Has anyone had Dr. Coates?

juliew
on 6/3/14 4:01 pm - Stockton, CA

Hello everyone. I've been around OH for a number of years, but don't post very often. I finally have health insurance (Medi-Cal) and my PCP has sent a referral for me to have WLS (I want to have the DS) and am supposed to be attending a seminar in August. I don't know what surgeons will be at this seminar, but I believe that one of them will be Dr. Coates (who works out of the Modesto/Stockton area). I know that he has been doing the RNY for a number of years and only started to do the DS within the last few years. I am curious on his stats with the DS only since that is the surgery I wish to have. Has anyone here had him do their DS and how was your experience with him and the outcome of your surgery?

Thanks,

Julie

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

cabin111
on 6/5/14 6:31 am

I'm 7+ years out...From Turlock.  I've been to many support groups and heard Dr. Coates and Coirin speak.  The first thing that comes to mind is which Dr. Coates is doing the surgery...Junior or Senior?  Dr. Coates' son in now doing WLS in the area.  Don't know if he still is or not.  Both father and son had to be general surgeons for many years.  Senior is a fine surgeon...Coirin too.  Haven't heard about the son.  The DS is a very long surgery (hours and hours to do).  By looking at your profile picture you probably would do well with it.  Over the years Coirin and Coates didn't want to take the time to train to do that surgery...Maybe that has changed or maybe Jr is taking it on.  Good luck, Brian

juliew
on 6/7/14 5:34 am - Stockton, CA

I got my surgery program seminar letter in the mail yesterday. I can check off for Dr. Coirin or either of the Dr. Coates (Jr. and Sr.) to do my surgery. I've been to a couple of Dr. Coirin's support group meetings when he had them at Doctor's Hospital in Manteca. But that was back around 2005/2006 after my mom had her RNY (she's since had a revision to the DS). I think I may just go to the seminar and find out then which of the them does the DS, instead of picking one of them now and having to possibly switch it around.

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

cabin111
on 6/7/14 9:35 am

Just looked and saw...Dr. Coates does do the DS.  As of a few years ago he didn't.  I think both him and Coirin felt there was too much malabsorption involved at the time.  Again I'm over 7 years out...Thing change, studies are made...Doctors revise their thoughts.  When I first got my RNY it was pretty new.  Not much info on the internet.  Now everybody knows of the RNY.  Then (about 4 years ago), for lighter weight people (who were under about 50, with few comorbities, and only 60-100 pounds to lose) they started to do many more Gastric Sleeves.  Ideas change over the years.  My dad was about the 10th person in the world to have a heart bypass in the 70's.  Are you telling me you'll take a vain from my legs, arms, and chest and put them on my heart!!  Are you nuts??!!  Now we think nothing of it.  Good luck on the process.  Brian

Taniesa
on 3/20/15 1:17 pm

Interested in this question too as I was just referred to Dr. Coates for a revision consult. I had RNY done at Stanford in 2003. I would love to know your impression of the doctor :) thanks!

juliew
on 3/20/15 5:08 pm - Stockton, CA

I don't really have an impression of Dr. Coates yet. My 6th visit at his office is this coming Thursday (though I may have to reschedule), but I have yet to meet him. Dr. Coates has been performing the DS for under 4 years and does not perform revisions as far as I'm aware, so I would check with his office on that. And from what I'm heard he is not actually performing the standard DS on patients, he is doing a modified version that is closer to an RNY. My mom had an RNY in 2005 and had a revision to the DS done in 2009 by Dr. Keshishian. He is one of the top 3 DS surgeons in the country. He is down in Glendale, but 100% worth the drive. I would seek him out for your revision if possible. If you are on facebook, there are some good support groups on there. Dr. K has a page for his practice. The link is facebook.com/dssurgery

I am actually supposed to meet Dr. Coates at my next appointment. I have been going around the DS groups I am in on facebook about him not giving me the surgery I want, as in all of my appointments I was never told I would get a modified version. I only found out through one of his PA's that my mom knows and I think someone slipped the info to Dr. Coates about it because suddenly his office called the other week wanting me to have my next appointment with him per his request. So I will know more then about having an impression on him and can come back here to let you know if you want. 

Wanting the DS! 

Taniesa
on 3/21/15 2:40 am

That would be great. Please keep me updated. As far as I am aware (and I am just beginning the process of seeking a revision) is that he is the only doctor that will cover revision with my insurance. However I don't know if that is true as I have a PPO. I had thought about returning to Stanford but I really REALLY hated my hospital stay (the surgeon was fantastic though but no longer there)

Unfortunately traveling to Southern CA isn't a very good option for me with having young children and no family to help in watching them for an extended period of time. 

Best of luck with your process!!!

juliew
on 4/8/15 8:16 pm - Stockton, CA

Hi. I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I did see on Dr. Coates website the other day that it says he does do revisions to the DS, however he no longer actually performs that surgery, so his website is outdated. He is giving all of his patients a Loop (also called the SADI) instead. Even if it is without their knowledge. I know of at least 2 patients of his who went into surgery thinking they were getting the traditional DS and came out with the Loop.

This is the emoticon that explains how I feel about that -->  

I would stay away from him unless you are ok with getting a Loop. Even then, you may want to try finding another surgeon who is more experienced. Dr. Coates started performing the DS less than 4 years ago and only started performing the Loop this past September. There is also no long term data for the Loop surgery. There is less malabsorbtion, but long term wise nobody knows how well that plays out in keeping the weight off.

There's a Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco, he might easier to travel to than Dr. K. He's one of the top DS surgeons in California, just like Dr. K is.

Wanting the DS! 

tysweetpea
on 12/1/15 9:15 pm - NEWMAN, CA

Hi....just checking to see how things are going with your decisions for a revision.  I also have medi-cal (health plan of san joaquin) and just found out that coates will see me for a consult for a revision.  he wasnt before because he only wanted to do revisions for the patients he did the original rny for...but now he will....what is the latest info you have of your experience with coates for your revision consults. 
julie - if you have medi-cal how do you go to dr. rabkin...out of network?  thanks =)

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

juliew
on 12/2/15 1:44 am - Stockton, CA

I was trying to go see Dr. K while still on HPSJ and of course they denied it. I could have appealed the denial, but I realized even if I won I wouldn't have the money to pay for vitamins & such so I'm holding off until next year. You could try the same thing with Dr. Rabkin's office. His website is paclap.com. When his office tries to put your insurance through it'll get denied and you could do an appeal. I don't really know how those work though or how hard it is to win.

It's been almost a year since Taniesa commented about going to Dr. Coates for a revision and I still haven't heard of anyone actually getting one done from him. He probably has, but I don't think it's a lot. So if you still go to him, get as much info on how many he's done, the outcomes and how well those patients are doing. 

Wanting the DS! 

Most Active