protein sources

KelleyR
on 9/25/12 6:30 am - SC
Can someone help me with my protein. I want to stay around 800-900 cals. My dr says 50 carbs or less and 60-80g for protein. I'm supplementing with quest protein bars. I would like more real food ,but not sure what to eat that is low cal and high protein. My NUT wants be on a balanced reg diet, but I was a carb addict before surgery so I'm afraid to go back down that road. Any advice is appreciated. By the way I'm 3mo out today. Thanks, Kelley!!
Wildcat-NYC
on 9/25/12 6:35 am
VSG on 08/16/12
A bunch of us have open food diaries on my fitness pal.  You can add us and look at our diaries.

I'm wildcatnyc.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Ms Shell
on 9/25/12 6:35 am - Hawthorne, CA
Any animal you like lowest in fat are white meat chicken/poultry.  On AVERAGE 1oz of meat is 6-9g of protein.

Dairy = cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, any cheese (low fat if you'd like), I'd say milk but it's higher in carbs

PERSONALLY I'd focus on protein.  Your quest has carbs.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/25/12 6:41 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Eggs, chicken, fish, scallops, shrimp, turkey, tofu, beef, pork, lamb, game meat...endless ways to prepare all that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rhearob
on 9/25/12 6:46 am - TN

What Ms. Shell said.  Those are pretty much what I ate all through weight loss and still continue to.

I did not use the quest bars until maintenance because of the high calorie and carb loads.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

jule R.
on 9/25/12 8:11 am
VSG on 01/31/12 with
I eat tuna with some mayo(no bread) canned chicken is easy w/ mayo or bbq sauce or even thousand island dressing (again no bread) Weigh****chers cheese sticks easy protein snack w 50 cals.. egg beaters is high protein low cal and easy go to breafast to make a quick scrambled egg...and of course using your protien shake

so with those ideas you can have a plan that looks like this..

B: 1 scoop Pure Protein & 8oz black coffee
s: WW Cheese stick
L: 4 oz canned chicken 2 tsp bbq sauce
s: another ww cheese stick
D: 4 oz chicken breast (baked, grilled etc)
S: either another cheese stick (i love them) or laughing cow cheese wedge

this is 592 cals ( i would throw in something small somewhere to get me to around 650) 23 carbs and 92 gm protein.

another example:

B:1/2 c egg beaters fried w tiny bit of butter
S: laughing cow cheese wedge and 1 WW cheese stick
L: 3 oz tuna in water 1 tbspn Mayo
S: WW cheese stick
D: 3 oz ground chicken (cooked and seasoned) 1/4 c LF mexican blend shredded cheese melted on top
S: another cheese stick

676 cals..only 7 carbs 81 gms protein

Shrimp is also so easy and quick to cook and is very high protein low cal, ground turkey is and easy cook up for turkey chili etc. Good Luck!

KelleyR
on 9/25/12 10:58 am - SC
Thanks so much for the ideas!! You guys are awesome I'm going to try and go back to my syntrax shakes instead of the quest bars. I like the convience of the bars. I hope this helps!!
MsBatt
on 9/26/12 10:23 am
Also be aware that when things are artificially made to be low- or no-fat, the fat is replaced by CARBS. Sneaky!