Considering WLS

Jetta311
on 5/8/19 9:43 am

I'm currently on WW and seeing a diet coach from my doctor. I'm down 25 lbs. Was asked if I wanted WLS and really don't know. I have risk factors but am healthy.

Mom thinks I should stick with ww and not risk my health. But my insurance covers wls not ww and i don't feel like I can really succeed on ww. For 4 months I have gained and lost the same 5 lbs. I need more help. I do have a psychiatrist who wouldn't approve diet pills. Which I know is a step toward wls.

Not sure I'd even qualify honestly, but really think it may be the only way for me to be thin. I'm 244 lbs 5'4" bmi says I should be 108 to 146. I'm getting older and think I can't control my weight on my own. And need help. But worry about deficiencies.

kairosgrammy
on 5/8/19 11:50 am
RNY on 10/17/17

I checked your BMI, it is 41.6 so you would most likely qualify without co-morbidities i.e. blood pressure etc. I did WW multiple times. I don't really like Freestyle and think that although some do really well on it, for most all the zero point foods are a fatal flaw.

I do WW, not for the eating plan, Tiny P takes cares of the eating plan, pretty much. I do it more for the support and accountability and I am Lifetime now so I don't have to pay.

With all of that, I am so glad I finally pulled the trigger on WLS and if I could go back, I would have done it a lot sooner, before all my co-morbidities took over my life. My surgeon said that the only surgery safer than bariatric surgery is a laparoscopic appendectomy. It is safer than gall bladder surgery which I think most people consider just your average, every day surgery, no big deal. Surgery is always a risk but bariatric surgery is pretty safe. One thing though is research your surgeon. Mine had a great record and has been doing WLS for 25 years, lots of experience. Because I chose, based on my research and having GERD to do an RNY Bypass, he was a really good fit because he preferred doing bypasses. Sorta winner, winner, chicken dinner.

The surgery wasn't bad, my recovery was easy (I was 65 so that's saying a lot) and I've had very few problems. I eat pretty normally although a lot less food than the average bear and life is good. I lost 200 lbs which I never, ever thought I could do and it amazes me on a daily basis.

If you have tried multiple times to lose weight and yoyoed, if you haven't already destroyed your metabolism, you are probably well on the way to doing that. One of the benefits of WLS is that many experience a metabolism reset of sorts. I know I have. I just have never regretted my decision. I feel better, look better and am so much healthier. Life isn't perfect but pre-surgery I was on a walker and was pretty crippled with back pain and knee pain. I still have some pain but nowhere close to what I did have. Excess weight is horrible on the joints and you don't want to get to the point where it becomes an issue or other obesity related issues start popping up and they will. Guaranteed. So even if you decide against WLS, definitely continue to work on weight loss.

All that being said, you have to pick the option that feels best for you. Which surgery is right for you? If you don't have GERD or diabetes, a sleeve might be a better option seeing as your weight isn't as high as some. If you do have GERD or are pre-diabetic, RNY may be a better option. Or you may want to wait and see if you can get the weight off without surgery. Your choice has to right for you. Do your homework and explore your options. Know what the changes will be because life will be different. Not really bad different but different. As you can probably tell, I'm heavily for WLS but I will also say, if you aren't emotionally ready for it, wait until you are, it's a huge decision.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

Partlypollyanna
on 5/8/19 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Talk with your physician, talk with your support team (medical/mental), and do some research If you have the opportunity, check out a bariatric seminar to understand what your options are.

This forum is a great place to get questions answered, see what challenges and opportunities WLS can bring, get a better understanding of what the surgery does to your body and the work you would still need to on a day to day basis (vitamins, exercise, food choices, head hunger issues). Use the search function above the forum name and you can find lots of information.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

sor09
on 5/8/19 1:40 pm

Diet pills are not a part of WLS. There is a lot of information out there and these forum are a few of many. A Bariatric professional can also help. If you can, see the video diaries from all types of people from pre operation and post op to help you understand what you can expect from the WLS journey. YT.... Had lost of video diaries. Best wishes on regaining your health and quality of life.

White Dove
on 5/8/19 5:22 pm - Warren, OH

I had RNY in 2007. I still do Weigh****chers. Surgery helps you get the weight off but it does not keep the weight off. Keeping the weight off is achieved by correct eating and sufficient exercise. Weigh****chers is full of weight loss surgery patients. For a while they were considering a bariatric weigh****chers diet.

At least 80% of people who would benefit greatly from weight loss surgery never get it. It is seen as the easy way out and people will discourage you. For the first few years after surgery, it is the easy way out. For me, it was that I was following the diet and exercise that I always did, but suddenly it was actually working.

After a few years, the body recovers from the surgery and you have to work harder every year to keep from regaining. Surgery is not once and done and controlling what you eat will be lifelong.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Mary Gee
on 5/9/19 9:06 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

As Jen suggested above, you should go to a Weight Loss Surgery Orientation to learn more.

I struggled with my weight most of my life, and tried everything....WW, Nutrasystem, Jenny Craig, Atkins, pills, hypnosis, acupuncture, etc., etc., etc. I would lose weight, and gain it all back.

Weight Loss Surgery has changed my life. Wish I had it done sooner.

Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. Learn all you can, and if you make up your mind to go ahead, do it for yourself. Your life will change for the better. Read the various forums here and you'll learn a lot.

Also, check into your insurance to be sure you have coverage. If not, check out the forum regarding surgery in Mexico.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

LindyLin
on 5/9/19 4:10 pm

No one can make the decision but you. But I can say that having bypass was the best decision of my life. I am super active now, happily (!!). No more migraines, used to have two per week at least. I sleep so well, my anger issues have basically disappeared. My body is thankful.

But it isn't magic. I have a lot of extra skin. I have to watch what I eat 24/7 and that will never change. Sweets will always be like a drug for me and I'll never be comfortable with that struggle.

I suggest seeing a counselor for a while and hashing it out. I saw someone weekly for about three months beforehand and it helped me immensely to come to terms with what I wanted to do. You need to be mentally and emotionally strong to be successful with this surgery so make sure you're going into it as ready as possible.

HW: 286

SW: 264

CW: 163

RNY on 7/10/18 with Dr. K. Vaziri, Washington DC

Extended TT, Breast Lift, and Lipo with Fat Transfer to Buttocks on 7/24/19 with Dr. Joseph Michaels

Lower face and neck lift, 7/27/20, Dr. Henry Sandel

LindyLin
on 5/9/19 4:13 pm

And I forgot to mention... BY FAR the biggest surprise to me was how other people would change after my surgery. I've lost some friends, most of whom are insecure (and jealous I guess? But it feels weird to say that). My family is still weird about it and talks about it all the time, whereas I'm ready to move on and live my new lifestyle without obsessively talking about the surgery. So again, being mentally strong is imperative.

HW: 286

SW: 264

CW: 163

RNY on 7/10/18 with Dr. K. Vaziri, Washington DC

Extended TT, Breast Lift, and Lipo with Fat Transfer to Buttocks on 7/24/19 with Dr. Joseph Michaels

Lower face and neck lift, 7/27/20, Dr. Henry Sandel

seattledeb
on 5/9/19 4:43 pm

Your mom isn't the one who lives in your body.

What RnYsurgery does is both mechanical..having a pouch with a small capacity of food and malabsorption of calories. The combination allows for rapid weight loss in the first 12-18 months.

It gives you a running start to get down to the weight you can maintain.

The cost is taking vitamins for life and following the diet guidelines.

It is not easy. Research everything

Good luck.

Lucile777
on 5/15/19 8:27 pm

I wish I had controlled myself better and get my stomach and digestive system back. I'm struggling with regain and had a lowest weight of 161, but am up to 173. Junk food is so easy to take in right now such as chips and chocolate and grazing all day. BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Most Active
Recent Topics