Surgery is scheduled now!!!

julsey
on 8/9/11 2:42 am
I am so excited.  Last Friday I found out that the Gov and medicaid was reveresed.  Also found out in the late afternoon that I can have my surgery.....this week on Thursday.  Aug 11.  Oh so quick.  I am ready and going to get this done.  I will be at Methodist Hospital in Des Moines.  Dr. LaMasters will be my surgeon.
I will keep you all posted.
~Julie
julsey
on 9/8/11 1:41 pm
 I will be a month out as of Saturday.  It doesn't seem like it.  I am having some problems staying hydrated enough.  I am so busy with school and life stuff, that I am constantly having to to remind myself to keep drinking.  I get frustrated cuz i can't make the quotas.
I had to get an infusion this past wednesday.  fluids, vitamins, electrolites....
i am tired still.
I don't know what is going on really.
Ernest Pruitt
on 9/26/11 5:43 am - Dubuque, IA
Let me tell you i am in the same boat....the first two weeks after surgery I had to get infusions....dehydrated. I had my surgery 8-29-2011 and I am still having a hard time adjusting...i never meet my water quotas....the vitamins taste like crap now and the protein shakes are unbearable....I want to puke everytime i even smell the protein....I could really use some advise myself on what to do...i am finding myself getting a little depressed also. I should be happy as hell i am down 50 lbs already.....But i am pretty miserable.....Any suggestions?

iowa_missie74
on 10/28/11 11:13 am - IA
I am almost 5 weeks out of surgery. I can't stand the shakes either and the vitamins...ugh, disgusting. At least now I can swallow my pills rather than crush them. With my shakes, I mix half chocolate and half vanilla and get it super cold. Sometimes I even freeze them and drinking them slushy seems to make it a little easier. I live in Maquoketa, a small town and there is no where here to get the protien mix so I go to Dubuque to get it but don't want to buy too mu*****ase I don't like it. So mixing it works for me. As far as the chewable vitamins go, I found that if I hold them and nibble on them, it's not nearly as bad as popping the whole thing in my mouth and chewing it. Being down 50 pounds is awesome! I am down about 25, but from 2 weeks out to 4 weeks out I lost nothing as far as the scale goes. I did lose inches tho, so that made me happy. Good luck.

Jody H.
on 9/23/11 11:54 am - Des Moines, IA
Julie - 

Congrats on your surgery.   Keep working on the fluids and the protein.   I was still feeling pretty exhausted 4 weeks out from surgery... it just takes some longer than others to bounce back.   (Which is so disappointing because I had this mental image of how quickly I'd feel great! ;-)   ) 

It helps if you keep a water bottle with you all of the time.   If you don't really like plain water, consider adding a few berries in the bottle to give it a light flavor.   (Or some people like cucumber water). 

The vitamins are important - I found it helped to put a reminder on my phone... or set an alarm to remind you to take them. 

It does get better! 

Jody 
Most Active
Recent Topics