Aches and pains....

Julie B.
on 10/23/11 9:17 pm - OH
Ugh....my knee is killing me this morning and I can't take anything for it (nothing for ten days prior to surgery).....I live on Aleve.....the ache travels all the way down my leg....I can NOT wait until this type of pain is better.....Tired of living in pain between my back, knees and hip.....sigh!

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

no_more_rolls
on 10/23/11 11:57 pm - Jackson, MI
Sorry you're not feeling well.  Hope you feel better soon!  Are you 100% sure you can't take anything?  I was allowed to take NSAIDS, but understand every surgeon's requirements are different.  Perhaps try giving the office a call, explain what is going on, and ask again just to be sure.  No point in suffering if you don't have to.

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

MsBatt
on 10/24/11 2:15 am
She can't have NSAIDs because they thin the blood and she's about to have surgery.
no_more_rolls
on 10/24/11 2:34 am - Jackson, MI
I know NSAIDS thin the blood, but I've had 2 surgeries recently (DS and total thyroidectomy) and was allowed to take them.  As I stated earlier every surgeon has a different protocol and do make some exceptions so she should ASK.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

MsBatt
on 10/24/11 2:38 am
That's...very unusual. I had to be off NSAIDS for a week just to have a colonoscopy! And my dentist prefers I be off them for a few days before he cleans my teeth!
no_more_rolls
on 10/24/11 2:42 am - Jackson, MI
I'm not sure why I was allowed to take them.  I had to discontinue a migraine medication I take for both surgeries but I was allowed to take my NSAIDS.  It might be because I have lupus and the benefit to me taking them out-weighed the risk.  
MsBatt
on 10/24/11 2:15 am
Call your doc and ask if they'll give you some Lido-Derm patches. I too live on Aleve, and I recently had to be off them for a week. The patches really help.
J G.
on 10/24/11 4:41 pm
Ms Batt, for what kinds of pain have you used these?   Sounds interesting...

-Jenny
MsBatt
on 10/25/11 5:13 am
Mostly arthritis, but also for muscle aches and sprains. I've had severe arthritis since I was 20, and I use these WITH NSAIDs. They're great on the thinner parts of the body---feet, ankles, elbows, etc., but not so good on the thicker parts, like hips. I think that's because on my hips there's still too much flesh between the skin, where you stick the patch,  and where the pain originates in the joint.
Julie B.
on 10/24/11 9:33 am - OH
Thanks all... yeah....at my pre-op they specifically gave me a list of everything I can't take....pretty much everything but tylenol which does NOTHING for my pain.....aleve and ibuprofen is about the only thing that helps at all(only have every been on OTC stuff and some celebrex back in the day)....i just keep telling myself that this week will be the last week at this weight....and every day that passes will bring me closer to pain free....whew...

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views