Question for Imodium Users

Irishnurse
on 5/8/14 1:49 am, edited 5/8/14 9:28 am
DS on 04/17/13

I have started using Imodium. No matter how GOOD I eat I still have pudding to runny poo. It is frustrating and if I do not stay on top of it, painful. I had IBS before my surgery but I only went every other day so it was not an inflammatory issue. Going twice a day has caused me to have serious hemorrhoids and inflammation. I have had to resort to enema's every morning to clean the acidic poop off/out and creams, gels and prednisone daily to keep the swelling down. It works somewhat so that I am not screaming in pain all day. It is just about an hour to two hours of my life spent doctoring and in the bathroom. That is tolerable. 

I am taking four Imodium a day. Mornin, noon, eve and bedtime. Just one. It does not seem to do much. My question for the vets that take Imodium is... How much do you take in a day? The bottle says no more than four a day. I know we do not absorb normally so am I able to take more than four a day? Four does not seem to do very much. 

Also, for those about to ask, I do take Calcium four times a day as well as extra iron. I have done the food deduction test to see if anything is doing this to me. So I have used all the advice I can think of. I had a round of Flagyl. I am using Probiotics and Keefer. I spent 200.00 on probiotics this month. I think my flora is fine. I do not smell that bad. I just have acidic poo. I do take a PPI every day too. My poo is not always acidic though just usually first thing in the morning. It is pudding consistency usually. Any advice is welcome of course. I really am appreciative for it. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Herman
on 5/8/14 9:47 am

I would eat/take fiber to bulk up the stool. And reduce the fat in my diet to see if that may help. Also changing your probiotic may help. 

Good Luck

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Irishnurse
on 5/9/14 1:29 am
DS on 04/17/13

Looks like majority suggests fiber. I will try it. Thanks!

PattyL
on 5/8/14 12:27 pm

The pudding consistency is normal for me but I don't have the acidic problems you describe..  I was told we could double or triple the normal dose but long term it would probably be better to try fiber perhaps or a week of lower fat.  Also as time goes on and your body continues to adapt to the surgery this issue may disappear.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/8/14 1:12 pm

Four and a half years out, and I still have acidic poo, although it's not as bad as when my DS was new.

My wonder drug was extra Calcium, and my body let me know when I missed a dose.

I used liquid Immodium from the beginning, and it worked very well for me...and a lot faster!

Liquid meds are not a bad thing for us...sometimes they work better, sometimes not. The thing about

liquids that sets us apart from other surgeries, is that they are not a *requiirement* for us - but most

definitely an option if you find one that works better than the dry counterpart.

If you are drinking juice, try to go with low-acid varieties.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Irishnurse
on 5/8/14 4:26 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Okay, Thanks ladies and gents. I am going to try some liquid Imodium, double the dose. I will increase my fiber as well. I think I am pretty maxed out on calcium. I take 1200mg twice a day. maybe I will try taking another dose of calcium during the day. I will work with all three suggestions and see where it gets me. 

PeteA
on 5/8/14 11:43 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not sure this will help but maybe you could break out the calcium into more doses through the day instead of the 2 1200mg doses?

I just wonder if that would give you more "firming" up from the calcium.

Pete

Irishnurse
on 5/9/14 1:27 am
DS on 04/17/13

I was kinda considering this myself, Pete. I will try that today and see if it helps. Thanks!

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 5/9/14 6:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13
On May 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Pacific Time, Irishnurse wrote:

Okay, Thanks ladies and gents. I am going to try some liquid Imodium, double the dose. I will increase my fiber as well. I think I am pretty maxed out on calcium. I take 1200mg twice a day. maybe I will try taking another dose of calcium during the day. I will work with all three suggestions and see where it gets me. 

I've heard that we can only absorb about 600 mg of calcium every 2 hours. I break up my 2,520 mg daily calcium into 4 doses throughout the day at least 2 hours apart and 4 hours away from iron.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

onefourthofme
on 5/9/14 12:48 am

First of all - congratulations on your weight loss! That's awesome.

I'm so sorry you're having digestive problems.  They have plagued me for many years - and while this may not work for everyone - I just wanted to share what worked for me. I went gluten-free, and sugar-free (altho the gluten free was more important) - and I use Benefiber twice a day.  That stuff has changed my life.  You can't taste it, see it, or feel any grit.  I could put it in plain ice water if I wanted, and never know its there.  I just happen to put it in plain spiced chai tea.  SEVERE bowel issues are gone.  After a decade and a half of issues. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 109 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 657 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views