kerry B.’s Posts

kerry B.
on 3/22/14 2:36 am
Topic: RE: Perfect Iron

I began taking Perfect Iron on the advice of my PCP.  My iron levels are normal but my red blood cell indices are trending down (my red blood cells are getting smaller and paler which can indicate a decreasing iron level).  She recommended Perfect Iron (carbonyl iron) because it requires less gastric acid for absorption and may be better absorbed by bariatric patients.  More important, however, is that it does not cause nausea or constipation in many patients and I have already had an issue with constipation in the past.

I began taking it a week ago.  I have had absolutely no nausea and my stools have actually be softer since 24 hours after the first dose.  So win-win.  It will be several months before my next bloodwork but I will report the results at that time

So now my question.  I cannot find a good reference for how much carbonyl iron to take as a VSG patient.  I can find multiple sources for basic doses in non-bariatric patients but nothing for me.  Any thoughts?

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

kerry B.
on 3/22/14 2:14 am
Topic: RE: constipation

I had a difficult time early on as well.  Preop I already had GI struggles and suffer with fissures sometimes.  I tried so many things before I found what worked for me.  Now I eat Metamucil Multigrain Wafers once daily and rarely have a problem.  The only time I have a problem is when I forget to eat them one day.  

The worst thing I tried was Miralax.  I took a single half dose and had (apologies) explosively painful results.  Never again.

on another note, I started taking Perfect Iron and have actually had even less of a problem.  Most iron supplements cause constipation, but Perfect Iron for me has made things easier.

kerry B.
on 3/15/14 11:55 am
Topic: RE: fresh mozzarella

And basil and little bitty heirloom tomatoes!

kerry B.
on 3/15/14 11:54 am
Topic: RE: Fiber

Metamucil multigrain wafers.  Two wafers a day.  I will sing it from the rooftops!!  16 carbs with 5 from fiber so 11 net carbs.  They have both soluble and insoluble fiber (everyone always supplements soluble fiber and forgets about insoluble which really made a difference for me).  I had a really difficult time with constipation and fissures for months after surgery.  I tried everything.  It wasn't until I started using these that everything settled down and the pain stopped.  I am a every 2-3 day-er now and no pain.  It is not perfect, mostly because sometimes I forget to eat my wafers.  But as long as I keep up with them I have no problems.  

I also snack on edamame frequently.  They have 9 carbs with 4 gm of fiber so 5 net carbs and they have 8 gm of protein!

kerry B.
on 3/9/14 1:42 am
Topic: RE: Curious

Bingo! That is me exactly.  I can go up to 16 days playing around with 2 pounds up and down and then suddenly down a little for several days.  Frustrating because I keep thinking that it is the end.  But I keep my mantra....just keep swimming...just keep swimming.

kerry B.
on 3/9/14 1:32 am
Topic: RE: I DID IT!!!! I RAN UP THE HILL!!! (w/ video!)

I know I'm not the only one with tears in my eyes watching this video.  Congratulations Nikke!  Thank you for letting everyone into your very personal journey.  I can't even imagine how many people you have inspired.  So many have posted but I have no doubt there are many more that never post, just quietly taking your words and turning them into action for themselves.  It is a pleasure to follow such a powerful story and to witness your grace and humility.  

kerry B.
on 3/3/14 1:33 pm
Topic: RE: NSVs: Present and Future!

Excellent!  Just think of all the stories you will have by then!

kerry B.
on 3/2/14 11:48 am
Topic: RE: NSVs: Present and Future!

So many exciting developments for you lately!  Please come back to Vegas! Would love to show you the best little known corners.

kerry B.
on 3/2/14 11:39 am
Topic: RE: No liquid pre-op diet?

My surgeon did not require any sort of preop diet nor any preop weightloss.  On my own I decided to do two weeks of shakes for breakfast and lunch and dinner of whatever the heck I wanted.  I lost 11 pounds before surgery and was able to have all the things I knew I would miss.  Worked for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views