newyorkbitch’s Posts

newyorkbitch
on 5/8/12 9:47 am
Topic: RE: My Daughter Is Freaking Out & Trying to Interfer with My Surgery!
Your PCP is prohibited by law to discuss you or anything about you with anybody, without your consent.  Tell your PCP to please not take a call about you from anyone unless you have authorized it beforehand with a specific person/s.

newyorkbitch
on 3/31/12 9:28 am
Topic: RE: Colonoscopy - after Duodenal Switch - DS
It helps to eat a low residue diet for a few days prior to your "clean out."  Google low residue diet.
newyorkbitch
on 3/24/12 2:34 am
Topic: RE: Did anyone have trouble tolerating protein shakes
You're going to lift 75 lb bags at 3-weeks post-op?  All day long?  That is not smart.

newyorkbitch
on 3/18/12 1:23 am
Topic: RE: STOP!!! Trying to "Talk Me Out Of Surgery" !!!!
 If you didn't want your FB "friends" to comment,  then why did you post such personal information for all to see?

The best thing you can do now is just ignore what you want to ignore.  What's done is done.

By the way, you can make a "real friends" subgroup of your friends and only post certain things to them.
newyorkbitch
on 3/16/12 6:56 am
Topic: RE: Post surgical abdominal pain, any suggestions?
 Who prescribed Valium?  Is it for anxiety?

You just had abdominal surgery.  Of course you are uncomfortable. It will take time.
newyorkbitch
on 3/16/12 2:30 am
Topic: RE: has any one had dental problems after ds
 I am 12 years post-op and I have zero tooth/gum issues. 
newyorkbitch
on 3/12/12 6:22 am
newyorkbitch
on 3/11/12 8:22 pm
Topic: RE: No stool is that normal? surgical date 2/14/12
I assume you have a doctor to go to?  Having a doctor in Mexico is not really going to help you.  Who is your local doctor? If you still have not moved your bowels at this point,  I think you should go see your doctor.

Cranapple does nothing for your bladder/kidneys and it adds a lot of carbs. Just drink lots of water.  You need to drink 64 of water every day.  No exceptions.

newyorkbitch
on 3/11/12 10:07 am
Topic: RE: Protein = weightloss?
 How is your PTH intact?  It's not the serum calcium that matters.  But anyway,  you are a newbie...for many DSers,  the malabsorption doesn't make its way into labs for quite some time....as most experienced DSers will tell you, it is much better never, ever to let your levels tank rather than try to fix them once they're low.  You are not taking enough calcium or D.  And you're not taking D in the right form.

Now a question - if you've been "on Atkins" most of your life and your diet has been "healthy" then pray tell how you got morbidly obese?
newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 9:57 pm
newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 5:10 pm, edited 3/10/12 5:11 pm
What calcium are you taking and how much/often?

Listen,  just because a nutritionist gave you something called a "DS diet" does NOT mean it's appropriate!  How many times do you have to hear that from experienced DSers?

A DSer DOES NOT need to be concerned with "heart-healthy" fats.  A nutritionist who told you that DOES NOT understand the DS.

Ask her for the RNY guidelines and see if/how they are different.  

newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 10:58 am
Topic: RE: No stool is that normal? surgical date 2/14/12
a) what are you eating
b)  are you uncomfortable
c) what did your doctor say
newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 1:55 am, edited 3/10/12 11:31 am
 It is normal to have stalls.  Normal.  You don't have to "do" anything to break your stall.  If you focus on protein,  limit your carbs,  drink plenty of fluids,  and get a moderate amount of exercise, you will continue to lose weight.  It really is that simple.

What is your rush?  You're six months out...the weight will come off....the DS is a marathon,  not a sprint.

Why haven't you told us what your vitamin regimen consists of?  Since your nutritionist's DS guidelines are so off,  you should be concerned about the vitamin recs as well.
newyorkbitch
on 3/9/12 9:55 pm
 This is nonsensical.  Why would upping the fat with fatty cheese be healthier than eating the skin on chicken, or eating beef?  And why,  if you don't absorb fat,  does "heart-healthy" fat have any relevance?

Have you seen this nutritionist's RNY guidelines?  If so,  how are they different from the DS guidelines?

What (details) supplements/vitamins are you taking?  How much calcium, for example,  and what form?  How many times a day?  Same re Vit D...

newyorkbitch
on 3/8/12 8:43 pm
Topic: RE: Does Z-Pack work for us?
"z-pack" is azithromycin, which is a macrolide antibiotic.

It only helps if what you have is a bacterial infection.  It does nothing for viral infections.

newyorkbitch
on 3/8/12 7:31 pm
Do you honestly believe that doing something different than every successful DSer is going to bring you success?

newyorkbitch
on 3/8/12 10:44 am
newyorkbitch
on 3/8/12 3:42 am, edited 3/8/12 10:39 am
The "heart healthy" and "unhealthy" fats are IRRELEVANT to DSers because we DO NOT ABSORB THEM.

I am 12 years out.  I eat more "unhealthy fats" than you can imagine.  My cholesterol is LOW LOW LOW like all DSers.

There is no reason for you not to eat pork and beef,  no reason for you to not eat the skin on chicken.  You can choose to listen to your medical team which does not understand the DS,  or you can read dozens, dozens, dozens of posts from people who have lived with the DS for years.

If you want to lose weight and keep your systems going well,  you need to eat more protein,  fewer carbs (especially fewer simple carbs),  and stop worrying about fat intake.    Drink lots of water. 

I wonder what the vitamins/supps recommendations you are getting from these people are.

And by the way,  lots of people here have "medical people" in their family.  In fact my father,  stepmother, stepfather,  aunt, uncle, and both grandfathers are physicians.

You did not drop over 100 lbs in 6 months because you ate a low fat diet.  MOST PEOPLE here lost that much weight and many lost more....and with plenty of protein and fat in their diets.  You lost that weight BECAUSE YOU HAD A DS AND YOU ARE NOT ABSORBING.

With all your arrogance and smarts,  your unwillingness to learn from the vast experience here on this board is going to harm you.

And besides,  if you don't need any help and you don't think you will benefit from the experience here,  and you are so sure that your nutritionist etc are correct....then what do you seek to get from posting here?

There are lots of very respected DS surgeons out there who DO NOT KNOW **** about followup, nutrition,  vitamins,  etc.  In fact MOST OF THE DS SURGEONS are not worth even talking to after your surgery is over.  I have not used a DS surgeon in over 10 years - why on earth would I?  Surgeons are surgeons,  they are not internists or gastroenterologists or endocrinologists.

Full fat meat and dairy etc etc are perfect DS foods.
newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 8:28 pm
 You need to be sure.  This is your responsibility - y ou need to be tracking your intake using something like fitday,  and you need to know what you are eating.

Do you know how the DS works?  You malabsorb fat but you DO absorb carbs.

Cut out the simple carbs and you will lose weight.  Focus on protein,  water,  vegetables,  and limited complex carbs.  Cut the simple carbs.
newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 9:48 am
What is your carb intake?
newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 2:25 am
Topic: RE: Getting bored with meat and cheese
fish,  shellfish...I eat lots of shrimp, lobster, crab, fish...

Roast chicken,  steak,  burgers without the bun, pork tenderloin...
newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 2:16 am
Topic: RE: New Yorkers: What hospital would you suggest to do the DS at?
FYI - I don't think anybody at NYU does the DS on a regular basis.
newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:49 pm, edited 3/6/12 10:50 pm
It is very very difficult to maintain good health as a DS vegetarian.  You will have to find ways to eat a lot,  a lot of protein.   And some of the traditional ways like whole grains and legumes - rice and beans - will be very difficult because in a DSer they produce a lot,  a lot of gas and for lots of folks,  bloating and discomfort.  Also,  DSers continue to absorb carbs,  so eating a lot of carb-based proteins will slow your weight loss and quite possibly cause eventual re-gain.

Also,  a good number of DSers become latose intolerant.  Then what would you do?

You have to think very very seriously about this.  For a DSer,  it makes much, much more sense to eat meat sources of protein - chicken,  fish,  meat. At least chicken and fish.  Your health will most likely depend on it.
newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:47 pm
Pomp is an excellent surgeon - and if he thinks you need a 2-part surgery for your own safety,  you should listen to him.  He has been doing the DS for a long time.  At least 13 years.

Inabnet the same - at least 13 years.  I also like Dan Herron a lot at Mt Sinai - also doing it at least 13 years - but he is very very conservative about who he will perform a DS on.

The dsfacts list is NOT the be-all and end-all.  Do your own due diligence.

Gagner,  Inabnet, Pomp,  Herron - this was the original lap DS team at Mt. Sinai.  They are all extraordinarily experienced with the DS.

I had my DS at Mt Sinai in March of 2000.  They were all there at that time.  Christine Ren was a fellow,  so was Voellinger.  Gagner did my DS,  assisted by Ren and Voellinger.  When I had my emergency bowel obstruction 2 years later,  the first surgery was Inabnet,  the second one Pomp.  With Herron consulting.  When I was planning to get pregnant,  and when I was pregnant,  I consulted with Herron to work out a birth plan in the event of a vaginal birth or c-section,  because of my extensive surgical history.  He was terrific,  and he scrubbed in during my c-section just to be there in case there were issues.  While I was open, he explored my abdomen very thoroughly,  to see,  while we had the opportunity,  what weaknesses I might have in the muscle wall,  how my mesh was sitting,  etc etc. 

newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:40 pm
Roslin
Pomp
Inabnet

The hospital will be determined by which of those surgeons you choose.  Roslin is at Lenox Hill,  Pomp at Cornell-NYP,  Inabnet at Mt Sinai.   All are good.