Recent Posts

kathkeb
on 2/25/15 10:06 am
Topic: RE: Need advice

Wendy,

The band can be a 'fickle *****'.  It is possible that your vomiting last week has irritated your esophagus and caused some swelling ... And it keeps getting worse.

What I would do is to go back to soft foods and liquids for 2 days ... And see if that helps (yogurts, soups, well-mashed tuna, etc.).

if that doesn't help, I would try to see a local doctor or ER to see if the band slipped and get the fluid out.

Good luck!!!

Kath

wendyb315
on 2/25/15 1:20 am, edited 2/25/15 1:22 am
Topic: Need advice

All of a sudden I've started having trouble with my band.  I have not changed anything that I am doing.  Last week I started getting stuck often and vomiting.  I'm now unable to eat solid food without pain and vomiting.  Clear liquids go down very slowly.  I'm having difficulty taking my meds because they won't go down.  All of this is causing a lot if pain in my chest and throat.  I feel like I have a lump in my throat.  I have no idea what may have happened.

So here is my question. I live in NJ but I'm in FL until the end of March.  Should I try and find a doctor here or just go to an ER? I don't want to go home early because of this and calling my doctor at home won't really do much. My doctor at home has never been helpful when I've called in with a problem.  I actually haven't seen him in a year because I haven't needed an adjustment.  I'm not wild about seeing him again as I've lost faith in him, he moved to a different (and undesirable hospital) and dropped my insurance.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Wendy

Edit to add:  I've had my lapband since May 2010.

Vivian Prouty
on 2/24/15 10:20 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Topic: MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE FOR TODAY

MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE FOR TODAY....... Avoid junk foods and junk thoughts. Treat your body, mind, and emotions with the gentle care they deserve.

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Candle
on 2/24/15 4:32 am - Long Island, NY
Candle
on 2/24/15 4:20 am - Long Island, NY
Topic: RE: Left shoulder pain. Considering band removal. If you've done the same, did you get relief?

"Funny how, often times, you don't realize how sick you are until you are better."

So true!! I got the band to get healthier and it would appear it was poisoning me!

My surgeon's office was very supportive. They even got a denial over turned w/ my insurance company. I had my band removed yesterday. Feeling kind of crappy today but overall not too bad.

I will report back on my shoulder once some time has passed.

Another interesting item:

I have Scoliosis and had 2 MAJOR spinal fusions when I was a teenager. I chalk all back pain up to that. About 2 yrs after getting the band I developed Sciatica. Having about 1-3 flare ups a year. I just had a really bad one last week. Barely able to function & go to work. I was worried about recovering from abdominal surgery w/ my back in that state. Guess what? It's completely better now!! I haven't taken any pain killers today. Maybe that was band related too because of the vagus nerve? Ugh! 

Vivian Prouty
on 2/23/15 10:06 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Topic: MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE FOR TODAY

MOTIVATIONAL QUOTE FOR TODAY....... The way of success: Visualize the end result, Plan, Take action, Persevere, Re-plan, Take action, Persevere.

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Hislady
on 2/23/15 12:29 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: 5 YR OUT LOOSING HAIR NOT WEIGHT

I have read of a few bandsters who have lost hair years post op from being malnourished from the vomiting caused by the band so if that is the situation you should bring it up with your docs and see about stronger supplements or some way to get in your nutrients.

annie0039
on 2/23/15 10:31 am
Topic: RE: 5 YR OUT LOOSING HAIR NOT WEIGHT

If your 5 Yrs Post Operative from the band it can be from IRON Deficiency, Have it checked out.

Telogen Effluvium is ONLY Immediately Post-op after Major Surgery, or Drastic Weight loss or Excess Stress!

Other REASONS for hair loss:

Thyroid Problems, Alopecia, Scalp Conditions, Medications< POS, and Excess Styling.

Good Luck with your removal

annie0039
on 2/23/15 10:27 am
Kathy S.
on 2/23/15 5:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Topic: Did You Know? You Can Submit Your Before And After Photos?

Hi Everyone

Nothing inspires us more than scanning through before and afters photos.  When I was considering my surgery once I got through viewing the before and afters I believed I could do this. Whenever I had doubts I would view the before and afters and came away saying "YES I CAN"!

Please share Your Journey with us and submit  your before and after photos.  Be sure and sign and fax in the photo permission form so we can share them on our blogs and articles.  

If you are a VET, we would love to update your before and afters

Before & After Gallery Submission Instructions

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active