HOw did you decide it was right for you?

myk
on 6/14/04 3:45 am - woodridge, IL
I was wondering how you came to the conclusion to have the surgery? I am really thinking about it. I am 5'6" and 265. I have lost 25 lbs in the last year of trying. I just wanted to know why you decided to do it. I am in Illinois. In the Chicago area. Who did your surgery? Was it Lap or open? Did you go to the seminar I see on TV all of the time? I just don't know what the first step would be. I just want to be healthy and energetic again. I have 3 kids under 7. I want to be able to play tag..etc. How long does it take to get the process going? the insurance and all? HOw long did it take you to recooperate? Please give me any info you would like to share....I am full of questions. Than you, KS
Henry C.
on 6/14/04 4:45 am - Northern, IL
After another try at a liquid diet, weigh****chers, and Atkins didn't work. WLS commercials on TV are almost as common as car and food commercials. My pulmonologist had suggested it to me 3 years ago, and I always said there was no way I would do that. Well, I guess I knew there would be not other way I would lose weight and I now had diabetes. I hadn't heard of this site yet so I just did a google search on Bariatric surgery. I found the Society for Bariatric Surgeons site and other information and researched the types of surgery and the risks involved. After hearing of OH site I was able to get more information about surgeons. I decided to go to a seminar at a local hospital and came to the conclusion that with my medical problems, there was more reason to have surgery than to not have surgery, this is a conclusion my wife and I both had after the seminar. After that I made a consultation appointment, and was on my way. My consultation appointment was Feb. 4th and my surgery is June 29th. My surgeon Dr. Kane Sr. said that with my weight 400# bmi 60, I would need an open, but other surgeons will do lab on people at my weight. Hope this helps!
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/04 4:53 am - chicago, IL
*Sorry to hyjack your post* Henry, I did some research after you posted that you werent happy with Sr. I found out from more than one pt. that he tends to do open rather than lap...hes just "old school" and likes it that way. I dont know if Jr feels the same. If anything you can request a different doc and speak to him about it. Good luck! Or you already did, and know all of that. I'll shut up now
Henry C.
on 6/14/04 5:12 am - Northern, IL
No, don't shut up!! Thanks for the post. Is Dr. Rantis doing lap on you. My wife has a friend that had Dr. Rantis and she loved him. I think part of the decision to do open on me is that that is what they are comfortable doing. I saw Kane Jr. at their seminar and he told me they would probably do open on me, but I can't say that part of the decision isn't due to prior gallbladder surgery and scare tissue. There was a post over the weekend and it seemed like other surgeons tend to do open if your bmi is up around 50-60, mine is 60. I did call Dr. Frantzides (sp) office in Evanston, he does a lot of lap rny. He is not on my insurance plan and I can't get a consult with him until end of July. I was satisfied with what was going on until SSCS/New Self Bariatrics changed my Surgeons without even telling me, so I will go as planned for June 29.
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/04 4:49 am - chicago, IL
Hi, I just moved back to the city from Woodridge. Woodridge is nice, I lived across the street from a landfil hehe, but it was so pretty, there was a lake and a bike path around it. Anyway...Im pre-op, Ive been considereing the surgery for about 2 years, but never had insurance that covered it until now. Thank God I dont have the comorbidities like some have (Diabetic, high blood pressure, etc) and I want to keep it that way for a long time. And that there are things I want to do, but cant. I cant ride a bike for very long because I feel like my lungs are going to explode, or even simpler....tieing my shoes with out feeling that my face is going to explode. Its just not comfortable at all for me, I hate having to pull at my shirts so they dont cling to my "fat" ugh, just sitting here thinking about all of the things make me cringe. I just want out of this layer of fat, and be able to do whatever I want with the confidence I deserve to have for myself. Ok...I wont rant anymore hehe I went with Suburban Surgical Care center located in Elk Grove Village, quite a hike for me. I have Dr. Rantis as my surgeon. But the Wish Center (the commercials that air all the time) is located in Downers Grove, I suggest you attend a seminar, its a requirement for most, if not all bariatric centers, and is very imformative. Also this website is wonderful with finding out info on all of the procedures and possible complications etc as well as doctors and hospitals. I decided to go with the RNY bypass instead of the Lap Band because I want it to be permanent. Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/04 4:55 am - chicago, IL
Sorry...Suburban Surgical Care AKA New Self Bariatrics
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/04 5:09 am - Rosiclare, IL
Well i first found out about the surgery when Carmie Wilson had it ,but i didnt know if i could afford it,so i looked it up ,but didnt really persue it.So the last 8mons or so i have really been lookin into it.I have been going to seminar ,and learning alot.I realized i need the surgery when i had stage two Diabetes,and had a hard time breathing,and doing things with my little girl.I sent my papers in months ago im still waiting for a meeting with the doc,and dosent look like il get in til Dec or so,but thats cause im on IDPA.I plan on having the lap done.Im 5'5 and 272right now. OOO and i heard you have twins.I love twins they are so cute ,but im so glad mines not..lol.Im in Southern Illinois wayyy down south...loolGood luck to you tho..,and Welcome to the Illinois site...
vllgmz4
on 6/14/04 5:11 am - Burbank, IL
What finally made me decide was that I was tired of feeling like an old lady. I'm only 33 and I already had high blood pressure, diabetes, heel spurs, tired easily, and various aches and pains. Not only that my kids (6&7) deserve a mom that can play with them, I don't want to deny that to them. But you can read my profile it's pretty much all there. And email me if you'd like, I can give you my phone # and we can talk. Oh by the way I had Dr. Prachand at University of Chicago. He's the best
kathy B.
on 6/14/04 5:37 am - Grant Park, IL
Kym, I knew many people, personally, who had this surgery and I saw how it changed their lives. So I found the surgeon that fit me best, and just went for it. 10 months later, I'm down 105lbs and have started college again!! My life is as different now as night and day. Like I told someone that asked this question before, I now live every day instead of just existing. However, it is a huge total life change and surgery does not fix the issues that got many of us in this predicament in the first place. Believe me, it is a struggle every day to stick to my new habits. Especially when I'm bored or in under stress. My first instinct is to snack. However, I can usually talk myself down by reminding myself that nothing tastes as good as thin feels For the first time in 13 years, my bmi is normal I'M NORMAL. Read my profile, and if I can be of any help to you in any way please always feel free to email me Love and best wishes, Kathy
Heather M.
on 6/15/04 1:01 pm - Bourbonnais, IL
I decided it was right for me when I hit the breaking point and couldn't get any bigger than I was. I was wearing a size 30/32 (do they make clothes bigger than that? I don't think so.) My stomach was so big that I wa****ting the steering wheel with it when I drove. I realized that if I got any bigger I would be homebound and wearing mumu's. I am still in my 20's!!!!! Click on my name and read my profile to see some truths about the good and the bad of having this surgery. It is great, but it fixes the stomach, not the mind. I still crave the bad foods and the desire to eat and eat. You have to have your mind set in the right direction. I suggest reading lots of proiles and researching all the options.
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1101 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5623 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5366 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5393 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5431 views