Hardwiring exercise/activity? Ideas?

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 7:20 am

For exercise I use this as my time. Not for anyone just me. It helps me stay focused on myself.

I enjoy walking and listening to music. I am going to try yoga at one point. Just not ready to do it yet.

Librarian67
on 7/6/17 8:04 am
RNY on 02/28/17

The key for me has been that I started walking the day of surgery and I've not stopped. Some days I walk a short distance and some days I really push myself to walk as far as I can. I also started water aerobics as soon as I was released to be in the water and I go twice a week for that and several more times during the week to do laps. I've made it such a habit that I can't imagine a day without it. I don't know that I crave it, just that my day isn't complete without that part in it.

I like to exercise in the morning, but I have tried to be flexible enough to make it fit whatever happens in my day.

I can't recommend exercise enough. It keeps me sane, which is even more important than what it does for my body.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Amy Liz
on 7/6/17 8:15 am
RNY on 11/21/16

For me, I simply won't wakeup early to work out, period. I also have to go to the gym straight from work cuz if I go home first, I won't go back out. I tried about every gym and outdoor activity and found what I like most. The things I don'****ch the clock over or dread doing. For me it's swimming, I love it, crave it and totally miss it when I can't make it. To get to this point was about 3 months for me. I go 4x a week for an hour and fill in as much other activity that I enjoy into the other days (pilates/yoga/hiking/walking).

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

stacyrg
on 7/6/17 9:00 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I tend to workout after work during the week and in the morning on the weekends. I would LOVE to be a morning exerciser, but my schedule is so varied, with court appearances and meetings, etc. that it's hard for me to be consistent. What also helped me was finding classes I like and making dates with myself. That way, when I know there's somewhere I have to be, I consciously try to wrap things up in enough time so I don't break my "date." IT also works for me, because I like schedules. So I know that Tuesday is my late night at work because I take spin at 7:45, and I have to be on top of things on Thursday because circuit class is at 6:30. On the weekends, I exercise in the morning. I'm at the park for my run by 7 on saturday and I take class on Sunday at 8:30. I also double up on saturday, so I run and then take a class. That way it doesn't bother me as much mentally if I have to bail on a workout during the week. Finally, I have a friend who is my workout buddy. It makes it harder to blow it off when you know there's someone depending on you!

Emiepie
on 7/6/17 9:51 am
RNY on 08/11/14

For me, I have to work out in the morning. If I plan for it to be done in the evening I seem to dread it all day. Getting done first thing in the morning makes sure no excuses get in the way.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Kathy1212
on 7/6/17 12:05 pm

Congrats at being so close to goal; that is amazing!

I'm totally NOT a morning person and can't do much more than sip decaf and stare blearily at the computer screen until my brain kicks in, lol.

I get bored easily and like variety, so I cycle, swim, and walk. I don't like walking in the city but love hitting the nature trails or beaches. I love riding me bike and find it very motivating to try to go further/faster/longer/explore new places. Swimming is relaxing and something I usually save for rainy days, but I do love it. I don't crave any of it but do love it to the point that it surprises me how much I enjoy it. I do miss bike riding if it rains for too many days in a row, or if it's sunny for too many days in a row, I miss swimming, lol. I like my pool membership because it gives me something to do on bad weather days.

I also keep some small weights by my computer and do various arm exercises while I watch youtube videos or Netflix. I have some resistance bands but still have not been able to bring myself to try them, lol.

I do have a fitbit flex 2 that can track bike riding and swimming as well as steps, but it doesn't always do a great job. I don't care about steps so I set activity minutes as my main goal. I find MapMyWalk and MapMyRide apps to be very helpful.

Just try to find something that you love, and don't be afraid to try something you haven't done in awhile. Last year my doctor suggested bike riding to me when I was at my high weight and I bought a new bike and fell in love with it. This year is even better, and I can only imagine how much easier it will be when I reach goal.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

ecm1109
on 7/6/17 12:32 pm

I have to tell you that I have looked at the topic and I keep reading Handwriting exercises, so that has made me giggle a few times today!

I think you have been given solid advice here...its personal for everyone. I know that I have to do it in the morning or it is not going to happen...I like group classes but if I don't have time to get to the gym, I have been doing the Betty Rocker workouts from Youtube, simple moves, but working your core and major muscle groups.

I know you have stated that you are not a runner, but that is the one thing that made the workouts stick for me...signing up to run a 5k and making myself become a "runner" albeit a very, very slow runner! I then committed to doing a charity 5k per month for the next 12 months, completed that goal and then set a new one to do a triathlon. I have since finished two sprint distance triathlons. I have a sister who is a "normal weight" person but does not have an athletic bone in her body...for her 50th birthday she wanted to do a 5k with me. So I helped her come up with a realistic training plan and we did it! Couch to 5k is what I used and would recommend it, but I think if you read on the exercise threads, they have some other suggestions that break c25k down even farther.

Bottom line...do what you like, just do a little more of it tomorrow. Best of luck!

seattledeb
on 7/6/17 12:58 pm

Find what you love. Movement is a great gift that comes from WLS.

I think what you eat is the most important thing. You've had the big slide down. Now is the time to figure out the best way to maintain it. That's the important work.

Eggface
on 7/7/17 7:40 am - Sunny Southern, CA

You don't have to do it all at once... it's nice to get in a long workout but 10 minutes here and there in the day is effective too.

I love to walk so that's my thing mostly but when it's too hot... it's triple digits this week... I do little bursts.

Dance to 3-4 songs (Spotify playlists are great) = 10 minutes, 3 times in the day = 30 minute workout. Boom.

A few other ideas: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/06/exerc ise-5-for-free.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/17 10:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The best way to stick to exercise is to find something you legitimately enjoy. That makes it TONS easier to stick with it.

I hate running. Always have, always will, but I tried to force myself to do Couch to 5k anyway. That was a miserable failure. Then I got a bike and discovered I LOVE cycling, plus I don't totally suck at it, and now I ride 20+ miles every weekend.

Don't be afraid to try lots of things. If you can get a day pass to a gym or YMCA with lots of classes, don't be afraid to pop in and give things a shot. Yoga, zumba, aqua fit, racquetball, spinning, badminton, whatever sounds interesting. You never know what you may enjoy!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics