shannn’s Posts

shannn
on 7/6/14 5:35 am
Topic: RE: 4 years!

Today is my four year surgiversary. The past four years have been the most transformative ones of my life.
I've lost 175 pounds, yes; but I've lost and gained so much more.
I lost high blood pressure.
I lost diabetes.
I lost high cholesterol.
I lost my timidity.
I lost willingness to accept unhappiness and the status quo.
I lost my belief that I will die early.
I lost seat belt extenders, Lane Bryant, and shapeless clothes.
I gained self-esteem.
I gained hanging skin that makes me uncomfortable with my nakedness.
I gained health.
I gained the confidence to be fully present in my life.

I quit my job last year, not willing to be unhappy anymore. I've lost a lot of people of the years, my parents, my uncle; and I won't take chances in wasting whatever time I have. Life's too short.

My life is not perfect, and I am not perfect. I fall and then I restart-- too many carbs, miss some of my pills, don't drink enough. I start my day off with protein coffee and then I eat whatever I feel like eating, still usually small portions. I always focus on protein with my meals, but I have some of everything. I can't eat raw food at all anymore, no raw veggies or salad. I can eat a few bites of bread if it's covered with butter or half a sandwich with lots of fat and protein. I eat dessert but I usually can't fini**** (and the days that I do choose to have it I'm usually in the bathroom 3-4 times that night). I know bounceback happens and I'm vigilant in watching but so far I haven't had any so I just keep on going as I am. I weigh and record each month. If I start to regain, I'll reassess how I eat.

Weight:
Before 297
Year 1 146
Year 2 126
Year 3 131
Year 4 124

Before:

After:

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

shannn
on 3/11/14 9:10 am
Topic: RE: FAT FREE

I have lost 175 pounds and am maintaining....

Most of these are very good guidelines with a few exceptions:

1) I eat a great deal of dairy, none of it low fat or nonfat. Think cheese, milk, yogurt

2) I wouldn't build my diet around any kind of bread/cereal/pasta unless I wanted to be incredibly sick all the time. Whole grain or not- they're still carbs.

3) I can't eat fruit- the natural sugars in it are way too high and it makes me sick.

4) I mostly eat meat and again, NOT lean meat. I couldn't eat chicken for a long long time because it made me sick. I don't eat fish. I can only eat pork tenderloins, but not chops- too tough. I eat steak, ground beef, roast if cooked with a lot of juices,  chicken if covered in a sauce, and shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab).

Again, as with everything, YMMV!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

shannn
on 3/7/14 10:44 pm
Topic: RE: 4 Weeks post-op and only down 25 pounds

I lost 22 pounds in my first month preop. I went on to lose 175 - slow and steady won the race for me.

I am worried though that the only protein I see on your list is the cheese. And there are a lot of carbs in most commercially prepared soups. Ditch the crackers if you can and add in some more protein. Ricotta cheese & eggs were good for me early out.

~shannon

shannn
on 1/5/14 11:59 am
Topic: RE: Multiple Questions (Please see if you can answer any of them) - Thanks in Advance!

1- Not a 2 parter but I eat high protein, high fat, low carb (when I'm being good)

2- My life is fairly normal. If I eat too many carbs, I get gassy (and I've always been a bit gassy). I honestly don't pay attention to what I eat very much, so I know I could control it more if it bothered me. I wear a size 8 pants and a size medium top. I am a "normal" mom sized person, and I LOVE being average!!

3- I eat everything! I have to be careful with meat, especially chicken and pork to make sure that it's not too dry. I do better if it has a lot of sauce. I can only eat one piece of pizza before I start pulling off the toppings, and I can only eat a few bites of a sandwich before I just scoop out the insides. The only things that have ever made me sick was fake sugar which gives me a horrible headache and Dreamfield pasta. Only real stuff for me. Every once in a while I eat too much and get sick- my body will definitely reject things if I don't listen to it.

4- My body stopped losing on its own. I hover in the low 130s. My goal was 175, then 150, and then I just hung on for the ride before my body decided I was done at 130.

5- NO, no regrets!

6- I buy vitalady's DS regimen. I know I could probably do it cheaper, but it's easy for me.

7- Starting 297, this morning 131. I think my lowest ever was 126, but I pretty much stay around 130.

8- Protein coffee every morning without fail, sometimes an extra one in the afternoon. Focus on protein in meals (eggs, cheese, meat).

9- It so depends. Sometimes I have tiny tummy days where I can only eat a few bites. Sometimes I can finish a restaurant portion (at least of the protein part, I hardly ever finish the veg/carb part of the meal). If I don't finish a meal, I bring home leftovers and I usually finish those in the next few hours.

Good luck... I'm 3 1/2 years out and life is good!

~shannon

shannn
on 11/19/13 12:20 am
Topic: RE: DS "weight loss window"?

Your mileage may vary. (Everybody is different.)

~shannon

shannn
on 9/16/13 10:48 pm
Topic: RE: Just a few things....

1) For the constipation, as much fluids and fats as you can stand.

2) All doctors are different in how quickly you can progress in foods, but my major issue with protein bars was the sugar alcohol content. Try one (or a part of one) and see how you react to it. Sugar alcohols give me major headaches-- I do way better with real sugar.

3) I never stopped drinking real caffeinated coffee, and by your point I was definitely drinking my protein in my coffee. I crave it now!

4) I had my first taste of diet coke at about a month out. At first, I could only drink a part of one because I got so full. Some people have trouble with carbonation, but I never have. Now (3 years out) I drink one diet coke per day.

So...to recap-- everybody's different. ;) I can't do sugar alcohols or drink with my meals-- but I have no trouble with carbonation. You just have to try things one at a time and see how you personally react.

Good luck!

~shannon

shannn
on 9/15/13 11:58 pm
Topic: RE: food and protien intake

There's no way I could have gotten my required protein from food at that point. Protein coffee (made with protein powder) is still absolutely essential part of my day. Have you tried to find shakes that work for you?

~shannon

shannn
on 9/15/13 12:09 am
Topic: RE: Looking for some deep down honesty and some hindsight as foresight

Hang in there, honey!

For most people, it gets SOOO much better!

~shannon

shannn
on 9/14/13 10:13 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for some deep down honesty and some hindsight as foresight

Downsides: the planning of my life!! I can't be spontaneous anymore-- When I have to go to the bathroom, I have to go right then. When I need to eat, I need to eat and it can't be just anything. I can't just run by McDonald's and I can't wait a long time. I can't drink while I eat or I'll puke. I have to have coffee in the morning to go in my protein shake. Life must be carefully planned and orchestrated. I miss being able to just eat whatever's available or nothing at all. I'm pretty high maintenance now.

The gas is definitely an impact on my husband especially. I could control it more, but (honestly) I don't so he gets the brunt of it. ;)

What I wish I had known: That I'd still not be happy with my body. I see now why "skinny girls" still think they're fat. I have rolls and saggy skin. My boobs are a mess. Maybe plastic surgery would make it better, but probably not make it go away completely. I think it's psychological rather than physical. Deep-seated feelings don't just go away. I think I look pretty good in the right clothes, but naked I'm a hot mess!!

AND

WLS made me want to change everything else in my life too. It set off a serious mid-life crisis for me. I got a tattoo, quit my job.... it gave me the courage to admit to myself everything that was making me unhappy and try to change it all.

*** Disclaimer: this makes it sound like I have way more negatives than positives. That is so not true. The positives WAY outweigh the negatives (pun intended). I love that my weight doesn't define my self image anymore!! I love being a "normal" size and not being prejudged. I love my children are proud of me. I love sitting on my husband's lap. I love shopping in any store. I love my DS!

~shannon

shannn
on 9/13/13 10:23 pm
Topic: RE: Best pre-op diet changes for a wannabe DS'er

Just for clarification: not everyone has to avoid carbonation after surgery. I drink 1 diet coke per day and I have since I was about 6 months out. I know nutritionally it's not great for me, but it's my drug of choice. I always say everyone has to die of something and I choose Diet Coke! ;)

~shannon

shannn
on 9/13/13 6:29 am
Topic: RE: Best pre-op diet changes for a wannabe DS'er

I'd say basically cut your carbs as much as you can. Try to make sure meals mostly protein and never eat a carb alone. So, if you're going to have toast for breakfast, eat a thin piece of bread and then add cheese or peanut butter to it. Visually, cut your plate in half and make that for protein, then 1/4 carb and 1/4 vegetable. Really pay attention to counting starchy vegetables as starches (so, corn & lima beans are starches not vegetables). Cut back on your sweets and make them an occasional treat.

And, remember, it WILL be easier after the surgery to make these changes!

~shannon

shannn
on 9/11/13 10:45 pm
Topic: RE: DS diet and your family

I don't believe that fat makes people fat-- I think carbs make people fat. My family eats only real food- no fake stuff, no low fat stuff. I cook with real butter. When we eat chicken, I use a whole chicken and I never buy fat free meats. I cook the way I always did and just eat very little of whatever starchy dish I make (pasta, rice, potato, etc.) I hope I'm teaching my kids to not rely on real food for real flavors and work on the size of their portions (which is what I think my family's real problem was in our eating habits.)

~shannon

shannn
on 9/8/13 11:02 pm
Topic: RE: HELP. I have no idea what surgery to choose. Please give me the details on DS.
4 years ago I was exactly where you are. After my initial consultation I was scheduled for an RNY. After starting hanging out here, I realized the difference in lifestyles. DSers eat high fat and high protein and I knew that was a diet I could live with- I hate fake low fat food!

I know you don't have to deal with this but the resolution of diabetes was better with the DS too.

But the biggest thing that made up my mind was regain. Most of the people who have huge regain and want another surgery are going from RNY to DS. I didn't want to need another surgery! Most DSers who have regain can lose it again if they go back to a strict DS diet-- low/no carbs, high in protein & fat.

Three years ago I had my DS and I've lost about 170 pounds. I've been maintaining it since I was 18 months out. I was 297 at my preop appt and this month (I weigh each month) I weighed 131. This is not true for everyone, but I eat anything I want. I absolutely make sure that I get my protein in but beyond that I just eat. My portion sizes are small but I eat whatever. I have gas when I eat carbs, including sugar, but I can control it if I make good choices (I don't always make good choices - grin). Both surgeries have malabsorption and you have to stay diligent with your supplements.

I'm incredibly happy with my DS!
~shannon

shannn
on 4/24/13 8:57 am
Topic: RE: How do I make a protein coffee?

1) Put heaping scoop of protein (I use Dymatize chocolate) in Blender bottle with milk (2%). Shake vigorously to mix.

2) Pour into big-ass mug.

3) Put mug under Keurig

4) Brew Folgers caramel drizzle coffee into mug.

5) Stir and drink the nectar of the gods.

~shannon

shannn
on 4/21/13 11:22 pm
Topic: RE: -itol (sugar alcohols) phobia for DSer's? Why?

They give me horrible headaches for some reason. I'm much better off with real sugar than fake stuff!

~shannon

shannn
on 4/21/13 11:20 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone Else Have Trouble Believing It's Real?!

YES!!!! I'm almost 3 years out and I wear a size 6 or 8 ****asionally a 4). I still can't believe it! I'm shocked that I can't go to Lane Bryant anymore. I keep waiting for my brain to catch up to this whole thing.

~shannon

shannn
on 4/21/13 11:16 pm
Topic: RE: food ideas?

I would try the ricotta thing with just the cheese and no sauce. I had a lot of trouble with the strong spices in tomato sauces for a long time.

Hmmm....no eggs... I lived on them during my puree stage. Tuna would be good with lots of mayo to make it moist.

Honestly, until you can eat more meat I'd still mostly rely on protein shakes.

~shannon

shannn
on 4/19/13 4:17 am, edited 4/19/13 4:18 am
Topic: RE: I thought Crystal light was going to be safe for me. Is it????

While I appreciate that not everyone feels this way, my surgeon's program was adamant about a lot of things that I've completely ignored because my research didn't back them up. I drink 20 oz. of Diet Coke every day and started drinking it again at about 3 months out. I'm 3 years out and I lost approximately 170 pounds. I've been at a stable weight for about 1 1/2 years. I respect if your decision is to follow your doctor's plan no matter what, but I just wanted others to know that doctor's plans aren't always the only way to do things.

(OH, and I drink Crystal Light every day too :))

~shannon

shannn
on 3/11/13 2:59 am
Topic: RE: Carbonation okay at 2+ years out?

I drink a 20 ounce diet coke every day. I know the research, but there are risks in life. My mom worried about her weight and did everything right and cancer killed her at age 63 anyway. I don't jump out of airplanes or smoke .... I choose diet coke. ;)

~shannon

shannn
on 2/27/13 2:00 am
Topic: RE: Post Your Protein Shakes, Coffees and Teas

shaker cup with wire ball

Dymatize Elite chocolate protein powder

2% milk (I just pour it in there...I don't know how much)

Folgers Caramel Drizzle K-cup

Put a large scoop of protein powder into the shaker cup and then add milk. Shake the hell out of it and then pour it into a big-ass mug. Put it underneath a Keurig and brew a K-cup into it. Stir and enjoy.

~shannon

shannn
on 2/16/13 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Let's Say Goodbye...

I said goodbye to

• daily prescription meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
  • sweating all the time
  • my feet hurting when I walked
  • my back hurting all the time
  • worrying about heart attacks & dying every time I got a pain
  • LANE BRYANT!!

I said hello to

• two piece bathing suits
  • belts
  • seat back tray tables
  • my lap
  • Ann Taylor & Tommy Hilfiger! 
~shannon

shannn
on 2/7/13 10:08 pm
Topic: RE: Coming back for support...after nearly 7 years and plastics...

I'm not Dawn, but I'll answer because Dr. Sauceda is a genius and DSers flock to him. :)

Plus he's way cheaper!!!

~shannon

shannn
on 2/5/13 2:57 am
Topic: RE: One month out and I still feel awful

I'd say that you still feel bad for a couple of reasons:

1) normal fatigue, 2 weeks is an unrealistic time frame for returning to work, a month is much more plausible and I've seen a lot of people say 6 weeks

2) lactose, I never had trouble with diary but a lot of people do. Get rid of the milk.

3) dehydration, liquids are your job right now. Drink, drink, drink. My husband divided my fluids into small 8 oz water bottles for me labeled with the time that I had to be finished by: 8AM, 10AM, 12, etc.... In each one of them he put something different: Crystal light or G2. That was really helpful for me.

I wouldn't worry about protein right now. I had some liquid protonix that I could throw back like a shot and I downed in some in the first weeks, but mostly I just concerned myself with hydration.

Good luck...I promise you that it DOES get better!!!

~shannon

shannn
on 2/4/13 11:47 am
Topic: RE: Raw Veg?

I couldn't do salad for a long time and still don't do it well. BUT, cheddar cheese & bacon pieces covered with blue cheese dressing? OH YES.... that I can do :)

~shannon

shannn
on 2/2/13 10:53 pm
Topic: RE: Your decision for DS ?

My advice is to talk to people who are years out to get the real deal about all procedures. From what I've seen, many RNYers are struggling with regain, reactive hypoglycemia, or looking to revise. Sleevers are obsessively counting calories and exercise minutes.

As for me, I'm 2 1/2 years out (which isn't that long in the scheme of things, I know) and I've been stablized well below my goal weight for over a year. I am no longer on any meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. I wear a size 8 ****asional 6's) and I enjoy eating. I make sure I drink my protein coffee each day and take my supplements, and I try to eat protein first and stay away from carbs (although I'm not always so good at that). I weigh myself a couple of times a week and this morning I weighed 128.5.

I had some major buyer's remorse in my first few months too; but now I can confidently say that I love my DS. 

~shannon