Foods You Avoid

kathy215
on 4/26/11 7:54 am
I'm just curious as to what foods you guys avoid b/c it either makes you gassy or uncomfortable, or foods you avoid just because? I am about 11 weeks out and the only foods so far that bother me is roast pork, Sure foods make me gassy but I need to start to really note which foods do that to me.  I am avoiding any refined sugars and do limit my carbs. I just found a low card wrap today, I was dying to have  a wrap and it was delicious !!!

Kathy 
Nopenname
on 4/26/11 8:05 am - Tacoma, WA
1. Milk and ice cream if I don't have lactaid around (sometimes even then I still indulge in ice cream). 

2. LOTS of regular iceburg lettuce. I prefer softer greens like baby spinach. But again, I'll eat some lettuce, especially in BLTs. 

3. Drinking sugar. I dunno It seems like a silly rule at this point for someone who eats ALL THE SUGARS and always has, but I drink sugar free drinks only (Soda, tea, coffee, etc.). I just think of it like this: if I am going to starbucks, I don't want a 250g of sugar DRINK when I could be having AN AWESOME BROWNIE instead. 

But...I will and have pretty much eaten everything. Stuff that is tough on people's stomachs (Beef jerky, rice, lettuce and other roughage) as well as things that cause gas (all the flours and sugars)

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

mylittleblackdress
on 4/26/11 8:24 am - FL
Anything with white flour. 
adkmtngirl
on 4/26/11 8:53 am - Brant Lake, NY
 I try to do all things in moderation (after all, I have kids and sometimes we have special occasions we have to celebrate), but I really try to avoid white flour & pasta (unless it's Barilla Plus, that doesn't upset my stomach). My family doesn't want to be near me if I've had those things. 

Kristina

beemerbeeper
on 4/26/11 8:53 am - AL
Gluten.  Which is in a lot of things you don't expect to find it.  So I really read lables.

Lactose.  I just don't drink milk any more.  I can do carb smart ice cream and whipping cream.

I used to be VERY senstive to sugar alcohols but I can do them in small doses now.

~Becky

southernlady5464
on 4/26/11 9:16 am
I'm lactose intolerant post op so I avoid basic milk products unless it's a lactaid variety. I also take a lactaid pill daily so I can now eat small amounts of regular ice cream. My husband (also a DS'er) and I share an Edy's Snack Size cup (it's a one serving size so splitting it makes it a half a serving).

I'm eating salads and each week add another item to my salad so that if something disagrees with me, I know who the culprit is.

Haven't tried roast pork and it's my favorite. So thanks for the reminder.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Julie R.
on 4/26/11 9:27 am - Ludington, MI
 The only thing I REALLY avoid is cheap ice cream, milk shakes, Dairy Queen, and such.   I can tolerate really good ice cream in smaller doses.   I don't drink milk.   Stuff like that just isn't worth the pain.    I do not like plain chicken breast or pork loin - it is too dry.   I eat small quantities of flour now, but any more than a cookie or two, or a slice of bread gives me gas.   That doesn't mean I don't act stupidly on all too frequent occasions though, but fortunately, my husband has a terrible sense of smell, LOL.   If I am going to be staying somewhere public, taking a long airplane flight, etc.  I will avoid all white flour and sugar completely.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Larissa P.
on 4/26/11 9:48 am - Denton, TX
Anything with high sugar - 8 or more grams (unless it's late at night and I'm willing to put up with the consequences)

Anything with high sugar alchohols - more than 4 grams

White flour of any kind (I try for whole grains only and in small quantities)

Anything that is green - I know it sucks, but greens (lettuce, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, celery, etc...) do NOT digest in my system, they come out almost exactly the way they went in.

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 10:36 am
I avoid pasta at all cost (especially spaghetti but probably because it reminds me of my ex-wife).  It just doesn't sit well with me, which I consider a blessing in many ways because it helps me limit my carbs overall. 

Sugar alcohols have started affecting me more and more the farther out I am, so I limit their intake as much as possible.

If I eat white flour, I make sure there is a lot of fat involved also, because that seems to cut down on the side effects.  I'll choose a greasy fried donut over a dry muffin any day of the week (although I've eaten my share of muffins).  My bagels are slathered with butter and cream cheese.  Croissants are dripping with butter. 

I eat ice cream regularly, but I want it to have real heavy cream in it.  I've found that the best ice creams are the ones that scoop out easily even after being in the freezer for a long period of time.  The ones that get hard as blocks of ice seem to have less fats, more sugars and, thus, affect me more.  The ones that leave a creamy layer on my tongue after swallowing are my favorite -- Starbucks ice cream is that way!

I love spicy foods, but Chinese Five Spice doesn't agree with me for whatever reason.

Beyond that, anything's fair game.  I'll try it and see how it affects my gut (if at all) and then judge future consumption based on those effects.

My wife and I have both had DS, so we try to eat the same things so one of us doesn't get to enjoy all the fun. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 984 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 447 views