Dr. Titus Duncan?

Michelle J.
on 10/21/03 10:55 am - Savannah, GA
Has Anyone seen Dr. Duncan, I'm thinking of going to see him. Im scedule for a seminar Oct.30th. I have done research, and from what I see everyone says nice things. But any feed back is welcome. Thanks Everyone Michelle
Marrilee M.
on 10/21/03 11:10 am
Hi Michelle, I'm signed up to go to the same Intro Seminar. I looked up Duncan here on obhelp, found patients that have used him, then read their journals. It sounds like you've done the same things. Have you downloaded and filled out his questionnaire? It says it takes 45 minutes to complete. NOT!! I took me 4.5 hrs to complete the questionnaire and another 2 hours to write the biography. I did take a lot of time with it, but I doubt if anyone can fini**** in 45 minutes unless they have completed a similar form for another Dr. and can just just copy and paste the info. Have you researched any other surgeons? Which procedure do you want to have? Why are you considering Duncan? I'm also checking with Redmond (Douglasville) and Scarborough (Smyrna). I only have MediCARE which has narrowed my selection considerably. Plus, I think the open RNY would be the best procedure for me which eliminates those surgeons that only do LAP. I hope to meet you on the 30th at Duncan's seminar. What area do you live in? I'm in Kennesaw.
Michelle J.
on 10/21/03 10:05 pm - Savannah, GA
Im in Savannah, I'm thinking of going with open or lap RNY. Haven't made my decision on that yet. I choose dr. Duncanbecause everyone that has seen him has no complaints, plus the years he's been doing the surgery. I also looked at Dr. Proctor. I have BCBSof GA -ppo, so I don't know how easy it will be to get approved. I go thurs to my pcp hoping to get a referral. My BMI is 46.9 but you never know how things can turn out. I hope I do get to meet you there at the seminar.
Marrilee M.
on 10/22/03 1:57 am
Hi Michelle, Wow, you're coming up from Savannah to go to Duncan's intro seminar. I guess I'm surprised that there isn't a good WLS surgeon in Savannah. I've looked at the different types of surgery and think the RNY would be best for me too. What are you doing to educate yourself and prepare? I'm spending a lot of time on the Internet reseaching and studying. And I've purchased "The Complete Guide to Obesity Surgery" book (it hasn't arrived yet) and subscribed to Obesity Help magazine (it hasn't arrived yet either). And I think the messages boards here and on Yahoo are a terrific source of real life experiences, not just what the Dr's are reporting. Do you have a WLS supportive PCP? I think I've found one. I've only met with him once so far, but it was a good session. I go back to see him in 10 days, so I'll get a better idea about him then. Again, I hope to meet you on the 30th.
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/03 7:06 am - Midland City, AL
Dr Duncan himself is a fine doctor. His staff especially the insurance department is pittiful. They are going against medicare rules and requiring upfront money above and beyond their contract to recoup "expenses". I would steer clear (in fact I DID go with another surgeon) for that reason.
karen P.
on 10/22/03 10:58 am - Alpharetta, GA
Hi Michelle, I have not seen him but have heard he is well respected in the area of WLS in the Atlanta area. I have heard very good things about him! I wanted to comment on Gwen's post - about the insurance/billing ppl in his office wanting up front $ above and beyond their contract w/ Medicare. This is actually against Federal law. Some doc offices will pull the same thing w/ insurance - be it BCBS, Aetna, Cigna, whomever. I had it happen to me w/ a local immediate care facility (I had the flu) - they tried to make me pay the 'write off' amount which is the difference between what the contract pays (that the office/doctor has agreed to) and what the office wants to charge. Knowing that his office does this w/ Medicare, I would want to find out if they do it w/ all insurance. If anyone, at any office, wants you to pay the $ not covered by the 'contract' they have w/ insurance, I would contact the insurance company to let them know the office is practicing this. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon....
Michelle J.
on 10/22/03 11:20 am - Savannah, GA
Hi, Thank you for this. I will be calling Joyce and asking questions about that. I have done alot of research and talk with some people that have seen him. It's hard to know each individual surgeon out there. I feel like sometimes it takes a person to meet them. But no disrespect to the comment before this one, about the insurance problem. If that is being done yes it does need to be reported. Thanks to you all I just want to know I have a good surgeon. I want to know I'm in good hands at all costs.
karen P.
on 10/22/03 11:35 am - Alpharetta, GA
Michelle, From what I have heard, he is one of the top 3 bariatric surgeons in Atlanta. Dr. Burrowes is one also - that is who I am going to see. I think that seeing/meeting is the most important part and if you like him, he does have good credentials!! Good luck!! Karen
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/03 4:11 am - Midland City, AL
JOYCE is the very person that demanded I "pay upfront" $1500 or find another surgeon. I went with another surgeon and also notified medicare. Medicare wads NOT happy to hear about their "practice".
cbaines B.
on 10/22/03 1:57 pm
Michelle, I have been to the seminar with Dr. Duncan, he personally did it and he is a very friendly physician, with from what I could tell, "great bedsie manners. I have had my initial visit with his office, of course he wasn't there he was in surgery, I met with Dr. Speights and she was very nice and informative. I am now am waiting on my medical clearance from my pcp for approval for the insurance company Let's keep in touch. Hope this helps.
Most Active