can anyone help a lost sheep?

bcrugbygirl
on 2/10/06 11:44 pm - Chilliwack, BC
Hey there... So im new to this whole thing.. im kinda confused at how you go about finding a person to do the surgery. Im from Chilliwack BC Im 20 almost 21 and ive been overweight my entire life. My current weight is 365 and Im 6'0 tall... I had an appointment for a dr on the island but it took a year to get in and I couldnt make it across to the island. I was hoping something closer would be better. Im a university student and I want to make it to old age but at this rate that Im going it seems like ill be a 1000 lbs by then if i dont do something about it. I dont think my g.p would support this because shes all about doing it yourself without help but i think i need help right about now... can anyone help a lost sheep (me) with this whole thing Thanks Jessica =)
Tracey67
on 2/18/06 1:30 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi Jessica, Sounds like you had an appt with Dr. Amson on the island, as he is the only doc to perform the rny. There is help to get from chilliwack to the island, there is a for called the TAP (travel assistance program) apparently it pays for travel to and from the island for you and one other person plus your vehicle. It has to be filled out from you family doctor. Look it up on the internet. There is a site you should join. Do you know about Dr. Amson's site? There is TONS of support there. The web address is: http://www.victoriabariatricsurgery.com/index.html There is also a support group that has lots of post-ops and pre-ops: http://victoriabariatricsurgery.com/smf/index.php Good luck to you! Email me privately if you have any more questions. I live in Surrey. [email protected] Tracey
lmsmith
on 2/18/06 2:00 am - Burnaby, Canada
Dr Woodhead is/was going to be performing the surgery. He is located in Delta. I am not sure if he has gotten his hospital privelages for the surgery yet. Also, there is a Center for Bariatric Excellence going in at UBC sometime in the future. I gave up on the waiting and self paid and had it done in Mexico. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 Dr Joya - PV Mexico 274/247/199/140
bcrugbygirl
on 2/20/06 4:50 pm - Chilliwack, BC
how was mexico? it seems kind of sketchy getting it done down there and not up here. That would be cool if UBC had something... It seems like Canada is way behind on the bariatric surgeries compared to the states... anyways thanks for your response
lmsmith
on 2/20/06 11:24 pm - Burnaby, Canada
Mexico was great!! I was totally surprised at the hospital, it was state of the art and cleaner and better staffed than any hospital I have ever been in. The service was also way better!!! I am not sure what the time frame is for the UBC thing, but that's what Dr Woodhead told me. Leanne
Most Active