Hi Everyone

gmincey1
on 12/6/11 4:06 am - VA
Hi Everyone. It iws nice to see so many people here and over the years, I have noticed how much more accepted Gastric Bypass has become. I was a former member of OBH.com and I remember all of the friends and Angels out there. I also remember the tourment that many of us went through just to get to the point of having surgery due to insurance issues etc. For me, Feb 17, 2003 was my surgery. I started a new journey and an amazing one at that. I started @ 439 and lost about 200lbs. Now, 9 years later, I am having revisional surgery next week. I am not entirely sure what will be done, but I am both nervous and excited in the same breath. I am not too sure how many revision people are out there, but if you were on OBH back in 2002-2003, we probably have crossed paths. I do feel a little alone with all of this, but I am sure that is just my own jitters. I look forward to hearing from anyone that has been through this or is going to. :-)

Thanks!

Guy
shele
on 12/6/11 4:16 am

Oh where do I start? First of all, welcome!,

Please dont be offended, BUT!!!

Do not go into a surgery not knowing exactly what is to be done! Please! research this out, find the best surgery for the best longterm results.  Then find a surgeon that has done ten-hundred of them in his sleep.  Revisions are tricky business!, Much higher risk,

All my best!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Patricia45
on 12/6/11 5:56 am - OK
Has this happened to anyone?
I had my revision 11-14-11, 11-27-11 rushed to ER - the connection to my pouch came apart!  All the fluids I had been taking in (80 oz/day) was dumping and staying in my abdomen!!  My stomach and belly were terribly swollen!
Stayed in the hospital until 12-4-11

It was horrible!  Could not even have ice chips for the entire week!  Is the common?

larra
on 12/6/11 5:57 am - bay area, CA
Welcome, or perhaps, welcome back!
     While I of course wish all the best for you, I can't begin to fathom having revision wls and not knowing what is going to be done. Have you looked into ALL your revision options? Or just gone along with what your surgeon suggests (and apparently has not fully discussed with you)? And is this the same surgeon who did the original surgery that now needs revision?
     I realize that next week isn't very far off, but until they put you under you do have choices. And surgery can be postponed, and though no one likes to think in those terms, sometimes that's the best thing that could possibly happen. Take this opportunity to sort out WHY you are needing a revision, find out what your surgeon is planning for you (I can't emphasize that enough) and determine whether or not that's the best approach for whatever it is that is wrong at this point. And there must be something wrong, or we wouldn't be having this little conversation.
     Meanwhile, come on over to the DS forum and learn more about it. We have many, many people there who have revised or are revising from RNY to DS or lap band to DS. You could start a thread asking for their input. I hope that all will go well for you no matter what you decide, but don't go into surgery not knowing what you are getting into and what your prospects are both for success and for quality of life.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 9:06 am
gmincey1
on 12/6/11 8:34 pm - VA
 Thank you everyone for the great comments and advice. I guess I should be a little more specific. I have been working to go down this path for several months after making the decision after probably a year of research before that. So, I made sure I was working with the best cir****tances possible. The surgeon is one of the top revision surgeons in the country and the hospital is a barriatric center of excellence on the east coast. While my surgeon explained the game plan (after exhaustive diagnostics) they will not know definitively until they actually go in to assess scar tissue, stricture potential, etc. I have been going through a nutrition program as I know much has changed since 2003. 
larra
on 12/7/11 12:17 am - bay area, CA
This does sound better...but "the best cir****tances possible" would include consideration of ALL possible types of revision, not just different ways to adjust your RNY depending on what is found at surgery. And I very much doubt that the DS was even considered or discussed with you, as your surgeon (however skilled he may be at RNY) does not do the DS or revisions of failed wls to the DS.
      So I would still say, learn about ALL the possible options before having your revision. Yes, you have done research and had a work-up, but if the DS was not part of that research, your research is not yet complete.

Larra
ladylion2001
on 12/7/11 12:23 pm - Baltimore, MD
I wish you the best on the surgery that you have chosen and decided is best for you.  You WILL BE SUCCESSFUL in whatever you decide.  I have spoken with people who have had the same sugery that you are having and they have been successful and reported positive results.  Stick to the plan and you will be just fine!  God bless you! 
Most Active