Anyone w/Dr. S. Horgan? Questions...

GraceV
on 6/1/04 1:36 am
Hi- I'm new to the board here and was hoping that you could give me some information about Dr. Horgans procedures. After attending the information seminar, how long did it take for their office to contact you about your first consultation appointment? I went to the info seminar 2 weeks ago on a Monday. I called my medical group Tuesday and told them which procedure I wanted and the name of the Dr. They said to make an appointment for a consultation and when I called the U of I the woman yelled at me. She said that I wasn't the only person at that seminar and that they would go through the forms and then call me back. They still haven't called. So I left a message this morning that I wanted to make sure that my paperwork wasn't lost and that I had filled it out correctly and to please call. They haven't. I'm at a loss as to why the would treat me so poorly. I realize that I wasn't the only person at that seminar. But still, I WAS at the seminar for crying out loud. Suddenly I feel as if all is lost before I've even begun. What was your experience like? Am I just being too sensitive or am I really being treated poorly? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Grace
Gabby W.
on 6/1/04 4:42 am - Chicago, IL
Numerous comments have been made about Dr. Horgan's staff. Many feel that the 900 N. Michigan location is a lot better. Having said this, the time frame is largely dependent on scheduling. I waited nearly one month to get in for my consultation. Be prepared to pay $85.00 for the dietician and over $300 if a psychiatric consultation is required. You'll be there between 2-3 hours. There will be setbacks and keep in mind you're also a little sensitive as well. However, Dr. Horgan is a great surgeon and the best you'll get in IL. While rudeness should never tolerated, please note, there are thousands of individuals inquiring about this surgery everyday. I would contact the 900 N. Michigan location and ask for Michelle. Tell her you'd like to schedule a consultation appointment. Best of luck! Gabby
Tiffany J.
on 6/1/04 4:57 am - Mokena, IL
I wouldn't go to anyone that treated me that way. Have you researched other doctors? What kind of after care are they going to give you if they treat you like this now? There are other doctors out there, so keep looking. Most call you back right away. Try Little Co of Mary in Evergreen Park. They gave me the best service and are so friendly.
JoyceB
on 6/1/04 5:22 am - IL
Grace - I am one of Dr. Horgan's patients through his office at the 900 N. Michigan Surgical Center. I did not go through U of I (in fact last summer when I called U of I, I was told that I had to go through the 900 N. Michigan office and that Dr. H wasn't doing procedures at U of I anymore...odd since he is! I was p.o'd at first, but now grateful that that lazy *****y receptionist told me to call his office instead --- also I have had nothing but bad experiences with U of I in the past with other doctors). I did the seminar at the 900 N. Michigan office. That was last July (2003). I had a call-back days later and an appointment for consultation within 2 weeks. Unfortunately, with insurance problems and appeals, I didn't have the surgery until February 2004 when I decided to do self-pay. I felt like all was lost also...but then decided some dumb insurance company wasn't going to make my health care choices for me when I knew what was best for me. Between the day I decided to go self-pay and the date of surgery were less than a month apart. I could have had it sooner, but I scheduled around a day off at work. I can't say what the waiting period is like this summer, but I suspect it is a bit longer given the growing popularity of the surgery and Dr. Horgan's reputation. No one should be treated poorly...least of all by a doctor's staff. Unfortunately it has become pretty common. I love my PCP, but hate his miserable front office witches. If I didn't love him so much, I would have switched PCPs long ago. But the quality of care I receive from him keeps me coming back and I avoid the witches as much as possible (and I also let my PCP know everytime about them and their "behavior"). I feel the same about Dr. Horgan. The quality and experience he offers were important enough to me that I didn't settle for someone closer to home, etc. Although we should never have to decide between quality and experience over customer service and courtesy, reality is reality. Decide what is important most to you and work around it. Don't let some underpaid, overworked, miserable witch determine your health care choices. All is NOT lost!!! In this case, you have a great option...Try the 900 N. Michigan office. Good luck and if you have any other questions about the 900 N. Michigan office or Dr. Horgan, feel free to email any time!
GraceV
on 6/1/04 6:26 am
Hey girls! Thanks so much for those fast responses. If I could afford to go to whoever I wanted, believe me, I would. My medical group is making me go to U of I even though there is a surgeon who performs Lap-Band very near my home. I imagine that I could try to sway them into letting me go somewhere else. However, at the information seminar Dr. Horgan said that his clinic on Michigan Ave was only for self-pay. Or maybe I only think thats what I heard. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks, Grace
JoyceB
on 6/1/04 11:58 am - IL
That's a new one to me...I was plugging along with my insurance woes at the 900 N Michigan clinic all along. They "had" an insurance coordinator and everything. And a woman I know who was scheduled for June surgery at the clinic had insurance also. You might just want to call the clinic and double check. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. H meant that self pays don't go to the hospital (WAYYYYY more expensive than clinic) and are only for the clinic...but not exclusively.
Linda M.
on 6/1/04 11:35 am - WayNorthIn, IL
my brother had lapband surgery by dr horgan july '03. i met the doctor and he was wonderful. i think from the time my brother went to the first meeting till surgery was like 3 months (maybe less). he had it done at u of i and everything went well. no problems with staff from horgan's ofc or at the hospital. he's only had 1 fill and that was about 3 months ago. it was done at the 900 michigan ave bldg. one of the assistants who is a surgical fellow did the fill. a surgical fellow is a resident who's done 3-4 years of general surgery and has now done another year of just bariatric surgery. dr horgan is a pioneer in lapband surgery and now teaches other doctors how to do it and certify them. in order to do lapband surgery, you have to be certified. this is what inamed requires. i had lapband surgery by a doctor in libertyville at condell hospital. if i didn't find a doctor so close to my home, i would have gone to dr horgan. sorry the receptionist treated you so rudely. there's no excuse for this. but sit tight. it will be worth the wait. once you get in to see dr horgan, let him know who was rude to you and he'll deal with her or have someone deal with her.
GraceV
on 6/2/04 3:22 am
Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone was following my story. They didn't call yesterday. I called back this morning and told the woman who answered the phone exactly what was happening. She said she would take a hand written message and put it on Dr. Horgans nurses (Lauren) desk personally. That was at 8:00 am. Its 12:30 pm now, still nothing. I'll let you know if I ever get that call.
GraceV
on 6/2/04 4:23 am
Got pissed enough to call again. Actually spoke to the infamous Lauren this time and she made my appointment for me. Thank God!
nicole C.
on 6/3/04 2:41 am - villa park, IL
HI, have you applied for insurance approval yet? I am working on my 2nd appeal, with BCBS IL would love to know your experiences with them.nicki
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1101 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5623 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5366 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5393 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5431 views