Tis the Season to keep warm

Valerie G.
on 12/30/11 5:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I've tried a lot of things as I lost weight and discovered I was freezing.  Okay new skinny peeps, here's some tips to keep your hiney warm this winter:

1 - Dress in layers.  I'm talking knee-high socks, leggings or a shaper under the pants, then a cami, then a shirt, and maybe another shirt or sweater over that.  Not only do you look extra good, those shaper items keep you warm, too. It's amazing how warm the rest of your body is when your fanny is warm.   I recommend getting a size larger shaper than you really need in the name of comfort.  You can smooth out your jigglies without feeling like a stuffed sausage.  At bedtime, the sexiest I get is my leopard flannels, with knee-socks, of course.  My husband has to peek behind the shower curtain to get a look at my legs below the knee, for my knee-high's will be on until April. 

2- Heated mattress pads.  These were sent from Heaven above, and they're probably on clearance at the stores this very moment.  I jack the thing up on High 30 min before going to bed, turn it down as I lay and snuggle into a nice glowing oven to fall asleep in.  I rarely need more than my bedspread all night.

3- Wear your hat, scarf AND gloves.  It really makes a difference, kinda like that warm hiney.

4 - Wool rocks.  I never had an appreciation for wool until my DS.  It's warm without being too bulky

That's all I can think of.  What do others recommend to add?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

yorkieGal
on 12/30/11 5:55 am - Clermont, FL
Hey Great Thread val!
As a Bit who emigrated to Florida I HATE going home any other time of the year but August or July!
Thermal t shirts under everything!
Thermal tights under jeans and then thermal socks.
Tiny little microwaveable handwarmer you put in your jacket pockets to keep hands warm
Brushed cotton sheets and cute bed socks

Ho****er bottles are a god send - I put one in the truck with me on really cold mornings.
I use one when watching TV and my feet are cold, for period pain, shoulder pain (I have a bone spur).

There is one slight problem - I have a 6lb Yorkie who also HATES the cold and she hogs the darn ho****er bottle so often, I bought her one of those faux fur covered microwave hotties and a doggie snuggie for Christmas - Now we snuggle together and no fighting!! she also loves it in the truck under her blanket!! talk about spoilt!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

* Gail R *
on 12/30/11 6:33 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I wear ski thermals nearly all year! I am happy in the full sun in the summer-the only time I put the thermals away. I have moved my desk and favorite reading chair close to the wood burning stove. On the not so cold days I am wearing my old queen sized panty hose under my clothes. I love the seat warmer in my car! I purchased fleece sheets and an electric blanket-I've never enjoyed crawling into a nice warm bed like now! Ahhh-the simple joys of being uninsulated!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

KRWaters
on 12/30/11 7:18 am - Manteca, CA
Hello all, haven't been around lately. I did want to say that I still like being COLD. I love it. Can't stand any heat or blasts of heat. Sometimes I still like using AC if it is a bit warm, or at least I use my little fan. Never got to the point where I am feeling cold. I do wonder why that is? I wear short sleeve shirts indoors (my summer shirts). I will wear a sweatshirt outside, but not layered. On very cold nights up here I will use a scarf, but usually take it off if it even gets a little warm. I am just so different, huh?

Hope everyone is well and a very happy new year 2012.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

* Gail R *
on 12/30/11 7:24 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hi Karen, Hope it is a happy year for you too! Did you daughter ever persue the DS?

KRWaters
on 12/30/11 7:32 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Gail, My daughter lost her job in the call center last February so she has no insurance and has quit her pursuit of any surgery for now unfortunately, and in the meantime she is gaining more weight. She can't  walk more than 2 steps and she is in pain with her legs, back etc. Sad situation here. There is nothing I can do for her. She needs to help herself I know.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

ModestoK
on 12/30/11 7:22 am, edited 12/29/11 7:23 pm
I adore my heated throw. I got it right before surgery and have used it constantly.
Of course, like Yorkie, I have to fight with my furkids to get under it if I happen to get up. They seem to think I bought it for them.
I also have a space heater at work - cranked up to 80 year round.

I no longer have any since moving to California, but I used to love my silk long underwear.
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

* Gail R *
on 12/30/11 7:28 am, edited 12/29/11 7:41 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
I always get a kick out of seeing my favorite avatar! It rivals my favorite goddess from Turkey 6000BC
nuts the image didn't go through. Google it. LOL A real woman

Julie R.
on 12/30/11 8:28 am - Ludington, MI
 Two words:   Smart Wool!
Fortunately, my husband knows how much I love Smart Wool socks, and makes a point of buying me socks in cute prints/colors.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

newyorkbitch
on 12/30/11 11:10 am, edited 12/30/11 11:11 am
 I wear a layer of knitted silk long underwear under everything.   Very thin,  very comfortable,  very warm.  Silk layer next to the skin,  wool on top of that.  And wool socks,  or at least a wool blend.  Hat is essential too - I always wear a fur hat.    And I wear a fur jacket or coat when it's cold - there is nothing,  absolutely nothing,  warmer than fur.  Yes,  it's expensive.  

If it's cold inside, I wear a cashmere turtleneck over the silk undershirt and then a wool sweater on top of that.  Cashmere is very warm,  very soft,  and very thin.

I also use an electric mattress pad - love it.  I put it on 15 minutes before I'm going to bed,  and turn it off when I get in (I just don't feel safe leaving it on all night).  Nice thing about the one we have is that each side is operated independently so I can turn my side on and not my husband's side - he hates the thing.

Also I keep a kettle on almost all the tea,  buillon...
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views