Help!!!

Sharonjean63
on 4/2/10 12:35 am - Hamilton, TX
  Hello Everyone!!!

My Mom's passport is on it's way in the mail! So now I'm down to the nitty gritty of saying yes and sending my deposit. I made my decision to go to Dr Alamnza before all the controversy, which by the way needs to stop!!!  I just need advice and encouragement to just say yes and send my deposit. I think I'm afraid of the changes after surgery. I'm not afraid to go to Mexico.

PLEASE NO BASHING!!!

Thanks

Sharon  
greenbaygirl
on 4/2/10 3:06 am - Hobart, WI
Hi Sharon,

You're almost there.......you have already done the hard part, which is making the decision to have the surgery, then deciding which kind to have and then picking your surgeon. 

Yes, there are some changes after surgery.  But if you are like most of us.....we are overweight for a reason, and that is we couldn't control how much we ate..now you can!  Your body is very smart after surgery and will tell you quickly what you can and cannot do at each step.  GO SLOW and give it the time it needs to do that and you will be fine.

Personally it is the easiest and best thing I ever did.  I have never eaten too much, or thrown up although it took me a bit to get used to eating slower.  I eat pretty much anything I want, just very small amounts.  But, it's not like dieting where you WANT to eat more, but know you shouldn't...your body simply doesn't want more!  At 8 months out, my life is completely normal, and when I eat out with others who don't know about my surgery, they don't notice alot of difference except that I eat less.

Some things (for me) are different.  I don't care for pasta type things now.  I can eat a bite or two and then I just don't want it. Carbonated beverages like pop only require two sips and I am done also.
Other than that for me, it's just a matter of trying and liking everything but in little amounts.

I eat really well now, mostly chicken and fish although I have steak too, just not as much.  I eat more fruit and veggies now too.  When you only have to fill a 1/2 cup size stomach, I pick what I want carefully.

That's not to say I have given up anything good to eat, but I only need 2-3 bites of it for taste and then I am completely satisfied!  It's wonderful, and you are almost there!!!

The pain is minimal, and recovery is pretty quick and easy!  

Good Luck to you, it'll be all over before you know it and you'll be back home starting the NEW YOU!

Keep us posted!

Jean
FabBy50 .
on 4/2/10 4:27 am - Everett, WA
junebug1965
on 4/2/10 5:17 am
I have made my mind up to go to Dr Almanza as well. I have complete faith in him and the facility. I am more terrified of the flight to and from San Diego. You will be fine.

Crystal

Boscogirl
on 4/2/10 5:52 am - TX
Make the call lady!!  You will never regret it!!  So far this has been waaaaaaayyyyyy easier than I thought it would be!
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/10 11:44 am
 Hi!

The changes I've experienced so far (and in no particular order):
- I've actually lost 51 pounds by eating so much less and cutting carbs to a max of 35 g/day AND:
     Protein first
     Chew everything at least 25 times
     Eat slowly
    No fluids 45 min after eating

- Cutting out carbs also means very few veggies and even fewer fruits for a few months at least
- Reading labels so much more closely to find out if "they" are hiding sugars and starches
- Feeling tired because those carbs are now off my diet
- Feeling, I don't know how to explain it but I think "cleaner", and detoxified because there is virtually no "junk" in my body now
- My teeth/tongue/mouth do not collect as much plaque
- Eating now is comparable to the "tasting" of food I did before in terms of quantity
- My grocery bill is a whole lot less even though I buy better cuts of meat, prawns and "real" protein sources
- I'm not able to stomach much alcohol -- I love Oban
- I've not had a pop, beer or champagne -- I love champagne & beer on a really hot day
- My hair is starting to thin but it will grow back
- Lactose intolerance but I can eat cooked cheese and have almond milk
- Smaller, better looking clothes
- Smelly breath from the protein sources
- I rarely feel hungry
- I still have head hunger at night
- I count carbs and not anything else
- I don't measure anything
- Supplements are a must

Also, see the VSG Forum as one poster said she gained 75 pounds after 3 years of being on the sleeve.

And, as you probably know, if the sleeve doesn't work for you, it is the first step in a DS -- that also was a consideration for me.

The changes that have happened to me are "my" changes that are not necessarily "good" or "bad" and it doesn't necessarily mean all will apply to you ever or in the same duration as me. To me, they're just changes.

I wish you everything wonderful, regardless of your decision.

Take care,
Cheryl

lucerne419
on 4/2/10 11:44 pm - Crandon, WI
Oh, my goodness.....don't wait.  Do it!  You won't be sorry.  My sister had this done last July (Jean has also posted here) and when she told me about it, I booked almost immediately.  I went in January.  It was a wonderful experience.  Loved Dr. Almanza and Betencourt.  My care was wonderful.  No problems at all.  The clinic is clean.  The recovery house is clean.  It's fun getting to know the others that are there and having the same thing.  Follow what the doctors/nurses tell you....you'll do fine.  I am 9 weeks post op and have lost 26 pounds, plus 10 prior to surgery.  I am very happy.  I can eat anything I want, just not much of it.  Doritos used to be my vice - we were on a first name basis.  I can eat 7-8 Doritos now, but then I don't want anymore and I am full.  And that's okay with me.  I eat healthier than I ever did before now, too.  When you know you only have a small pouch to fill, you make a healthy choice and have fish instead of cookies.  I have not exercised at all.....I eat well, never hungry....and the weight is coming off at about 3 pounds a week.  This surgery was so easy, very minimal pain, never took a pain pill......go ahead and book it.  And call me if you have any questions.....715-478-5657 (Kim).

LifeLover
on 4/3/10 12:20 pm - Hoover, AL
Hi Sharon,
I know that you will be thrilled with your experience with Dr. Almanza. I was! Feel free to check out my entire story on my home page so you can have a little idea of what to expect.

Also....FYI, I was so satisfied with my experience, my hubby will be having surgery with Dr. Almanza as well. He took the trip with me and is 100% confident that he will be in great hands!

XOXOXO,
Christi
We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

lolalucy
on 4/6/10 9:30 am
 No bashing from me thats for sure! My experience with Dr. Almanza was wonderful!! Congrats and Good luck to you!  Keep us posted!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 623 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1209 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1836 views