GERD with sleeve?

cece58
on 7/27/12 4:05 pm - CA
 An improperly done sleeve will cause acid reflux. If done properly it won't be a problem. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Carmelita
on 7/27/12 11:01 pm - Four Corners, NM
Its a risk....usually resolved after a while.

Surgically induced GERD is a problem for us VSGrs....especially when 32F bougies are used.  You'll see a few surgeons who routinely use 32Fs rec. and  routinely put their pts on PPIs  ...which as you prolly know PPIs w/ an altered stomach carries with it... their own set of adverse reactions...taken more than a few months.

Published articles on the ^^ incidence of surgically induced GERD when using 32F bougies as a guide as much of the cardia tissue near the esophagus is severed...leading to cardiac sphincter/valve unable to close properly....albeit temporary (6 months post op usually) about the time these surgeons will stop perscribing PPIs
... Major reason why I requested and received a 34F!  never took a perscribed or OTC PPI /H2 blocker post op....but you have GERD already....your results will not be the same. When you find your surgeon....talk about this....more than likely if s/he cares about YOU, your history....s/he won't be usin no 32 on YOU! 

GERD may be a problem post op for you as well. It CAN be surgically induced or exacerbated. ...it may be a temporary problem with resolution later out...it can be a problem years out. 

It is a comorbidity in needin bariatric surgery....as GERD is common in obesity. 

Sometimes caused by microflora imbalance...poor probiotics vs bad bug ratios...
Sometimes a result of bile reflux disease

Can be behaviorally influenced/.exacerbated 
Reclining, laying down  within 1 hour after eating or drinking anything
Eating 3 hrs before bed...especially greasy, cheesy, fatty foods..meats/ proteins .. fat/s in food take ~5 hours to digest & metabolize
Sleeping on your stomach

Can help..by looking into
probiotics
cayenne.. aloe juice..apple cider vinegar ..  for relief
elevate your side of the mattress...put huge pillows, heavy blankets under
keep head and shoulders elevated while you sleep
sleep on your back, or left side only
sleeping in a recliner post op is thee best position to sleep in w/ GERD 
Stay upright for 1 hour after eating or drinking anything
Don't eat any food and especially those mentioned above within 3 hrs. of goin to bed.
Take yer perscribed meds as ordered. 

GET HEALTHY KAT!  I betcha with VSG, some behavioral changes, taking perscribed meds as intended for real GERD symptoms on a limited basis.....well Im sure you'll be right as rain in no time! 

missdani2u
on 7/28/12 1:50 am
Revision on 08/13/12
Hi Kathy! I have a history of GERD. I'm 5 days out and I had a hital hernia repair as well. No problem with refflux so far. I hope this helps.
Kat1313
on 7/28/12 3:25 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thank you all for your input, it's really helpful.  I think I'm going to end up going for the bypass, as my GERD is severe, to the point it's caused Barrett's Esophagus.....erosion of the lining of the esophagus.  This can lead to cancer of the esophagus, so you can see I'm very concerned about making the right choice.  I'd prefer the sleeve, but think the bypass will be my best bet to control the GERD.  What's the point in having WLS only to end up with esophageal cancer?

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to respond and supply much needed information.
Kathy
Carmelita
on 7/28/12 7:01 am - Four Corners, NM
 Barretts .I didn't know the severity of your GERD.  Why didn'tcha say so lolol!!
Yes,..I do understand that RNY is the preferred bariatric surgery for someone with barretts/BE...but..there are several VSGrs here...and rocking their sleeve like no other  WITH BARRETTS!!  and they got to keep pyloric valve functioning and NOT malabsorb nutrients causing ADDITIONAL problems...long term!  *****ally cares about being skinny if ya ain't healthier at the end of the day in yer life.

Old Medic comes to mind...and Jeris...vets here...and are doing extremely well 3-4 years out...even tho I believe they are on life long PPIs for it. I don't think they post much here anymore.  You just gotta make yer adjustments as far as vitamins/mins, probiotics...to compensate long term PPIs...unlike RNY where you malabsorb micro & macro nutrients. ...on top of perhaps PPIs for BE...and makin adjustments to them.

do a search up above "VSG barretts"    VSG first. ..There's been a few peeps..no lie w/ BE n VSG.
I would definately consult with surgeons!!  There are numerous surgeons out there...that have your best interest at heart...are experienced with GERD/BE and hiatal hernia....that do NOT do the tightest "properly formed"  VSGs but make adjustments, allow room for repair if need be,...AND you'll lose the weight ya need to and more than likely ifind trememdous relief!!...

FIND ONE!! they're out there!!

MY PYLORIC VALVE FUNCTIONING was NON NEGOTIABLE....No I did not have Barretts...No I did not have GERD prior...but IF I DID....I would be searchin hi and lo for a VSG surgeon that would give me what I wanted to preserve a healthy and long lasting life beyond MY FIRST YEAR.......how ever long that life was.  I was lookin at the big picture...20 +years ahead ...if I even make it to 80 

I would not settle...no way.  You do what ya gotta do....Kat...I hear yer fear! 
Post on over to the RNY board...talk to those long timers w/ Barretts.....and RNY  and see what challenges lies ahead. 

post for info on.... "BARRETTS n RNY"... at the RNY board...I would post on over to the MAIN BOARD myself....you'll get a whole wide range of responses from all surgeries...women, men afflicted with it....its not as rare as ya think in the obesity  err...former obesity world!! 

but definately post "BARRETTS" in the topic....that way people w/ info can help ya more! ..

Keep researchin....... the answers will come Kat....they always do!!  

...much luck to ya

happyteacher
on 5/10/14 4:12 am

Yep, and it was terrible.  My doc located a hiatel hernia during the surgery and repaired it.  No heartburn at all since then, and no more drowing in acid. :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active