One month Post OP

rubytica
on 8/1/11 6:45 am - GA
Today I had my one month post op appt and I have lost 24 lbs.  I have never lost so much in such little time so I am very excited.  I am still trying to get used to eating slowly and eating 5-6 meals per day.  When i miss a snack and get hungry, I tend to eat fast and overeat which makes me feel really misrable and have to vomit to feel better.  I am also having a hard time getting my fluids due to the rule of not drinking for 30 minutes before and after each meal and taking 20 minutes to finish a meal.  Any suggestions on how to improve/

Thanks
Ruby
adkmtngirl
on 8/1/11 6:58 am - Brant Lake, NY
 I never went by the rule of not drinking for 30 minutes before/after a meal. At one month out, I was lucky if I could eat 2 oz of food total at a sitting, so I was constantly sipping on protein shakes & drinking water and eating food just to get my protein in! 

My thoughts, really concentrate on the fluids, and just eat protein, try for one ounce of protein each hour you are awake, that's how I did it and it worked, for the  most part. 
Kristina

beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 8:53 am - AL
Um yeah I have a suggestion. Quit listening to people who don't know what the hell they are talking about and start following the suggestions of the many many DSers here on OH who DO know what they are talking about.

For starters there is NO rule that says you can't drink whenever the hell you want to.  THAT is a RnY rule and DOES NOT APPLY to you.  Now if you can't eat enough because you fill up with fluids that is another issue, but there is no damn rule about 30 minutes before or after.

What other nonsense has filled your head I can't remember because I knew better than to listen to them.  I listened to the vets here on OH.

You need to stop eating so much that you vomit.  But you can eat every HOUR if you want to.  There is NO RULE that you can only eat 6 times a day.  I ate every hour for a very long time and every 2 hours for an even longer time.  Eat when you are hungry but eat protein and don't throw up.  Okay?

Are you following their crappy vitamin advice too?

PLEASE if you don't believe me find someone here on OH that you trust to guide you.  Because you are not getting good advice.

~Becky

teachmid
on 8/1/11 9:36 am - OKC, OK
Early out I had to eat by the clock...30 minutes minimum, to avoid that eating too fast. It was hard but doable. Don't follow the RNY rules.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

rubytica
on 8/1/11 11:03 am - GA
 Thank you ladies for answering my post.  I did not know that this rule was for RNY, I was just following what I was told by my surgeon, now I know better.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply.  So what did you eat and how often at one month out?  When can I eat salads? I know I need the Protein shakes to suplement and meet protein goals but what food do you eat. I see the post on bites and execites but I dont know if I am ready for that food yet.

Thank you again
Ruby 
beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 12:19 pm - AL
Ruby,

I bet they told you you need about 75 grams of protein a day, right?  WRONG. 

You need the DS primer.

Read this thread and bookmark it:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

Find a mentor who you can PM questions to and get support from.

Are you cleared for a normal diet by Dr Smith?  If not what has he said you can eat? 

You need to be eating the TYPES of food he says (soft?  mushy?  normal?) but you can eat every 30 minutes as long as you eat PROTEIN FIRST.  Hell you can eat every 10 minutes if you want to.  There is NO rule about how often to eat... just how much protein you need and LIMIT your carbs.

You need to be getting 30 grams of protein a day NOW, working up to 60 by the end of month 2.  Whey protein shakes are excellent.  You can sip on them all day.  30 grams by 30 days/60 by 60 and 90 by 90 days and then at LEAST 100 forever after that.

You need to be getting a MINIMUM of 64 oz of water a day.  SF popsicles or flavored water (Crystal Lite) count as water.

Eat a few bites and then wait a bit and eat a few more bites.  If you don't let yourself get starving you won't overeat and throw up.

What are you eating now?  What has he approved you to be eating?

Have they got you drinking HIGH CARB drinks like Carnation Instant Breakfast?

What vites are you taking?

Really Ruby...you are the lucky one ... you have found this website.  Now it is up to you to make use of it and find out what you need to be doing to be healthy.   I just feel sorry for the people who never heard of OH and are trying to live with a DS and follow RnY rules.  I can't imagine!!!

~Becky

rubytica
on 8/2/11 1:00 am - GA
Becky:

I always appreciate your advise and I listen to you and the VETS here.  I did not know that this rule was for RNY and it was not letting me take all my fluids. Now I know and I will make sure I take the fluids I need.

They told me I only need 65 grams of protein but when you told me earlier I should be doing the 30 in 30 days, 60 in 60 days and 90 in 90 days and go up to 100+ ; that is what I have been doing.  I am currently getting 60+ grams of protein a day.  The only shakes I seem to like are the premier protein shakes but I am still testing some powder versions that I just got from vitalady.

I just got my order from vitalday for the vitamins and I will start this routine very soon.  I upped my calcium after you told me I was not taking enough.

In regards to the food, I was told I could eat anything that can be cut by a fork so basically still soft foods.  I did 3 weeks of liquid diet and this is my second week of soft food and they recommend to be on soft foods 3-6 weeks.  I guess I am tired of soft mushy food and I was just wondering when did you start adding solid foods and what were the choices, when did you add salads; but you just send me this link that I will read.

I know I am lucky to be here and I truly appreciate the advise of everyone. Just be patient with us newbies as we don't know everything that you know and we are learning to become healthier.

Thank you
Ruby
beemerbeeper
on 8/2/11 3:24 am - AL
You are doing great.

As for salads they still don't sit well for me.  I think they are really hard to digest.  But for cut with a fork?  I can cut filet mignon, good hamburger steaks, all kinds of meat salads (tuna, chicken) and any cheeses. Almost all fish, even shrimp would be good.  I would avoid dry hard meat.

If you lived the rest of your life on only 65 grams of protein you would be in a world of hurt and I wish they would understand that at his office. 

Meats swimming in mayo or melted cheese did really well for me early out.  Insides of tacos, (without lettuce) chili with cheese, things like that.

You have a lot more options now. 

Sitck with us.  You are going to do GREAT!!!  It will be the ride of your life!!!

Hugs,

~Becky

Mel_Ga
on 8/1/11 3:38 pm
I am about 10 days out with the same surgeon!  What does he do at the one week and one month visit?  I could not go to the one week visit. I am doing great though.
rubytica
on 8/2/11 1:02 am - GA
The one week appt is very similar to the one month appt. In the one week, he basically wants to see your incisions and check on you in regards to how you are feeling and what vits, medicine and protein you are taking.  At one month it is the same but with the difference that they weigh you.

How are you holding out with the liquid diet?

Good Luck
Ruby
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views