A Cool Breeze

by Seth Margolies

Its been very nice you are saying to yourself. How long has it been since you got one of Seth long winded letters about his athletic exploits which no one really cares about. Well just when you thought it was safe to open your laptop and look at your email program-IM BACK! I know I have lost some of you at this point and that is fine.

Yesterday at 6 am, my friend Zea and I set off to Ventura county to ride in a century known as Cool Breeze. Zea wanted to do the metric century which was only 62 miles but I wanted the century. As many of you know I had surgery in December and I lost a lot of conditioning. At 41 it is not an easy feat to get back into performance athletics. It takes hard work. Now add to that the fact that I lost 4 months of training and it turns into a long haul. I really did not know if I was capable of doing the 100 but I set out to do it anyway. For those of you who don't know the Ventura- Santa Barbara area, it is beautiful Multi million dollar homes breath taking ocean views. The ride was one of the nicest I have been on. Zea is a good partner too; she is steady. Our usual group was broken up. Dave and Roberta did the smaller ride and Amie was on call. Mary Elizabeth sadly no longer speaks to us. Her spirit was with us and missed. I was fine for most of it but starting losing some towards the end. My pace slowed to like 12 miles an hour. I was a tug boat. But it did not bother me.      

It was all about finishing without injury and just finishing. It is not easy to sit on a bike all day hunched over with the seat the size of a thong strap in your butt. Somewhere in the back of my head I have it in me to do an iron man. Boy do I have my work cut out. But it is about the mental as much as the physical. Add 26.2 miles of running and a 2.5 mile swim and you have the iron man. The next endeavor I plan is a mini triathlon next month with my friend Alicia.      

I am in the pool every few days training for that. I am determined to get back into the shape I was prior to surgery, actually better. See this letter wasn't so bad I am almost done. I guess the point is if you put your mind towards something anything is possible. And so foe those of you that made it this far, I wish you the best and for those who split after sentance two a pox on your house.

Love and Peace,
Seth

Most Active