrats on your new path. I can't wait to be on the other side too.  I have found the program to be really detailed and helpful.
I had my Nut and SW appts. Did my labs.  I am having the sleep study on Sat in Newton.  Did you do that?
I have my Nurse and PFT's on the 7th.  Meet wtih Dr. H on the 12th.
Currently, I have Dr. Jones selected. I think they are all very good surgeons.  In recent days my research has indicated that Dr. Jones does not have the best bedside manner.
WOuld you mind me asking what made you go with Dr. Andrews?  I don't have any first hand opinions about the doctors but rather the program was recommeded by my primary.  Any thoughts you want to offer would be helpful.
Thanks again for your help.
Di
jamiebrain
on 8/25/12 7:24 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I had a sleep study before I started out with the program, because my BMI was right on the border and my PCP suggested that having sleep apnea would push me into the arena where my insurance would pay.  I was glad I did it.  I did have sleep apnea and sleeping with a cpap has made me feel a LOT better.  

I went with Dr. Andrews because I attended an info session where he was the doctor speaking.  I had a very good feeling about him.  He's laid back, friendly, has a sense of humor.  He made me feel like he was relatable.  I think he has a great bedside manner.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

1finfamily
on 8/23/12 2:33 pm
Hi I just had my surgery June 12th at Worcester Medical Center.. I went through the whole process in 11 month I research the gastro bypass for 6 years before going into the program.. Glad I did 9 weeks out and down 48 pounds but, im off all my meds. I do have some issues. bad stomach pains maybe twice a week to the point that I have to lay down. I think its gas pains but not sure wanted the sleeve but had reflux so they wouldn't do it. So good luck to you.
SunsetTerrace
on 8/23/12 5:29 pm
Congrats on your surgery.  Wishing you happy healing.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It is so helpful to here how people are doing with their own recovery.

I had several laprascopic gyn surgeries and I am quite familiar with the gas pains after abdominal surg.  They are CRAZY!  Walking and Gas X are your friends.  I also swore by hot/warm peppermint or a peach/ginger tea.  Very soothing and cut the bubbles in the tummy.  I also had a nurse tell me to lift my feet up and down ever so slightly as I was sitting.  That movement of your knee going up and down helped move things along.  Similar to when a baby has gas and you slowly "bicycle" there legs as they are laying down.  Give the body some help.

Wishing you all the best.
Di
NevillesMom
on 8/26/12 8:02 am - MA
Congrats on your decision! I am 10 months post op and it has been the best decision I have ever made. I had my surgery at St. Elizabeth's but being in Boston we have some of the best hospitals in the world and I know you will be happy. Use the board, everyone on here knows so much and has been really helpful to me.

Everything for me happened so fast. Had my first appointment at the end of August and had a surgery date by the end of September and I chose to have it at the end of October.

I had RNY and never even thought about the band. I have lost over 100 pounds since my surgery date and have met my initial goal weight. I did change my goal weight a few months ago as I got closer to my goal.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how the process is going for you!

SunsetTerrace
on 8/26/12 2:01 pm
Wow! Neville's Mom!  You have been working hard.  Amazing inspiration from you and your hubby!  You both look marvelous!

It was interesting reading your surgery inspiration on your page as my husband asked the surgeon I met with " Do you have a two/one special?"  Funny!

I am ready.  I know there will be hard work but even more amazing rewards.  What was your go to shake, food, exercise?

Thank you for your note.

Di
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 629 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2197 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4386 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4512 views