What my surgeon suggested to kick up my weight loss

Jean M.
on 6/18/08 6:37 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I saw my surgeon yesterday for my monthly check-up.  I only lost 2 lbs. last month and told him I was frustrated with my weight loss.  After quizzing me about my eating (how much I can eat at one time, how soon I get hungry after eating, how many calories/day I'm eating) and exercise, he said I'm doing all the right things (bless his heart).  As you get closer to your goal, it becomes harder to lose weight because your body wants to protect itself by holding on to the weight and slows its metabolism.  "You know, you have lost a tremendous amount of weight already," he said.  But he also said I can definitely reach my goal if I'm patient enough.  And he offered me a prescription for Precose to help kick up my weight loss.

Precose (acarbose) is an oral diabetes drug.  It is a small tablet taken before meals that interferes with the metabolism of carbohydrates.  The side effects are flatulence and diarrhea (because of undigested carbs in the lower GI tract), but these effects tend to diminish over time.  It should not cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  My insurance does not cover regular weight loss drugs like Phentermine or Meridia, but it covers Precose with a $6 co-pay for the brand or a $3 co-pay for the generic form.

Maybe y'all will think I'm taking "the easy way out", but I took the prescription.  This is kind of like having a limited (to carbohydrates), temporary gastric bypass.  It doesn't have the truly disgusting side effects of malabsorbing fats (like with Xenical, which I tried without success).  If the side effects are too bad or it doesn't work, I can stop taking it at any time and revert to normal metabolism.  If I can lose the last few pounds this way (and with the help of my beloved and well-adjusted band), and then maintain, I will be very happy.

So, I thought you might be interested in this.  I thought I was well-educated about weight loss medications, but I had never heard of Precose before yesterday.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Donna L.
on 6/18/08 11:33 am - Wilson, NC
Jean, I hope this gives you the boost that you need.  I know you've been frustrated for the past few weeks.  Let us know how this works for you.  As always you are a trooper! 
Hugs! Donna L (finding_me) - I just know I'm here somewhere...
Pre-opAppointment/Surgery/Current/Goal/Height
276/265/208.5/158/5'7"
MillieJ
on 6/18/08 11:52 am, edited 6/18/08 11:53 am
Hey, whatever works.... if you need a pill to get yourself going (pun intended) then do it. I sure would. Its not like you have been careless with you intake. Let us know how it works out. .... Millie ... PS .. you don't need to tell details (TMI) lol lol lol
Cajun Angel
on 6/18/08 10:28 pm - New Orleans, LA
Jean, I will not judge you, it's your choice.  Whatever it takes to get 'er done!  Good luck, let us know how it works out. Debbie
Roadtothin
on 6/19/08 4:38 am - Huntington Beach, CA
Very interesting.  Let us know how the side effects are.  That would be the biggest thing for me.  I have IBS and there are alot of things I can't take and foods I can't eat.  I tried the prescription strength for Alli and it gave me diahrea that I couldn't control so I would be afraid.  Do you have Diabetes?  Is this something they can give you even if you don't?

Glitter Text Generator
Jean M.
on 6/19/08 9:10 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
I do have type 2 diabetes (very well controlled since surgery), but I think they can prescribe this even if you don't have diabetes.  My surgeon has another OH member on Precose who I don't think has diabetes and she says it's workking for her. Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

justjudy
on 6/19/08 12:21 pm - Canton, MI
Thye have been prescribing Glucophage for weight loss for some time and I took it before my surgery.  I lost about 20 pounds but alas, at that time the effect was only temporary.  I still have some and wondered if it would help with the band, so I will be anxious to hear how it works for you.  The good thing about these medications is they don't drop your blood sugar below normal but they do prevent those insulin surges that cause us to feel hungry.

Judy

nancygp
on 6/28/08 2:08 am - Point, TX
I was wondering if that is anything close to Glimepiride that I take for my diabetes...new medicine to get to surgery without insulin...just checking if you have heard of that med.  Thank you.  Sincerely, Nancygp

Nancygp PreOp Surgery Date: 7or8/2008   RNY 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 363 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1161 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1167 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1107 views