Favorite Healthy Snacks

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/10 4:35 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I love to learn new things...
What are your favorite healthy snacks?

For me my snacks are usually 1 or 2 from this list........

A piece of fruit (apple, pear, banana, grapes, tangerines)
10 grm of 80% or higher dark choc
Natural Peanut Butter with Strawberry jam on a lite rye Wasa cracker
Fiber One Cereal 1/2 cup w/soy milk
Whey Protein Powder (1 scoop  130 cals, 25 gr protein)
12 Almonds
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Anyone have any other ideas??
Molly S.
on 4/11/10 8:22 am - Chicago, IL
vitialious products-- triple chunk vitatop, banana nut vitatop, vita brownie.
light mozerella cheese sticks from traders joes

HW 611  Pre-opW 580   LW 302  GW 238         

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 9:10 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Believe it or not I've never tried those vita muffins........I think I'll pick some up this week.
Thanks for the tip!
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 9:48 am
1) fruit

2) carrots - while I think the prepared baby carrots are really cute, they are actually full size carrots cut down and what they remove is the part next to the skin that is the sweetest - so I only buy full size carrots now and peel and eat.

3) Popcorn - I use generic cheap popcorn. Use a large pot  - pour in just enough popcorn kernels in a single layer to almost cover the bottom (not completely). To keep the popcorn from jumping out cover the pot with a metal mesh splatter guard. Turn heat to high for 1 minute and then turn to medium high. Gently shake pan (like jiffy popcorn if you're old enough to remember) about 3 times each minute - keep shaking until popping stops - take off heat and pour in bowls and shake salt or other spices lightly, eat and enjoy. Takes a few minutes - probably the same as microwave I think.

4) Soup
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 10:00 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
A Weigh****chers leader I know LOVES popcorn...she sprays it with Pam and then sprinkles cinnamon on it.  Sounds nasty to me but she swears it's delicious..

I never knew baby carrots were just cut to look cute.  Learn something new every day!  I buy whole carrots anyhow.....did you know they say you should parboil them whole and then cut them (peel and cut ends off first) to eat.....seems to save much of the important nutrients doing it this way.

I recently read that carrots are good for helping to prevent many "female" cancers (like ovarian, cervical, etc).

HollyRachel
on 4/11/10 1:28 pm

I never knew baby carrots were like that either! That's sort of a neat little piece of knowledge.  

I like this post, wish more people posted their favorite snacks! 

1.  popcorn- I'm a popcorn fanatic.  I LOVE It.  We buy in bulk at Costco's. I stopped buying the microwave kind a few years ago.  My favorite topping is nutritional yeast.  Gives it that cheesy taste and adds some protein to it.

2.  Spring rolls..just vegetarian types..no need for meat in them unless you want, then I throw crab usually..but whatever works.  Think I figured once there is about eighty calories in each.  Two gives me a good size snack, and so easy to make.

3.  apples with just a tbsp of almond butter...mmmm  i share my apple with my dog.lol

4.  oatmeal- i'm also an oatmeal fanatic.lol  i hardly go without a day of oatmeal and blueberries!  I just don't eat it for breakfast.lol anytime is oatmeal time!!ha

5.  fruit/green smoothie or ice cream made in my vita mix.  frozen fruit with a little bit of soy milk or apple juice and bingo! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 10:02 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I eat 1-2 apples every day and I love them with PB or Almond Butter but don't do it daily. EVERY TIME I sit down to eat my snack my dog shows up....he loves apples!!!!!!

I eat oatmeal at least 5 mornings every week for breakfast.  Have you tried Fiber One as a snack?  I like it with soy milk and may try it warm one day....I hear it's good.

Thanks for sharing!!
peachpie
on 4/11/10 11:58 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15
I'm a HUGE fan of oatmeal, or any hot cereal for that matter. recently I switched to an oat bran hot cereal, much more fiber & protein. Only thing with me oatmeal is a breakfast food- my mind won;t let me believe it can be a snack food.

I see many here are fans of popcorn & carrots. I don;t like popcorn at all- (hate when ti gets stuck in my teeth) and I can't handle any vegetable raw/cold. They must be steamed. warm. 

peachpie
on 4/11/10 11:54 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15
I'm learning I'm not person that is hungry very often- hence I'm not much of a snacker. For some reason though days that when I  work I have to pack at least one snack. Weekends I really do not snack. My favorite snacks (of lately) probably don't rank high on the healthy side- but they are what work best for my lifestyle & likes:

-Peaches (jarred- some weird mental warp will not allow me to eat fresh peaches). I ditch the syrup its in and just eat the peaches. 
-Thomas' Mini-bagel (cinniman raisin)
-Kudos 100 calories bar
-pretzels
-orange, apple or plum

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 422 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 545 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 742 views