OT: My Trader Joes has discontinued frying cheese- alternative?

Twi light
on 9/16/11 1:44 am - NY
I went across the street from TJs to Whole Foods and got haloumi, which i do not like, it is too salty and it is rubbery even when cooked.

Where do you find frying cheeses ? I never seen Kasseri in the stores around here and that is the only other one i know of.

hollyweasel
on 9/16/11 1:50 am - MI
I'm not sure if there are any really authentic Greek restraurants where you live - but here in Detroit we have a great appetizer called Saganaki.  It's fried goat's cheese (Kasseri) which I can find at Whole Foods or most delis around here. 

The Saganaki is fried, then lit on fire tableside.  It's to be eaten with bread but is just as good with cuke slices.

Hope this helps!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/greek-saganak i-recipe/index.html

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

sandy_mt
on 9/16/11 2:12 am
 Our Trader Joes doesn't cook any foods.  I didn't know that some did?  Wow.  We have a local restaurant here-actually I think there are 3 in Cleveland called Steak on a Stone and they have the kasseri cheese served flambe.  It's awesome.  Ours calls it saganaki as well.  I know this doesn't help you any--sorry for that.

Sandy

Twi light
on 9/16/11 2:38 am - NY
they do not cook the cheese, it is just packaged cheese but it is labeled/named Frying Cheese- like instead of haloumi or kasserie it just says frying cheese, it is packaged in a plastic wrap- look in your cheese section next time,  it is relatively cheap too.

Ill check out Whole Foods againf or the Kasseri, the haloumi was 8.99 for 6oz!

Is kasseri rubbery??? 

DH is going to brooklyn for work this week so i am going to have him find me kasseri .

sandy_mt
on 9/16/11 2:44 am
 I understand now!

1 more question-how do you fry cheese?  What do you dip it in or do you just drop it in hot oil?  I know I've had fried swiss at local fairs in the past, but it has the breading on it-like a corndog.  

Twi light
on 9/16/11 3:12 am - NY
that is all the magic of frying cheese, you just fry as is! no oil, nothing, i just dropped it on a hot teflon skillet, waited for it to turn golden, flipped and got it golded on both sides. It does NOT stick and it does not melt all over the place, the water sort of evaporates out of it and it fries up. It is magically delicous

Kayla B.
on 9/16/11 5:34 am, edited 9/16/11 5:34 am - Austin, TX
Look for queso blanco/queso fresco.  They are Mexican frying cheeses.

Sometimes fresco is more melty so I'd try to find blanco.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
callmeEJ
on 9/16/11 5:35 am - Minneapolis, MN
I just recently got some Queso Blanco at my local Costco. Pretty good stuff, too.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 5:51 am
Ok I wanna try frying cheese now. But what do you eat it with? by itself??
Twi light
on 9/16/11 6:29 am - NY
i just had about 3 oz of haloumi- by itself, fried up. it is 18 grams of protein and no carbs. and really filling!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 438 views