My surgery is this Monday....Freaking out

Robyn D.
on 5/7/13 11:35 pm - Stamford, CT
RNY on 05/13/13

Hi There,

I'm scheduled for gastric bypass this Monday and I'm having mixed feelings....can anyone give me some advice or re-assurance?? 

Regards,

Robyn :)

TheDarkqueen64
on 5/8/13 12:11 am - euclid, OH

Hi Robyn!  I just had the gastric sleeve on 4/30/13 and I know where you are at.  You are going through the mental struggle I went through because lets face it, this is a very serious procedure to achieve weight loss and you are naturally concerned about your well being and life afterward.  Just relax and be reassured that when you chose this journey, you reached a point where you are taking back your life and getting in control.  Kind of like hitting the restart on the computer, you are restarting your life from the madness of crash diets, fitness fads and insanity.  I went through a little anxiety, but I began to pray and ask God to give me peace and take me through the surgery and recovery and remind me of the responsibility I have to live my best life.  Robyn, you will be fine, and  I applaud you for taking the step to take control of your life, and think of it this way, we who have gone through bariatric surgery are some pretty brave souls, because we made a life choice for us!  Many people struggle just to decide what to wear each day, but we chose to go through countless insurance hurdles, out of pocket expenses, classes and the like to live our lives free of chronic illness, pain and a lifetime of bondage.  I pray God gives you the peace you need and remember, follow your doctor's recommendations to the letter, including diet, exercise and keep your appointments and you will be successful.  angryYOU GO GURL!!!!!!angrykiss

Robyn D.
on 5/8/13 12:18 am - Stamford, CT
RNY on 05/13/13

This is soooooo what I need(ed)!!!  THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!  I'm sitting in my office at work and every two minutes I'm in tears.  People come in to say hi and to see how I am and I break down....I'm printing this out so I can read it over and over....THANK YOU!!!!

How were you feeling after the surgery while you were in the hospital?  How long did you stay in?

TheDarkqueen64
on 5/8/13 9:19 am - euclid, OH

My surgery was 4/30/13.  I stayed in the hospital two days.  They get you up and walking, this is very important because you want to keep your respiratory open and prevent blood clots, plus the walking helps to deal with the pain, trust me.  The first day was rough, but the nurses were very encouraging and helpful and the more I walked, the stronger I became.  Robyn, be strong, just think of the goals you made for yourself, when you get there you will be able to say you did it and with God's help, you can!  Read Philippians 4:13:  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" to encourage you and surround yourself with people who love you and support you in your journey.    I think what would also help you if you seek out a support group in your area for bariatric patients who have had the RNY procedure.  That way, there will be someone local to cheer you on and help you in your new life.  I just joined a support group and can't wait to attend my first meeting.  I will be going for my two-week weigh-in on Monday, and I will be praying for you while you are in surgery and during this new life we have chosen.  You can always drop me a line to let me know how you are doing, and again-YOU GO GURL!!!!!angryangrykiss

The Darkqueen64

Robyn D.
on 5/19/13 12:08 pm - Stamford, CT
RNY on 05/13/13

Are you on facebook?

JA
on 6/9/13 10:30 pm - East Haven, CT

Hi Robyn,

I'm just reading your post, and hopefully you are on the "other" side by now.  Know that you have made the best decision for yourself.  I am almost 9 years out of surgery and would do it again in a NY minute.  Best of luck to you, you should be very proud of yourself!!
JA

Robyn D.
on 6/11/13 12:14 am - Stamford, CT
RNY on 05/13/13

Hi There,

Yes, the 13th will be one month and I'm down 25lbs.  It's nothing I expected.  I haven't gotten sick once and am not sure I'm doing things right...LOL  I think I hear all of the horror stories and I'm expecting those all to happen to me.  Nothing yet and for that I'm ecstatic. 

Where are you from?  Have you gained any of your weight back?

Thanks for reaching out....

Robyn enlightened

JA
on 6/11/13 3:31 am - East Haven, CT

Hi Robyn,

Congratulations to you on your WL!  That is awesome!!! angryThis July I will celebrate 9 yrs out of surgery and am at my lowest weight (-100lbs).  I have from time to time, gained +/- 10 lbs and managed to get it off, with a lot of hard work.  Some advice for you is not to take back carbs or sugar...they are our enemy!  Stay focused on protein and veggies and fruit. I didn't get sick for a long time because I was careful and a good rule follower, but it did happen, and was not pretty devil

I have had problems with hair loss and am again experiencing it.  I'm working with my doctor to see if it is diet related.  That's the only problem I really have had.  I am totally off of all of my bp meds and my arthritis meds as well :). 

I am from the New Haven area and had my surgery at Yale with Dr. Bell.  He just left Yale, and all of his patients are sad, because he was an awesome support to all of us! 

I wish you the very best, and feel free at any time to reach out.

Best to you.

JA

chrispy_man
on 6/11/13 8:43 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Awesome news. Glad you went through with it. My best adice recognize that you are in a very special period where you can form new and better habits. The better you do during this phase the better you will probably do afterwards. Follow the guidelines your Dr and NUT provided

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Robyn D.
on 6/12/13 12:42 am - Stamford, CT
RNY on 05/13/13

I'm just nervous that this surgery won't work no

Most Active
Recent Topics