Ladytazz’s Posts

Ladytazz
on 8/27/19 12:55 am
Topic: RE: Revision to Distal from Proximal bypass

There are few surgeons who are competent in RNY to DS revisions and I have never heard of your surgeon. It is a very complicated surgery but it can be done. You might post on the DS board and get the list of vetted RNY to DS revision surgeons. Dr. Ara Keshishian in California is supposed to be the best. Perhaps you can contact his office and get a second opinion.

I would not settle for second best since you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. Many people travel to California to have their revision done by Dr. K. Don't give up and don't settle for a surgery that might not work out for you.

Best of luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ladytazz
on 8/27/19 12:40 am
Topic: RE: Desperate and asking for help

I agree with the others. Get a second opinion. I would have a hard time accepting that nothing more could be done. I would take that as a personal challenge and make it my mission to find a surgeon who could help.

I will keep you in my prayers that you are able to find someone who can help you.

Ladytazz
on 8/27/19 12:35 am
Topic: RE: Pre op jitters and maybe a little panic

How did the surgery go? Revisions are usually more complex but with an experienced surgeon I am sure you will be fine.

I had a revision 9 years ago and fortunately it solved all the issues I had been having. I am sure yours will be successful as well.

Ladytazz
on 11/13/18 8:01 pm
Topic: RE: Removal of remnant

I had my remnant stomach removed with my revision in 2010, along with all of my stomach except the pouch. I was also told not to except much weight loss. However I decided to take advantage of my second chance and followed the post op diet to a T and lost all my excess weight and then some.

Now it is 8 years later and I have kept off all the excess weight. I have a lot of restriction and that makes it easier to eat like I should. As long as you follow the post op eating recommendations you should be able to lose the weight and keep it off. That is the key, though. If you continue to eat the way you did before the surgery you probably will continue to be heavy.

I never really experienced much restriction with the first surgery so having restriction was a game changer for me. I always knew that I needed to change my eating habits but until I experienced restriction it was always very difficult. Now it is still difficult but doable with the extra help.

Ladytazz
on 7/31/18 7:00 pm
Topic: RE: Revision Band to RNY or DS... Stressing out about it.

Please don't settle for less than what you really want. I know it's a major inconvenience to wait a bit longer but not as inconvenient as another failed WLS. If your doctor recommends the DS and you have your heart set on it than it would be best to wait than to settle for something you don't really want.

It is a big deal now but I promise you in a year you will be happy you waited for what you want. You have to live with this for the rest of your life. In the grand scheme of things a few weeks is not a big price to pay for having the surgery you want that works best for you.

Ladytazz
on 7/31/18 6:51 pm
Topic: RE: Revision from VSG to RNY after full regain...

I had a revision in 2010. I started out at 240 lbs, lost to 120 lbs and then started back up to 220 lbs.

My revision was due to other issues besides the weight gain. I was so sick I wanted a reversal. I was told that I couldn't be reversed, only revised to correct an anatomical issue. I originally had a sleeve as part of my malabsorptive first surgery and my doctor made the sleeve, which was very large, into a RNY pouch.

I will never forget my surgeon telling me not to expect much weight loss. I don't know if he told me this because I had failed so miserably or what but I didn't care if I lost any weight, I just wanted to stop gaining.

I decided after my revision to try something novel and actually follow the directions that I blatantly ignored the first time around. Protein first, no refined carbs, weighed and measured every bite.

Not only did I lose weight but I lost even faster than the first time and actually got too low. I don't know who was more surprised, me or my doctor. It has been 8 years now and I have kept the weight off by continuing to follow directions.

I really didn't expect to lose that much weight because I have always heard that revisions don't do as well as first time surgeries and I am happy to report that it wasn't true in my case. What matters more is what I eat and as long as I follow the rules I have managed to have a successful revision. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged. Use what you have learned from your previous failures and you can also be successful. I always say my previous failures are my greatest assets. You already know what not to do, now put that experience to work and do what you know you can do to turn it around.

Ladytazz
on 5/12/18 11:50 am
Topic: RE: Has anyone had their Duodenal Switch revised because they weren?t losing enough?

Hi Sunshine! Like Amy said, I am a revision from a DS to a sort of hybrid surgery. My sleeve was revised to a RNY pouch and my common channel was lengthened from 100cc to 200cc.

I had regained 100lbs in the 8 years after my DS. Because I ate crap day in and day out. The main thing to remember is that no surgery can help you if you eat simple carbs. Even with the DS simple carbs are absorbed 100%.

The first thing you need to do is see you doctor to determine if you surgery is intact. If everything is how it is supposed to be than your best course is to use it to the best of your ability.

I was told that after my revision I would probably not lose any weight. The reason for my revision had nothing to do with weight gain. I was so sick I couldn't function. I had chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth (CIBO) due to the fact that I had a blind limb. All the bacteria was trapped and released toxins to my body. That isn't a common situation but it happens. I needed a revision to get rid of the blind limb.

By the time I had my revision I honestly did not care if I lost weight or not. There are worse things in the world than being overweight and I was living it. I had no quality of life. I had constant diarrhea and very odorous gas. Flagyl helped but my doctor didn't want to prescribe it any more for fear of developing a resistance to antibiotics. I used probiotics but it didn't help.

Even though my doctor told me not to expect weight loss after the surgery, probably because I had failed so miserably to comply with a healthy eating plan, I decided that if I was going to go to all that trouble to have a revision I might as well make the best of it.

I followed the post op diet to a T. I avoided all sugar and gluten. One thing that did help was finally having good restriction. My sleeve was made very large. They didn't use bougies at that time, at least my surgeon didn't, and when I asked about it's size I would told he removed about half of my stomach. I honestly didn't feel like I had any restriction at all. I was able to eat pretty much the same amount as before surgery and I was hungry all the time.

After my revision I did have good restriction and that helped a great deal in sticking with a healthy eating plan. In spite of my doctor's prediction that I wouldn't lose weight I lost even more weight then I did the first time. I reached a normal BMI in about 6 months and continued to lose weight. In fact my weight became too low. At one point I was under 100 lbs. Then I had the tricky part of learning how to gain weight without overeating or eating junk.

I followed the post op plan for about 5 years before I allowed myself to experiment with my eating. I was careful about what I ate and the amounts I ate it.

My weight has stayed very stable for many years. I weigh myself daily, which I think is one of the reasons I have managed to keep the weight off. I haven't had any big gains but if I see things trending upwards for more than a few days I cut bac****il I am back to my normal weight.

I stay right around 110 lbs on my home scale. I have never gone over 115 except one brief period when I was eating popcorn every day and I was getting up to about 120 lbs so I cut out the popcorn and went back to my normal weight.

I am glad I had the revision, not only because it took care of the CIBO but because I finally had a tool I could work with. I take advantage of the restriction by always eating protein first. By the time I have a few ounces of meat I am satisfied and able to eat less of the carbs like fruits and vegetables. I completely avoid sugar, which I also credit with helping me. I was a big time sugar addict and since my revision I found I dump and dump badly when I eat sugar so that is enough for me to strictly stay away from it.

I am also lucky in that I haven't really had issues with low blood sugar. I had a period with I did have some episodes but learned how to best eat to avoid them.

I would do anything to avoid a revision if I were you. It was a very hard surgery on my. My surgery was open and I was cut from the bottom of my breasts to the bottom of my pelvic bones. It was a tough surgery to recover from. You also would probably have a hard time finding a surgeon to operate on you if you don't have any complications just to lose more weight. Really the only things that you could have done would be to have your sleeve made smaller or your common channel made shorter, but like I said if you don't avoid the simple carbs than that won't help you much in losing more weight.

You do already have the most powerful surgery available so that is an advantage. Maybe you can find a nutritionist who can work with your eating, or a counselor or both. I worked with a nutritionist for the first year because I needed help in learning the best way to eat. As far as counseling goes that has helped a great deal, too.

Good luck to you. Another big help for me is finding support from other WLS patients. That is something I did not do the first time around. It really does help to have accountability and guidance. I have learned that I don't have to be perfect. I just do the best I can do everyday and learn from my mistakes.

In the past if I ate something I shouldn't that would be an excuse to go on and eat more and more. Now I just look at how I am eating and see if there is a way to make better choices. If I find myself having a problem with a certain food I can recognize it early on and change before the habit becomes too ingrained to change.

Hang in there. You can do it. If I can turn around a failed WLS and figure out a way to make it work than anyone can. Stick around and see what you can do to make things better.

Ladytazz
on 11/24/17 12:00 am
Topic: RE: No preop diet

My surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet and I didn't have one with either my first surgery or my revision.

Some say it is to shrink the liver before the surgery and others say that it is to get used to following a disciplined eating plan after surgery. Others, like my surgeon, don't see any benefit in requiring a pre-op diet.

It really is up to the surgeon. My surgeon just required you to stop eating after midnight like yours.

Ladytazz
on 10/20/17 9:43 am
Topic: RE: Sciatic pain

I had terrible sciatica with my pregnancies and what helped cure it was acupuncture. Not just help it but totally eliminated it.

The last time I had it I was in terrible pain, could barely walk and I had acupuncture and as the needle was going in I felt something like an electrical jolt, very painful and the when it was done the pain was completely gone.

This happened with my previous pregnancies as well.

If you haven't tried acupuncture you might give it a try.

I hope this helps you.

Ladytazz
on 8/9/17 5:38 pm
Topic: RE: Whatever happened to the ROSE procedure??

My revision was complex and not due to regain. I originally had a DS done by a surgeon not really good at doing the DS. I had a lot of side effects.

My revision was to lengthen my common channel from 100 cc to 200 cc to reduce my malabsorption. I also had a blind limb that caused CIBO (chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and constant diarrhea and that was corrected. My surgeon also revised the sleeve that I had and was made too large. It only removed about 50% of my stomach and before long I had no restriction at all. He gave me a RNY pouch and a lot of restriction. I think that is the key to my success because I can't eat much at all. I probably would have done better if my sleeve was smaller but I guess he decided that re-sleeving was too dangerous due to the risk of leaks so my entire stomach, apart from the pouch, was removed. Pretty drastic and not recommended since it is nonreversible. Other than that I am happy with my revision and it has served me well in giving me a tool that I can use.

Ladytazz
on 5/15/17 1:21 am
Topic: RE: Revision

Sorry, my misunderstanding. There is nothing wrong with revisions if they are needed. I just worry about people that have multiple revisions without dealing with the root cause.

Good luck to you.

Ladytazz
on 5/13/17 11:12 pm
Topic: RE: Revision

Are you considering a second revision? Personally one was enough for me. Your body really doesn't need that much slicing and dicing done to it and if you weren't able to stick with surgeries one and two what will be different with number three?

Instead of putting your body through all that trauma again have you considered getting counseling to help with your food issues? All the surgery in the world won't help if you continue to eat badly. It's like getting a liver transplant if you are an alcoholic. If you keep drinking you will blow out the new liver and the next one and the next one.

Instead of treating the symptoms you need to treat the problem and the symptoms will go away.

It's not easy and I'm not making light of it. I've been there. Giving up overeating and eating junk is very hard work but it must be done before any WLS works for us.

Ladytazz
on 4/12/17 12:00 pm
Topic: RE: Revision from ERNY to DS

There are very few surgeons who do revisions from RNY to DS. I don't think there are any in Phoenix. You may have heard this before but it is a very complicated procedure and you need an expert and that means you may need to travel.

There are some vetted revision surgeons in California and that may be your best option. Have you contacted Dr. K? From what I have heard he is the best choice for revision, him and Dr. Rabkin.

You want the best for this revision. Good luck in your pursuit.

Ladytazz
on 4/12/17 1:08 am, edited 4/11/17 6:10 pm
Topic: RE: In the end only kindness matters...

"It almost feels like there is now a divide on this site between people whose weight loss surgeries have worked and those whose have not."

I really don't see that divide. I can't speak for others but for me I don't fall into either category. I am a revision and I know that for me my first surgery worked fine. For a long time I thought it had failed until I took a long look at it. It did work, when I did what I should do. My first surgery failed in that my intestines weren't configured correctly and I had a lot of side effects but as far as the weight loss went, when I ate what I was supposed to I lost weight and kept it off. Just like I did when I didn't have surgery.

So I have a hard time saying there are people whose surgery failed them when it really hasn't.

Of course there are failed surgeries. Just about anyone who had a band will tell you that. But for the people who have been successful they weren't lucky. Their surgery was successful because they were.

So really I think the divide you are talking about is between those who were compliant. Don't get me wrong. I understand that as a population most who have WLS do it because they have failed every diet they tried. We aren't here because we had good control over our eating. Exactly the opposite. We found ourselves on the operating table because we could not control our eating and were hoping that WLS would give us the help we needed in order to control our out of control eating.

And there is nothing wrong with that. Of course we can fail our surgery. We failed all our previous diets. No one came here on a winning streak. We wound up here because we couldn't control our eating and we were hoping that rearranging our bodies would help us do that.

But to have the surgery and still continue overeating and assuming that having more surgery will fix that problem doesn't make a lot of sense. It is faulty thinking to assume that more surgery will fix the problem when we didn't use the tools we got the first time out. First you have to figure out why it didn't work and if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

So even though they didn't ask for dieting advice she got it because that is where the problem lies. I'm not going to give someone advice on having more surgery when they have shown that they aren't able to use the tools they got with the first one.

So looking at the eating is the obvious place to start. Giving her the name of a great revision surgeon won't help if the problem isn't physical. Giving her advice on how to best utilize what she already has is the logical thing to do. If she chooses not to listen to that advice and insists that a different surgery will fix the problem we aren't doing her any favors in encouraging that.

Does that mean that some people don't have the best tool for what they need and can benefit from another surgery to one that will give her the tools? Of course that happens. In hindsight malabsorption wasn't the best tool for me, restriction was and my first surgery didn't have any so changing tools was a good thing. But that conclusion came in hindsight.
Maybe someone does need more than restriction but you have to give the restriction a fair shot before you can decide that. If she was being compliant and still not losing than it would be fair to see if there were other options but you can't declare that your surgery has failed if you haven't really given it a chance to do it's job.

And finding a tool that can help you eat better isn't easy. The best it can do is help restrict the amount eaten but no surgery can change what we put into our mouths. And that is what needs to be fixed before we consider any more physical fixes.

Ladytazz
on 4/8/17 7:15 pm, edited 4/8/17 12:15 pm
Topic: RE: I need Ya'll to comment?? :) Questions inside...(Revision)

I apologize for the grammar shaming. I know posting from phones can be a challenge.

It's just a pet peeve of mine when I see a post that looks like it could be informative but is unreadable due to lack of paragraphs.

I hope you didn't take my admission of failure as a personal attack on myself or anyone else. For me admitting that I was a failure was the first step in taking responsibility for my actions. Not everyone *****gains does so because they failed. The surgery they had may not be the most effective for them or there may be mechanical failures. But in the end I am the one who put the food in my mouth and made the bad choices.

By accepting personal responsibility I took back control. As long as I looked to blame outside issues for my problems I was powerless to change things. I can only change myself and I couldn't do that if I didn't admit that I made mistakes.

Of course people can and do turn it around as a way to feel even worse about themselves and therefore continue with the poor choices. That was never my intention. I know that having eating issues is not a character flaw and being overweight does not affect my value as a person. I have bad habits but I am not a bad person. Forgiving myself for being human and responding around food as I always had since childhood was detrimental in my moving forward to make changes.

That is why I feel it is so important to do the work before undergoing more surgery. Anyone who thinks a revision will cure their eating issues will only be disappointed. I know it sounds stupid but in spite of hearing for years and years that is was only a tool, it was still a shock when I realized that it was true.

That moment of clarity came after I started regaining with the first surgery. As hard as I tried I could not lose the weight. That is when I realized that in order to lose weight after WLS I had to do the same things I did before surgery, eat less and eat better. The only difference was now I had a boost in sticking with that way of eating.

Ultimately the side effects I experienced put me in a position to seek a revision. I honestly was not looking to have a revision. I wanted a reversal but since my surgeon told me that wasn't possible then I figured since I was having a revision anyway I might as well learn from my mistakes and actually follow directions instead of trying to do things my way.

Keeping 100 lbs off for all that time is a success to me. When I had my revision after 8 years I was only 20 lbs less than when I started. And you know what? That was an improvement because without WLS I would have been god knows how much heavier after 8 years. So even though I didn't make the best out of my first WLS it did help some.

Ladytazz
on 4/7/17 5:57 pm
Topic: RE: I need Ya'll to comment?? :) Questions inside...(Revision)

Let me introduce you to my friend the paragraph.

It will help make your post much easier.

"I just wanted to say that I used to be on this site 10 years ago and it felt like a completely different place. I've been considering a revision, but honestly got nervous to post because it felt like a place that used to be about inclusion and kindness, but had now turned into one more place where people judged overweight people.

As an outsider of this post, I was a bit surprised by the responses at first, and can see how the original author might have felt judged and was hurt by it. It almost feels like there is now a divide on this site between people whose weight loss surgeries have worked and those whose have not. Those whose surgeries have worked, seem to now be those people in the world who used to look at fat people and make assumptions, like they are just lazy, they don't care enough, they should just diet.

Bottom line, that being fat was their fault. Now add to that the knowledge that someone has already had WLS and you have a whole new bag of ammunition. I just want to say that before you judge someone for a failed surgery, you may not want to just assume it was the person's fault because then you become those people, that I think most of us come here to get away from. This forum is for revision surgery help, not diet shaming.

These are just my two sense because I know a lot of people have commented on forums that people aren't responding as much, and I know I've been scared to respond because of the new negativity I've found here. I would just love for this site to go back to a place where people were just kind above all else. It saddens me that so many posts now have to literally say, "please don't be mean in your comments, I'm sad enough..." When this place has become a site where people have to ask for kindness, something is wrong.

PS. There are still a lot of amazing people here who are super supportive, and this doesn't apply to you at all."

My 2 cents. I am a revision. I failed my first WLS. It WAS my fault, not the surgeries, not the surgeons and certainly not the people who tried to help me. I put the food in my mouth and I ate it.

Until I accepted that reality I was destined to repeat the same outcome with any further surgery I had. Of course there are some exceptions but for the most part a person *****gains their weight after WLS did so because they out ate it. That isn't to say that some people simply did not get an effective surgery for their particular issues but when it comes down to it any WLS can and will be failed if you continue to eat the way you did after the first WLS. I can sugar coat it but it won't change the facts.

It seems that some people aren't asking about revisions as much as they want to know what the super magic WLS there is that will allow me to eat what I want and still not be fat. Let me save you time. It isn't out there. Oh, some have made the claim but just as many have proved that claim wrong.

No one is doing anyone a service by holding their hand and telling them to go ahead and have your body diced and sliced some more and see if this time they can finally manage to do what could have been done the first time.

No, I am not unsympathetic. I am after all a WLS failure. But all the sympathy in the world did not cause me to not fail my first surgery. Only honesty and self assessment, thorough understanding of my mistakes and a plan to make the changes necessary so that a third or fourth WLS is sought helped. And There are people who still haven't found that magic surgery after 3 or 4 tries.

You only need to read about about the dismal results of revisions to know the sad fact. I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate of revisions is even higher than the first time surgeries.

Even the best WLS in the world won't work if you don't use it. If someone comes in my house to rob me and kills me it doesn't help that I had a gun in my drawer if I didn't reach in to use it.

Ladytazz
on 3/12/17 7:15 pm
Topic: RE: Revision from bpd-ds to a sadi version

With all due respect, after all you have been through a revision should have been the first thing he did, not a last resort. Unless you are in such a fragile state that surgery is life threatening I see no reason for him to allow you to continue to malabsorb at the rate you seem to be doing.

Perhaps he is just trying to build you up in order to do better with the surgery. I hope so. There is no reason for you to have to continue with that degree of malabsorption when a revision could improve the quality of your life a great deal. I just do not see any medical reason to allow you to continue to have a 75cc common channel.

Ladytazz
on 3/10/17 1:04 am
Topic: RE: Revision from bpd-ds to a sadi version

Have you considered having your common channel lengthened? I had mine lengthened from 100cc to 200cc and also had my sleeve (too large in 2002) revised to a pouch. I have been doing great since then.

My problem wasn't malabsorption, it was issues with chronic bacterial overgrowth due to a blind limb but having a revision was the best thing for me. I hope you can get some help.

Ladytazz
on 2/23/17 9:26 pm
Topic: RE: 11 years out and seeing surgeon, am I too "lightweight" for revision?

Just a couple of thoughts.  First off, throw out the exercise mumbo jumbo.  Exercise if great for toning and well being but forget about it having any affect on your weight.  Unless you are an extreme athlete the amount of calories burned, despite with MFP and others say, really do not make an impact on what we weigh.  I have never seen a person who could eat 1500 calories a day and exercise 500 calories a day who lost weight.  It is great in theory but it doesn't seem to be valid in practice.

Second, we are all different.  You can gain on 1500 calories, I can maintain on the same amount.  No clue why, although it may have to do with malabsorption, but this is what works for me right now.  And things change, especially as we get older.  Metabolism rates are different per person and even with the same person depending on age and who knows what else.

What it came down to me is finding a way to eat that I am comfortable with, can live with and not have to deal with hunger, which for me colors my judgement.  What I think is a cup of food really turns out to be 2 cups if I take the time to actually measure it.  And taking the time to measure it depends on my motivation to actually eat less.

So what I  have decided is that I find what I can live with as far as kinds of food and amounts of food and then I accept whatever weight that leaves me at.  If that isn't possible, ie it leaves me at a much higher weight then I am comfortable with, I have to either change my comfort level regarding food or regarding my weight.  I have yet to find a way to make the amount of food I want to eat to match up with resulting in the amount I weigh.  I can either eat more and weight more or eat less and weigh less.  I can't have both.

Fortunately I am in a happy place, today, where I can live with the numbers.  But I also know that the day may and probably will come where I have to make a choice and sacrifice in one area or the other.  But the key is being honest with myself about both things.

The facts are, no matter how you slice it, you want to eat more than you want to weigh less.  And that is perfectly fine.  When you reach the point where you are wanting to weigh less more than you want to eat more then you sill make the necessary changes.

Ladytazz
on 2/6/17 8:33 pm
Topic: RE: has anyone had to have a total gastrectomy as a revison

Unable to edit the above post.

I just looked at your history so the part about a perfectly healthy stomach does not apply.

I also suffered from severe GERD, which was completely cured after my revision.

I still would get another opinion, though.  Something I wish I had done if I wasn't feeling so sick and desperate to get better.

Ladytazz
on 2/6/17 8:30 pm
Topic: RE: has anyone had to have a total gastrectomy as a revison

I have a subtotal gastrectomy, which is the removal of my entire stomach except for the pouch.  My original surgery involved a sleeve which was very large.  My understanding is that resleeving can be risky due to the potential of leaks.

I have spoken with others who had the same thing so it must not be that uncommon.  For myself if I didn't know I had my stomach removed I wouldn't know it except for getting full much faster.  Fortunately I haven't had any negative side effects.

However, I wouldn't recommend it because of the permanence.  I didn't educate myself before my revision.  I had the revision 8 days after my appointment with the surgeon due to severe side effects I had and was desperate to feel better.

I would definitely get another opinion before I had a perfectly healthy stomach removed.

Ladytazz
on 2/6/17 8:21 pm
Topic: RE: RNY to DS recent changes?

Revision from a RNY to a DS is possible but it is only done by a handful of surgeons.  It is a technically difficult surgery and should only be done by a surgeon experienced in this type of revision.  Many surgeons may tell you they can give you a surgery "like" the DS but mainly that would be to revise you from a proximal to a distal RNY.  That adds more malabsorption to the mix but can cause more problems than it helps.

The reason the DS isn't done by more surgeons isn't because it is a bad surgery.  It is one of the best as far as weight lost and maintained and resolution of comorbidities.

It also is very high maintenance with strict monitoring of vitamin levels and supplements.  Many surgeons have seen so much lack of compliance in their patients that they are reluctant to perform a surgery that has such requirements and dire consequences to those who cannot comply.

That is why the VSG is so popular.  While it has many post op requirements, too, the consequences aren't as severe for noncompliance.  

As for the surgery itself, many surgeons are doing variations of the DS such as the SADI.  These variations are too new to have much long term data regarding results.  You might want to do a search on the SADI to learn more.

Revisions are very serious and riskier than first time surgeries.  It is very important to follow through and find out if your original surgery has failed for mechanical reasons.  If the reason for the failure has to do with overeating than it is important to address those issues before having more surgery.

The DS and distal RNY mainly cause malabsorption of fats and proteins.  Many people have weight problems due to overeating refined carbs, things with sugar and flour.  There are no surgeries currently that can help in that area.  Simple carbs are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you have so if that is your problem it is important to work on that before you have more surgery.  You may find that the tool you have is enough to help you make changes to your eating.

Ladytazz
on 12/14/16 9:54 pm
Topic: RE: Kaiser ok'd for RNY, but not DS (mostly yay!)

I agree with the above poster.  If the reason you are having a revision is because of GERD than you absolutely don't want a DS.  You would keep your sleeved stomach and that is what is causing the problems.

I had the DS with the sleeve and I had horrible reflux.  I would wake up at night choking on acid.  I took several PPIs and none helped.

I did not have my revision due to the GERD but it completely cured my reflux issues.  I have not taken a PPI since I finished the 90 day course my surgeon had me take as a precaution.  I don't know what the science is behind it but I know that for me and others it has been a cure.

Ladytazz
on 12/9/16 8:42 pm
Topic: RE: Weight Loss after Revision Surgery

I actually had a revision from a DS to a RNY, not because of the weight gain but because of major complications I was experiencing.

My doctor told me not to expect to lose any weight even though he was giving me a pouch.  I don't know if he told me this because I had failed so miserably with the first surgery or if it was just his experience that people *****gained their weight with WLS don't have the discipline needed to lose weight and keep it off.

At that point I honestly didn't care if I lost weight or not.  I agreed to the pouch because I didn't want to continue gaining but I just wanted my health back.

But I knew exactly why I had gained most of my weight back and I figured that since I had to have surgery anyway I might as well give it my best shot and try to do things differently this time.

That included actually following directions, sticking 100% to the post op eating plan and avoiding the junk I had never bothered to give up after my first surgery.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I had failed but I knew my eating problems went much deeper than just eating too much because I was hungry.  I knew I was a compulsive overeater and that if I didn't address my food addictions I was doomed to have the same result as I did the first time.

What I am trying to say is that the outcome is in your hands.  If you do what you did after your first WLS you will get the same results.

But if you have taken a serious look at why you failed and are completely honest with yourself and willing to address your eating issues you have a much better chance of winding up where you want to be.

It isn't magic.  Every surgery, no matter what kind you have, requires a change in eating habits.  And if you have a problem with refined carbs, bread, crackers, cake, candy, fast food and generally just eating garbage, which many of us have, dealing with those problems is mandatory if you want to be successful.

No matter what surgery you have simple carbs are absorbed 100%.  Having a DS gives you malabsorption of mainly fats and protein so you do have an advantage there, but if you don't get the other things under control expect to only lose 20%, if that, and not be able to maintain a healthy weight.

I lost all the excess weight and have kept it off for many years now because I changed my eating habits.  The surgery has helped me manage my hunger and gives me very adverse reactions to eating sugar, which definitely gives me motivation to avoid them.  I am using the tools the surgery to my advantage to help me stick to a good way of eating but I still have to make the choices of what I put into my mouth.

If you look into the reasons you failed the first time and take steps to deal with those problems, whether through counseling, support groups or self examination, you should do great.

Ladytazz
on 10/31/16 7:55 pm
Topic: RE: Massive weight gain

I agree with calling your surgeon.  If you aren't feeling much restriction they can check and make sure everything is intact.  If it is then it is never too late to start all over again.

You might want to see a nutritionist about starting the post op eating plan all over again.  Go through the liquid and soft food phases and get used to eating less.

Honestly I had failed my first WLS so badly that for the first year I followed the post op plan to the letter.  I was afraid to deviate one bit on it.  It was the best thing I could have done.  It taught me to be disciplined and learn how to be satisfied with less food.  It was only after I lost all my excess weight that I started experimenting with different foods.  I took things very slowly and to this day I am still learning about maintenance since I have never maintained before in my life.

Every day is a learning experience and I am learning how to feed my new body correctly.  I weigh myself daily so I can see if what I am doing is working for me.  I remind myself everyday that I had surgery and I need to watch what I eat.  I know it sounds weird but after my first WLS I really thought of it as another failed diet not like the body altering change it is.  I tried to go back to eating the way I did before surgery and I paid a big price for doing that.  Once you have had WLS there is no going back and I have to keep that in mind so I can continue to maintain the loss. 

Most Active