5 1/2 Years Later after Surgery (RNY)

waarce
on 9/23/11 3:43 pm, edited 9/23/11 3:44 pm - Pasadena, CA
I had a RNY on February 2005 and lost a lot of weight.  I went from 320 to 146 lbs.  I had problems with my RNY since scar tissue developed causing a partial obstruction.  I had to go the hospital approximately a couple of years ago and had to have a scope.  Since then I gained like 50 pounds back, not too happy about but, look a lot healthier since I am now able to eat more.  Needless to say, I put myself back on a diet, yep a DIET to lose some of the extra weight I gained.   It is much easier to go on diet with the bypass since I cannot still eat as much as I used to.

Lessons learned is that this is not a magic cure, you need to work at being on a diet FOR LIFE.  There are no free rides.  The surgery helps but, if you make the mistakes that I made, you will gain all of the weight back, albeit slowly, but all of it back and some.  I am kind of sorry I went to the hospital and had the scope done but, I was getting too underweigh, now I am trying hard not to let the weight gain get out of hand.

Additionally, I became quite depressed over issues regarding two of my kids who are special needs.  The doctor gave me anti-depressants.  Those are not good, they make you eat and gain weight.  I stopped taking them and the weight gain stopped.  I do have chronic kidney disease which was a result of being overweight in the past and suffering from hypertension.  So, after spending a few years without taking meds, I am taking two for my kidney condition.  The nephrologist gave me an anti-hypertensive and something to lower cholesterol althoug I have no cholesterol.

All I want to say is that don't think that the surgery is going to take care of your weight, you need to take of i****ch what you eat and follow through with the program.  I can say that I have done a few things that I should not do such as drinking diet soda and regular soda on occassion, chew gum, stopped taking my protein and vitamins, got tired of them.  Now, I have to start all over so I can get back to a weight that I could live with not too fat and not too thin.  When I was thin, I was happy but, I was really thin to the point that people were worrying about me.  I looked sick.

Just keep things in mind.  I don't need a revision, there is not such a thing, you just need to follow through with the commitment that you made to yourself when you had the surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 7:42 am - CA
Congrats on the success you have had. Yes it's a life long change, and some ust don't get that.
keep up the good work!
dicastro1010
on 9/27/11 2:05 pm - Escondido, CA
I really appreciate the honesty of your post. I am definitely afraid of losing a lot and then regaining. That would be devastating.

Congratulations on everything and thank you for the warnings!
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Most Active