Sleeve to DS judgemental 3rd revision

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 2:52 pm
I had band done about 4 years ago. Big mistake as the Dr. could not find my sweet spot and it hurt like a henria. So, I was revised to a sleeve 2 years later. I had really wanted to do DS. But was afraid of the intestinal rearranging. RNY has not been a choice for me because of the dumping. I have an older sister who has been very sucessful at keeping off over 100 pds for about 15 years with RNY. But she has major dumping. I just am leering of the judgemental flack I may get from people about getting a 3rd revison. As the sleeve was not successful. I can still eat a full meal. This has been very emotional for me and I am now ready to do the DS. I have a good job that has paid for all of my surgerys. I don't tell anyone at my job about it. I haven't lost but like 40 pounds, so no one is  suspicuous.My sleeve isn't small enough.  I don't like people being all in my business. As people are still really discrimintory towards fat people and WLS. Anyway, its on my mind and I am thinking of setting up appts to see a Dr. Castro for DS in Dallas. David Kim did the sleeve and BAnd. I also need to call my insurance. I have Bluecross/shield anthem. They cover WLS. Thanks for reading my post. God bless you all and much success!
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 3:54 pm, edited 11/5/11 3:54 pm - San Jose, CA

WARNING!!  I have never heard of Dr. Castro being a DS surgeon.  You need to go to DSFacts.com and find a PROPER DS surgeon.

I suggest you see Dr. Stewart in Denton.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 2:46 am
Thanks for the reply. I understand your support of DSfacts.com. However, not all docs are listed on that website. The website has a lot of information, but it is up to each of us to check out credibilty of doc's for ourselves. Usually doc's listed, they are paid to advertise on these sites.  Please do not be offended Diana. Dr. David Provost has more experience  than all the rest in Dallas/Ft area so I am contacting him  and the local forum in the area for their experience with various docs. God bless you and I will keep you all updated! Enjoy your weekend!
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 2:57 am - San Jose, CA
DSFacts is NOT supported by advertising by any doctors.  There is a core group of DS vets who consult with the owner of the site, who is also a DS vet.  Surgeons get on the list by our vote of confidence, based on the experiences of other patients and the owner's own investigation.  We have had surgeons contact us and ask to be added - and that is not going to happen.  Ditto when they complain about being deleted, when their performance and behavior with patients demonstrate that they are no longer endorsable.  Provost is NOT an experienced DS surgeon by our standards, and in all my years in the DS world, I can't think of a SINGLE DS patient of his posting on OH or any other website I read.

You are free to use any surgeon you want.  SOMEONE has to be the guinea pigs for new DS surgeons to get the experience necessary to get on the DSFacts list - but I wouldn't subject myself to being a guinea pig, thankyouverymuch. 

The switch part of the surgery is FAR more complicated and difficult than the sleeve, and not having an experienced surgeon, especially for what is in essence a revision, requiring not only dealing with the potential for a need for resleeving, the difficulty of the duodenal suturing, AND for making the difficult decisions regarding how to apportion your limb lengths based on your medical history and his experience so as to provide the best chance of weight loss while minimizing risk of malnutrition sounds like a recipe for potential disaster.  I just can't imagine why you would think someone who is a surgeon who is not known to veteran DSers even as a virgin DS surgeon would be good enough.

Good luck with that.
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 12:55 am
sally, i will also second dr stewart in denton.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 2:48 am
What did you get revised from? Do you know anyone with Dr. David Provost?
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 3:03 am
i revised from the lapband to the sleeve.

sorry - not familiar with dr provost at all, where is he out of?

MsBatt
on 11/6/11 10:57 am
The only Provost patient I know of was Larrissa. She's the one who went to a non-vetted surgeon in Mexico, developed some serious complications, and Provost revised her. BUT---in the process of revising her, he wound up giving her a pouch. Totally lost her pylorus.
NoMore B.
on 11/6/11 8:35 am, edited 11/6/11 8:35 am
 I went to Dr Provost's website and in his information video he flat out says that he prefers the RNY gastric bypass, and Lapband.  You will be hard pressed to find ANY true DS surgeon that says that.

I only know of one patient of his.  She is someone who did not chose a vetted DS surgeon, had complications, and he was one of the only surgeons that would touch her for corrective revision.  She ended up with a hybrid type configuration, and not a classical DS.

How fortunate you are to be in Texas, where one of the premier DS surgeons in the country is - Dr Stewart.  People wanting a DS have to travel out of state, or even internationally to get it.  I cant see one reason why, if you want the DS, you would stay with Dr Provost and not go to Dr Stewart.
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/11 9:34 am
I have heard a lot of good things about Dr. Stewart. I plan to meet with him and Dr. Barker. I believe in having a choice. There aren't many docs that do DS. I may stay in contact with this site or not. I haven't posted in 2 years. There is so much negativity and hate on Obesity help. "Help"? Ironic. Congrats on your success and have a good week.
Most Active