How do you eat enough?

downsize54
on 3/12/12 9:07 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12
Still working towards surgery (DS/VSG), have been practicing eating 100gm protein just to see how much that is. Holy Smoke, it seems hard to do, if eating "real" food (not protein drinks). Doesn't all that food stretch out the sleeve? I really want to NOT think about food all the time (for once in my life, I want to focus on being healthy and not constantly on what I'm eating). Are you eating all the time? What are the least expensive ways to do this? Do you get tired of all the chicken, tuna, etc? I am so ready to do something nabout this life long wt issue, but just want to know I can.
Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 9:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I am indeed a grazer, but it's easy because I own a BBQ.  I eat a few oz here and there of meat and random other things throughout the day.  Hubby says I eat like a bird...a little bit at a time, but all the damn time.  Early out it was hard, especially when I thought all protein drinks were gross, but we go into this expecting the stomach to stretch some, and I can eat about 5-6 oz now from the 2.5oz I started with.  I made things like sugar free custard, ricotta fluff, and flourless peanut butter cookies as high protein punch, quick go-to snacks to nibble on in between meals.  I don't obsess about food, but I do a mental tally of the protein I've consumed and say it's time I had a little more.  When you're not at all concerned about fat, you can get a lot more of the protein in.  Ricotta cheese, for example, has 28g in just a cup, and you can make it sweet or savory depending on what you like.  Just imagine enjoying all things gooey without a care in the world about it.  It doesn't suck.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 3/12/12 10:19 am
Protein is pretty dense, but yes, I do eat often. I nibble on things like cheese, nuts, and meat several times a day.
sassyjonz
on 3/12/12 10:38 am - Atlanta, GA
I second what the other respondents have said. You just kind of eat very often. I eat about 8-10 oz at my main meals and then eat small mostly protein snacks. Basically, I get hungry about every 2-2.5 hours. Believe me, you will be able to get it all in but it takes some time. Some days are better than others and if I am extremely busy, that might be a day when I don't get it all in. But it's no big deal. As long as you stay on top of your vits, you'll be good. I just had my annual labs and my doc said I have labs most patients would pay to have.

And no, I don't get sick of the proteins.  You just have to get a variety.  But I really do crave protein most of the time I have cravings.  It all becomes second nature at some point.

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

Valerie G.
on 3/15/12 1:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You're so right about labs.  My labwork for life insurance came back so good this year that I got a discount, and partial refund on my premium.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JazzyOne9254
on 3/18/12 10:18 am

Thank GOD there's another DSer out there who can hold 8-10 ounces at a meal!

I was beginning to think I was overeating!  At 3 years, I'm just creeping toward my goal of 160, but I'm almost there!  Actually, I'm fine with where I am right now, and after the plastics to remove the loose skin, I'll be closer to what I call "chart" weight.

I actually feel like I'm eating more now than I ever did when I was SMO, but it's the frequency, not the quantity.  I'm also eating more nutrient-dense foods.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

downsize54
on 3/14/12 4:02 am - MI
DS on 07/12/12
 Thank you all for your thinking/input on this. Just wanting to make sure I can do what's expectedand healthy which ever way the surgery goes.

JazzyOne9254
on 3/18/12 9:29 am
Personally, I am beginning to get a little bit sick of eating all the time!

Yes, I do eat all the time, but for the first time, I'm making healthy choices.  I look at the nutrition facts on everything that I buy.  If it's got less than 7 grams of protein, I don't buy it!  Of course, I do eat fresh fruits and vegetables, but not until I have, or am close to getting all my protein in! There is an occasional treat like dark chocolate or some sinfully rich dessert, but mostly it's all protein, all the time!

Hydration is also important with the DS, as the body needs water for every metabolic, catabolic and anabolic process that takes place!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Julie R.
on 3/18/12 10:03 am - Ludington, MI
 At 5.5 years plus out, I have no problem eating enough!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Nopenname
on 3/19/12 6:48 am - Tacoma, WA
 I don't eat 100g of protein I drink 150 in shakes every day and take my vitamins and then eat what I feels like mostly. 

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 984 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 448 views