Confession of a failure

Daviegrandma
on 3/12/12 12:31 am - Davie, FL
OK, here goes... I am hoping to hear from others who have felt like a failure or get some support to get back on track and get real..

I was sleeved July 25, 2011 and so far lost only 42 pounds. I have lost and gained over the past 3 months.. My eating habits are horrible. I find I am still always hungry and eat out of boredom. I eat in the car, I eat in front of the television and now have started to eat in bed. I am eating things I should not. Candy, potato chips, ice cream, chocolate and carbs... Nothing has changed on my head. I do not eat as much, but I still eat the wrong foods.

Daily, I say to myself I am going to get back on track and I fail... I am not exercising and feel like I wasted a great tool.

I need to snap out of it... But how?  

Mom4Jazz
on 3/12/12 12:44 am, edited 3/12/12 12:44 am
Have you considered counseling? I honestly don't believe I could have been successful without it, as I was an emotional and boredom eater. I had to give up almost all simple carbs because I just can't moderate most of those foods, especially starchy ones.

I could suggest purging all that bad stuff out of your house, but the big problem as you said, is often in our heads.

Good luck!

Edit to add: a couple of other things I recommend are to track everything you eat at someplace like myfitnesspal.com (we have a group of OH'ers over there that have friended each other - the more the merrier) and come here every day to get inspired and motivated.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

sleevegirl
on 3/12/12 12:55 am - Austin, TX
Ditto what Mom said. Counseling. I couldn't do it without it.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Mom4Jazz
on 3/12/12 1:01 am
Hijack - Great avatar pic!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Jenny C.
on 3/12/12 1:54 am
Hey, Sleevegirl, love the new avatar!

Ms. Poker Face
on 3/12/12 3:50 am
Another ditto what Mom said!!!!!!!!!!  And I love your new pic SleeveGirl!!!!!!!!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

felicity2u
on 3/12/12 12:56 am - LA
I agree with mom in the post above, we here can give you all the words of wisdom and support to try to get you back on track but like I say all the time, this surgery is 99% mental and 1% physical.  You have to want it! You have to want to get healthy and stick to it.  You know what you are doing wrong, and you know what you have to do.  I would see if your doctor can recommend someone to talk with about it or maybe know of some weight loss groups.  I know you can do it, you would not have come this far if you did not.  Find some support and get yourself set for success in your head and it will happen.

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

BriarRose
on 3/12/12 12:56 am
My best advice is to get out of the negative place you are in, and start to think positive.

For me, I can't go cold turkey -- it's just me. I have to do one or two things at a time - one positive change then make that positive change stick, then do another....so..... start with something one easy and one harder ..... like take your vitamin every morning; and cut out chips. Do that for a week, then add in two more changes .... cut out eating in the bedroom, and bag all snacks to individual serving sizes.

Remember this is about a lifestyle change, not just about losing weight to get to goal.

You can do this ! If I can, you can too !!!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
rhearob
on 3/12/12 12:58 am - TN
 First, Don't feel ashamed of not losing as much as you should have; be proud of what you have lost.

Second, you say nothing changed in your head.  That sounds true.  Myself I am a horrible boredom eater.  I have a couple of tools that work for me.  When I go to graze, and I still do, I look at the sides of boxes and remind myslef how off track that little snack will put me.  I also distract myself - I have a new house with Dark hardwwod floors.  They always need to be cleaned.  I lose weight and my house looks terrific, LOL.

Seriously though, look for support groups in your area to attend.  It always helps me to feel great afterward.  I can get advice from people who have been where I am, and I can offer what help I can to new people.  My center also has a psychologist led support group that is amazing for helping you develop the tools you need to deal with the head issues.  See if your surgeons office has something similar.  IF you can afford it, private therapy sessions may help too.

We all have different tools that work for us.  Mine is numbers and hardwood.  Yours may be something different.  You have to find what works for you and rock that.

The main thing is don't let what happened in the past poison what can be wonderful in the present.  So what, you overate yesterday.  Yesterday is done, it doesn't matter.  All that matters is what you do today for yourself and those you love.  Take the chance today to clean out anything that would tempt you.  Use the garbage disposal as your first tool.  Go for a walk to the store and get the foods that are in your plan.  You can do this.  We all believe in you.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 2:24 am
Don't let what happened in the past poison what can be wonderful in the present. Yesterday is done, it doesn't matter.  All that matters is what you do today.

Okay I
 think this should be a sticky, or a forum motto.  LOVE.
Most Active
Recent Topics