Jazzing up Greek yogurt

mckate
on 12/6/12 3:33 am

OK, so plain Fage (spell) Greek yogurt has 23 grams of protein in a serving. Yay! I hear everyone talk about how great it is. Well, I find the taste unpalatable - I mean very unpalatable. When I look at the flavored Greek yogurts they all seem to have significantly less protein per serving. So I want to stick to the plain. Does anyone have suggestions on how to jazz it up with something (anything) to enhance/change the flavor?

Thanks

MuttLover
on 12/6/12 3:39 am
VSG on 11/14/12

LOL -- it is great, if you put your Chocolate protein powder in it!  I've also put my Nectar Carribbean Cooler, and the Double Stuffed Cookie -- and when I used the Chobani (which is more tart), I added a little Spenda.

I also have put a little into soup or even into a shake when blending to thicken it.  I don't eat it by itself.  I'm just three weeks out, so a lot of my time has been in liquids -- but adding your protein powder to it really gives you a super high protein meal.  I still have this a couple of time a week for breakfast. 

Mix it up the night before, so the protein powder gets soft and blended well. 

That's all I've done so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing other ideas as well.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

mimij
on 12/6/12 3:54 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

You can add Torani or Davinci sugar free syrups or sugar free instant pudding in your favorite flavor. I use instead of sour cream also with chili and soups and other recipes to boost the protein.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

texasrigdiver
on 12/6/12 4:04 am, edited 12/6/12 4:06 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I love that stuff, pre op I ate 2 cups a day, post op I've eaten one in the last week but I still like them.

My wife recommended an idea that I poo poo'ed but because the natural flavor is sour ( i love sour by the way), I did think I could use that natural sour to bring out other flavors packaged as sweet.

My wife recommended using a pouch of the flavored drink mix like crystal lite. Crystal lite has a bunch of flavors but there are also a bunch of other brands with different flavors. My by far favorite one is crystal lite sunrise which is orange flavored, the end flavor comes out as sour orange and its GREAT. So when your looking at flavors to try, just add the word sour as a prefix to any of the other flavors. Sour lemonade is really good, sour grape is also good, sour cherry pomegranate is tasty too. the only one I've tried and didn't really like was sour mixed berries and still, it wasn't bad, but none of them are as good as sour orange

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

wls2011
on 12/6/12 4:07 am - Ballston Lake, NY

I add Agave Nectar Syrup to mine...it is found in the health food stores, a little squirt makes it a bit sweet, so that I can eat it....it is lower glycemic than sugar, but still a real sweetener. I hate fake sugars.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

reneemosley
on 12/6/12 4:28 am, edited 12/6/12 4:29 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I put sugar free jello pudding mix in mine....Yummm cheesecake flavor. Only takes a couple of teaspoons. I also put dip mixes for a savory veggie dip.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

sleevegirl
on 12/6/12 4:35 am - Austin, TX

I use Walden Farms Carmel DIP (the syrup makes it too watery for me as do the syrups, but I've got texture issues LOL). I hate using that stuff because it's just pure chemicals, but it's how I can get it down.

You can also just toss in a Splenda packet.

For savory, I blend in some powdered ranch dressing and dip cucumbers or smear on chicken or mix in tuna or whatever.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Linda B.
on 12/6/12 4:42 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Here is a recipe that both DH & I like. It tastes like dessert.

1 cup skim milk (anything else & it will not set right)

1 pkg (sm) SF pudding mix, your choice

2 scoops unflavored or complimentary protein powder

2 cups Greek yogurt (we use Fage)

Mix the milk and pudding and protein powder until smooth, than fold in the yogurt. It is best if you can chill this for several hours. It has a creamy mousse type texture. I have the stats in MFP from plugging in the recipe.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

dcsabrina
on 12/6/12 4:58 am - MD

I sometimes mix in a tablespoon of sugar free jam (still has carbs so watch to make sure this works in your overall program). This makes it more like a regular fruit yogurt.

Regarding agave nectar, I bought a huge double pack of this from Costco, right before a lot of bad press started becoming available on this. It's now sitting in my cupboard and I have no idea what to do with it. Some info on this here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

mckate
on 12/6/12 5:09 am

These suggestions are great and I really appreciate the replies. I have one major problem though. I can't eat sugar substitutes because of an Aspertane (spell?) allergy. I can't do Splenda or Truvia because they both leave me with a nasty after taste that lasts days (not kidding, it's actually days). So when it comes to anything sugar free I am screwed. Any more savory suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again