Back On Track Together

Groups » Back On Track Togeth... » Discussion » Breakfast food - fl...

Breakfast food - flourless- low sugar banana/ pumpkin bread

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/16/10 3:58 am

My recipe is a modification of Shari and PK recipe.  But using less splenda and flax meal and flax seeds - I try to make it more "healthy" food at athe same time as RNY friendly...
I usually make 2 x the volume at once.  1/2 batter use in muffin tins (makes 2 x 12 =24 muffins) the rest I use small loaf forms and have a great breakfast - a quick snack everytime.  The way my recipe works - I get app 8-10 gr of protein per muffin with lots of fiber, some fat, and only 2-3 gr of carbs, and app 80 cal each.  But that will depend on how much fat I use, and the adds-on (flax, walnuts, coconut flakes, etc).  They freeze wonderfully, and my BF loves them too.  Just grab and go.  I make mine every 2 weeks.  Great as gifts for people on a low carb diet. 

Banana and Pumpkin Bread (muffins - makes 24) low carbs and sugar

1 large bananas, smashed

1 can of pumpkin

0.75 – 1 cup erythritol (or splenda)

2 large eggs + 1/4 cup egg whites

1.75 cups vanilla protein powder

1 large Tbs of Cocoa

1/3 cup coconut oil (melted) – can use butter or other fat

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (I gotta have nuts in mine!)

1/4 cup flax seeds,

½ cup flax meal

1/8 cup pumpkin Torani syrup ( or any other syrup t)

1 tsp ginger

1/2 Tbs cinnamon

Salt

Milk – to make sure the consistency of the batter is not too thick –( it shall be like a thick pudding)

Sometimes I add flax seeds and coconut flakes… just because..

Mix the sweetener, fat, bananas, pumpkin, syrup and eggs for 3 minutes.  Sift protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger salt in a separate bowl.  Add flax meal.  Add dry mixture to the wet. Mix well.  Add walnuts and flax seeds.  Make sure it is not too tick.  Add milk as needed.

Oven at 350F.  Grease 2 (12 each) muffin pan.  Pour the batter into the muffin pans (2/3- ¾ high)  and bake for 15 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Or use loaves pans 2   4x8" loaf pans instead, filled to about 1/2 each. They're small enough that you get lots of edges and it can cook through and through.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You can dust the top with cinnamon/Splenda before cooking for a nice glossy brown crustiness

Delicious with butter spread, or a little peanut butter.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cathy W.
on 2/16/10 5:09 am
YUM! Banana and pumpkin anything are my favorites. Thanks for the recipe!!

Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Jody ***
on 2/18/10 10:32 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Yummy sounding!  I have everything except for the flax meal to make it - looks like I need to go to the store again!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/19/10 12:21 am
Jody, you can use it and I personally recommend that - but you do not need the flax meal.
the flax meal - is a great source of fiber and omega 3 oils.  I add the flax meal to almost anything - even meatloaf.  Makes it more "healthy" BTW: if you buy the flax meal - at home try to keep it in a freezer or a fridge.  Otherwise it may spoil really fast...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."