Ask Dr. Curry!

Member Services
on 12/1/09 10:25 pm, edited 6/10/08 6:41 am - Irvine, CA
Many of you may have seen Dr. Curry around on the boards.  He gives much of his time to help pre-op and post-ops about general gastric banding questions to inlcude the Realize Band and Lap Band. He will be following this thread and answering as he has time.  Thank you Dr. Curry for the time you devote to Obesityhelp.

Some information about Dr. Curry.

Dr. Curry is a board-certified general surgeon who specializes in minimally invasive weight loss surgery. He is a Cincinnati native and trained at Good Samaritan Hospital. He is the director of bariatric surgery at The Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati and has performed well over 1300 laparoscopic gastric bands, 700 laparoscopic bypasses, and 75 sleeve gastrectomies, making him one of the most experienced laparoscopic band and laparoscopic gastric bypass surgeons in the region. In fact, he completes 99.9% of his procedures laparoscopically.

Dr. Curry has done more Realize Bands and Lap Bands than any other bariatric surgeon in Ohio, and he is the only Lap Band faculty surgeon in the region who has been chosen by Inamed/Allergan (the manufacturer of the Lap Band) as well as Ethicon Endo-Surgery (the manufacturer of the Realize Band) to be a proctor to teach other surgeons to do the procedure.  He is also a sleeve gastrectomy proctor for W.L. Gore.

Dr. Curry is also well-known for his accessibility, and he frequently has patients from all over the country contacting him for advice and guidance. 

Dr. Curry's practice is certified as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence.

Please visit Dr. Curry website at www.thebanddoctor.com.

patfine
on 3/22/09 9:13 pm - SOLON, OH

dr c

i had  surgery 5 years ago. everything was good lost 100 lbs. in the past few months i gained like 20 lbs and am hungray all the time and my stomach has constant pain where the pouch is. i  am tired alll the time and getting depressed. what do you think it is an what i should do. are you avaliable i will come to you.  pattie

Pattie
DrC
on 6/6/08 6:42 am - Cincinnati, OH
Welcome everyone to the Realize forum!  Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the Realize Adjustable Gastric Band.
Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Amy Williams
on 6/7/08 12:07 pm
Hi Dr. Curry, It's nice to see you heading up the Realize forum!  I recently went up to Ohio for the Realize training course with the surgeon I work with, Lisa was there.  She was very helpful as always.  I just wanted to say thanks for all you do both on here and in the bariatric field.  It's exciting to see so many new things coming out in the bariatric world.  

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

DrC
on 6/7/08 8:51 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On June 7, 2008 at 7:07 PM Pacific Time, Amy Williams wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry, It's nice to see you heading up the Realize forum!  I recently went up to Ohio for the Realize training course with the surgeon I work with, Lisa was there.  She was very helpful as always.  I just wanted to say thanks for all you do both on here and in the bariatric field.  It's exciting to see so many new things coming out in the bariatric world.  
My pleasure Amy, next time you're in Cincy stop by the office and say hi!
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
renegadebkr
on 11/30/08 9:51 pm - Waldorf, MD
Hi Amy,
   What an absolute insiration you are for alot of people. I get realized on December 11th and I am so looking forward to it. I use to be a 187 lb. really built guy that worked as a head cooler in numerous nightclubs and was proud of what I looked like. Well now since i quit doing all of that and quit smoking I gained 126 lbs. of embarrassment. I am so looking forward to getting back to where I was hopefully and even turning 53 on December 22nd I am liking the gift I will be giving to myself. Hope to talk to you soon on the realize board.
Dusty Cassidy   " It's not a real adventure unless you come home with a scar "                    
Current weight  219.0 Lbs   My  Ideal weight  188   I love my sleeve 

Amy Williams
on 12/2/08 8:27 am
Hello!

I really appreciate your very kind message.  Good luck with your surgery on the 11th!  I'm sure you will do great.  Just make sure you do your follow up! 
jimslim
on 1/10/09 11:13 am
Hi,

I was going to have the RNY last 9/11/08 with Dr. Schweitzer at Hopkins but changed my mind and decided to hold off and be sure this was the surgery I wanted.   After much research and mind searching and a friend with a Lap Band who's lost 130 lbs in 11 months, I decided to have the Realize band.  I'm scheduled for 3/24/09 and know that I've made the right decision as I don't feel as stressed.  I, too, gained a signifcant amount of weight when I stopped smoking in 1989 and a baby in 1999 didn't help either.

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Mo aka jimslim 
Jean D.
on 6/30/08 11:11 am
DrC
on 7/1/08 10:59 am - Cincinnati, OH
On June 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM Pacific Time, Rangerfan wrote:
I was banded last Friday - I feel pretty good - sore and little lower back pain and left shoulder pain but I would call it mild - probably feel it more today because I stopped taking pain meds last night. My question is around the port it is very swollen and sticking out like a goose egg - I was told that the port would not be visible or stick out - would be hidden - it is not hot like infected or anything like that - slight aching pain there which I would guess is normal - my doctor's bariatric coordinator who I spoke to this morning told me it should go down but my stomach over all is very distended and round like a pregnant stomach with the goose egg on my left side. Does that sound normal to you? Thanks.
I would never try to diagnose this over the net - I would see your surgeon about this problem to be safe.
Most Active