Getting somewhere with my hubby!

brandy9776
on 1/13/13 1:09 am - Rural Retreat , VA

I'm making some progress with getting my hubby on board with me on having my ds surgery. Yesterday he seen me reading the posts on here and told me "you can have the lap band but they are not cutting on your insides" I responded "it's my body I'll do what I want to it and I want the DS". Later on the evening I left OH on under the DS forum and he read some of ya'll's post. Later that night he said he wanted to talk to me when we go to bed. As we settled into bed last night, I asked him what he wanted to talk about. He said he wanted me to give til April to help me lose some weight on my own, if I show I'm not losing and I'm struggling to lose then he would stand by my decision to have the surgery I wanted. Which he said this before but never said he would stand by me in my decision to have the DS. I told him that was fine but I will also be going to my physician so she can document my progress so that it's on record. I told him this was my dream, a dream to be able to run with my kids outside instead of hiding out in the house while they were playing. To not be embarrassed when I go to my daughter's school for fear of they would tease her about her mommy being fat. There is a skinny woman trapped inside of the fat  body just waiting to get out!! Just by him talking to me about it and not shutting me out is a huge step in the right direction for him and me. I felt so happy!

On a side note, we decided to let go of one of our babies (dogs). Someone wants to buy him. He's been with us for 3 yrs, I assisted his mommy in helping to birth her babies. He was the second born, I had to help pull him out because she was struggling to give birth to him. It breaks my heart that we are giving him up. He's just like one of my kids. But, I have in total 5 dogs in the house and can't deal with them all. So we decided to let go of one of them. The other 4 are older dogs, with one being 15 yrs old. I really crying so hard last night after hanging up with the lady who wants to buy him. So my husband lifted some of my sadness by talking to me about the DS last night. I hope and pray he'll adjust to being in a new home with a new owner. =(

Brandy

MajorMom
on 1/13/13 1:21 am - VA

Hang in there, Brandy. It sounds like you have made some great progress with your hubby. He may not totally understand everything about the DS and maybe he doesn't have to. Just make sure he understands the DS will give you the best chance for success long term but it can be expensive. Vitamins and protein are not negotiable. Getting your labs done every year from now on is not negotiable. You might have gas at the end of the day, and there may not be much you can do about that, but you will try, by keeping your carbs to a minimum. He can help by going a little low carb with you.

Keep us posted and good luck.  : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

brandy9776
on 1/13/13 2:43 am - Rural Retreat , VA

OHH Boy, I did forget to mention that part to my hubby. I wonder how long he will find that funny everytime I pass gas and out do him on it. He's a trip when he does it and he tells me it don't bother him when I do it. But, I can't even get close to how loud, long or fast it rips out. I've heard after having the DS they get really bad. He's gonna be in for it! LOL!! winkI'm preparing myself for the expense of vitamins and protein. I'm thinking of starting early in buying them. Getting a good stock pile on both items. I don't mind drinking protein drinks, I love chocolate and strawberry flavor. I use to drink them for a when I was going to a local place when I use to live, my mom lost over 85 lbs with the place (the woman was expensive on selling her products, i.e vitamins and protein shakes) I couldn't afford them and in our contract we couldn't buy anything from the store we had to buy everything from her and we had to drink protein drinks 3 to 4 times aday. I've read a lot of people get tired of drinking them so I hope I don't either.

thinlizzie12
on 1/13/13 3:27 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

Brandy,

I understand your feelings. My husband was totally against me going to Mexico for my band in 2006...I had to go alone. Have him read about the band experiences on here.....there are alot of us that have had a heck of a time with this darn thing....one of the worst decisions in my life. Then my hubby saw me on my computer again after all these years...he knew I was up to something...but all he asked me was"You planning on getting that band out?" Yep....was my answer then I told him that I am getting the DS. I took all the steps I had to to get where we are today....in 11 days I am getting this band out and getting my DS. I am so excited, nervous. My hubby stands by me. He is not thrilled about the whole cutting me open inside but he also knows that I am not happy at my weight. He know how hard I tried at this band thing for almost 6 years. You are smart. Going for the DS. Don't back down to what people think you should have. Get what you want and need. I truly believe the the band should be banned. Don't even look in that direction. Have the hubby read through the lapband posts. Good luck to you. Stay strong. And hey, not for nothin.....he says April? Get on to your dr appointments, psych evaluation, 3 month diet with dietician....April will be here before you know it. Then all your paperwork is done. You could have your surgery in April if you play your cards right;)

A. C
on 1/13/13 4:00 am

Hi Brandy,

Know this surgery is not an easy road.  I pull no bones about it.  It is tough.  Your anatomy is totally changed and some people's body just doesn't want to accept the change (ie mine).  The financial cost is great!  I spend about $110 per month on Vits and then another $125 on protein.  Plus all the Dr's visits.  Plus the labs.etc etc.  Even at 5 months out, I'm still learning.  Right now, I have a cold (not the flu yet), before surgery - prescription cough syrup & black elderberry syrup and I was good in 24 hours.  Because of the malabsorption, this has been going on 4 days.  I am a wee bit frustrated... Heck... A LOT frustrated!  My Dr said it was ok to double the dose of Rx cough syrup based on the DS.  It just puts me to sleep now, I'm not any better after 72 hrs out. 

This is a lifelong committment to this surgery.  It controls your every move. 

Best of luck to you!

Valerie G.
on 1/13/13 11:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Get him off of the whole lap band idea by letting him read the regrets board and the revisions board to see how invasive it is to remove the band in many people who have had it erode into their stomachs and damaged to the point where they cannot get a normal revision.  It's less invasive going in, but it's only designed to last 10 years inside of the body, and usually needs to be removed and already causing internal damage much sooner than that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views