frequency of painful adhesions

Mike Mo
on 4/22/11 9:28 am - Winnetka, CA
Hello, I have the VSG scheduled for next week, but I am starting to get scared of complications. I have anxiety a lot, so even if it is the best thing for me to do, I'm sure I'll still be scared. But I wanted to get some more objective information. I've heard that painful adhesions are one complication of any surgery, and there are some "horror stories" on the internet. My understanding is that several problems with adhesions (such as bowel obstruction) are more likely to occur with the GP. It's hard for me to find any statistics on the VSG, which apparently hasn't been studied as much.

My biggest fear is permanent pain from adhesions, so I was wondering if anyone knows where to get statistics on that. I'm also meeting with my surgeon next week but want to do research right away.

cindymomof4
on 4/22/11 10:45 am - Greenwood, IN
I just wanted to say I've never heard of painful adhesions with the VSG. I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think it's something you should worry about!
sleeve genie
on 4/22/11 11:10 am - Alhambra, CA
I never heard of that in connection with the sleeve.  With the bypass they cut and rearrange the intestines and that can cause obstructions and adhesions,  but with the sleeve they don't touch our intestines,  just make the tummy smaller.  Much less complications with the sleeve.  My father had a partial gastrectomy,  which is what the sleeve is,  in 1950 because of stomach ulcers so they have been doing this surgery for many years,  just not as a stand alone bariatric surgery so there are statistics available,  google gastrectomies maybe for more info.  good luck,  i LOVE my sleeve and will be 11 months post op next week  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 417 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 438 views