best WLS for PCOS

Jody08
on 5/21/10 7:05 am - essex, Canada
 wondering if anyone knows if there is any research for the best WLS for PCOS patients?

I worry so much about slow weight loss etc..
i cannot take metformin, i have had two serious reactions to it that led to ER visits..also cannot take birth control pills..so not alot of options..
i am in process in ontario canada for approval for the surgery but wondering if i can get any info or opinions about this topics..been thinking bout RNYvs.VSG vs.DS??

thanks other soulcysters

started this process back in 2007/2008 denied MGB, denied for Barix, put on hold (BMI was too high for pilot phase)at St.joe's and since moved to Windsor and had to start again, December, 2009 referral sent from GP...April 5 and 8, 2010 1st appt at Windsor clinic with nurse and doc
April 16, 2010 sleep clinic, April 27 echo
May 3,2010 Orientation at Met hospital--,
SURGERY booked Oct.20.2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 9:13 am - Toronto, Canada
Hey Jody,

I have PCOS too and it's a real pain to deal with. The hair loss, the acne, skin tags, facial hair where I don't want it, the crazy periods...I can do without it all! 

I think that generally speaking, any of the WLS's will be effective in reducing and reversing the effects of PCOS. Just being able to reduce the insulin resistance will be enough to help. I've heard that DS is the best for reversing type 2 diabetes, which I also have, however I am having the RNY since it's covered under OHIP, but it will still help reverse PCOS. Once your blood sugars are under control, your pancreas will be able to better regulate the amount of insulin being produced as it will no longer be under the strain it is now and your body will re-learn how to use the insulin.

Our bodies are amazing in how they can bounce back from being damaged and once the weight comes off your body will remember how it is supposed ot work and things will get back to normal.

Hope you found this helpful.

Carol
Jody08
on 5/21/10 9:56 am - essex, Canada
 thanks
what i worry about is I have never been small, smallest weight i remember is 200lbs and i was in grade 8!!! so what can my body remember, pre-pubescent weight? so i worry that i have suferred from PCO related hormone probs since i was 14 yrs old

so i am so worried bout the messed up hormones, i don't have diabetes but i am sure it  is on the horizon??

i just wish i could lose some weight, i love working out but now since my last c-section my apron belly hangs low and gets in the way of everything i try to do..my knees cannot handle my activity and my weight but i also cannot sit around for the 8-12 months this process takes and not lose any weight...

just so worried, it seems in ontario they will only cover the RNY or mayeb the VSg if u can convince them of health concerns but wondering if the VSG would be good for PCOS, i think that the DS is better due to bypassing the portion of the intestine that process the GLP-1 and the other one??

but it looks like the DS may not be an option, it still need to go thru all the stuff at the clinic b4 being referred to the surgeon..

i guess any WLS will help..just looking for any arguments to take to the surgeon
started this process back in 2007/2008 denied MGB, denied for Barix, put on hold (BMI was too high for pilot phase)at St.joe's and since moved to Windsor and had to start again, December, 2009 referral sent from GP...April 5 and 8, 2010 1st appt at Windsor clinic with nurse and doc

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 11:42 am - Toronto, Canada
Unfortunately I couldn't find any information with regards to weight loss surgery and PCOS as of yet but I'm sure any of them will do wonders for you in the long run. Seeing as you were never below 200, your body was probably never sitting right with hormones but chances are pretty good that your body will correct itself after the weight starts to come off and you stabilize a bit more. Our bodies are wondrous machines and can do some pretty amazing things...when they co-operate with us! lol 

I know all about the knees and belly thing so I can sympathize there. It's so hard when your body is feeling one way and you feel another way and there's no middle ground.

Jody, try not to worry so much. I know it's hard to do, cuz I'm a worrier too but it's only stressing you out more and it's not good for you but you really should try not to stress. Everything will work out for you. And I read somewhere on the message boards that OHIP might approve DS if a person's BMI is over 50 or 60, not to say yours is but it was something that I read. You can always talk to your doctor and your surgeon about it, they will work with you to help you wherever they can.

I do suggest you look up others in here who have had the DS and seek out those in here who have a similar situation to yours. You just might find someone who went through the exact process you would have to go through and they might be able to provide some insights for you.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me anytime! I can always lend an ear!

Hugs!
Carol
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 5:48 pm
On the soulcysters message forum some of the girls said that the surgery doesnt cure the facial hair :(

But they said it helped with a lot of the other symptoms like periods and fertilty :D
Meg_S
on 5/25/10 10:40 am - Natick, MA
What about the skin tags? I hate those things!!!!
Keelan
on 5/22/10 10:23 am
Any weight loss surgery should help with the PCOS. It sucks enough being overweight and fighting the battle but then us girls get PCOS to top it off. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and thank god I was able to control it with the Metformin and Spirtone along with birth control.
I don't know if loosing weight will help with the facial hair but I am a firm believe that the spirtone does, as gross as it should I would have to dye my mustache like evrey week and since startign treatment I have done it maybe twice. Spirtone has become my best friend.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Jody08
on 5/22/10 10:41 pm - essex, Canada
 for me i always wonder with PCOS and weight issues, is it the chicken or the egg theory
did u have PCOS and it caused the weight issues or
did your weight issues cause the PCOS??

also all the environmental factors, like phytoestrogens or PCB's that mimic estrogen etc..this PCOS issue is xtremely pronounced in industrial areas
so for me i was thinking that if i could do a DS that would be best cuz that would bypass my messed up signals but they don't usually do the DS in ontario
but then the VSG is great too bcuz of the portionof the stomach they remove contains alot of the hormone producing chemical signals that get sent to the brain

but i may just have a RNY, i guess any WLS is good for PCOS cuz it forces the body to re=think the signals and how to process the sugars and carbs

luckily my hair growth is pale and my skin is fair..so i pluck it or shave it but then end up with pimples..on top of the acne*lol*

going to go see a traditonal chinese doc soon..hopefully they can help

dancetink724
on 5/31/10 1:44 pm - Friant, CA
Well i went to my surgeon with all the same concerns..

and he basically said any weight loss will help with your PCOS. and no PCOS will never go away, but your symptoms will be decreased by leaps and bounds! 

A new article was published in the medical journal about DS vs RNy for PCOS'ers. Originally they thought that DS was the best because of the switch and thats what caused your IR to go away. But the new study showed that the same results came with the RNY. SO long story short, he suggested the RNY because it forces you to change your eating habits and make it a life long journey, where you could be "lazier" with the DS since you dont get dumping syndrom.

So I am getting all my Pre-op tests done to go for the RNY!

Hope this helps! 
jac2010
on 6/6/10 4:48 am
 My surgeon and his PA recommended RNY because of the metabolic issues related to PCOS.  They also said you have a better chance of losing more of your excess body weight with RNY as opposed to the lapband.  GOOD LUCK!
Highest Known Weight 301, SW - 278, GOAL - 150!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1132 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3087 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3676 views