For the Benefit of DS Newbies--Pls Photo ***** on This Thread

Nicolle
on 10/4/11 12:37 am, edited 10/4/11 12:46 am
A friend of mine (one of my best friend's best friends/neighbors, if you can follow) is considering WLS and naturally there are RNY and band surgeons on every corner of Chicago area, luring her in with their promises of weight loss, simplicity and cost-effectiveness. She is confused, considering her options. I am no expert, but I would guess she has about 140-150 pounds to lose to get to a healthy BMI. Naturally, I would like her to seriously consider the DS.

This lady is no dummy. In fact, she's a nurse. She's smart and lovely. I think she will be compliant with the vites, labs and protein. She has two young kids who deserve a healthy, active mom. She's seen my life story unfold and knows how much I love my DS. But the thought of traveling for WLS is a little daunting for her, in addition to all of the normal "should I really have WLS?" drama we all experience. I am not sure her hubby is 100% on board with this, either. She is at the end of her rope, though, sick of being fat and starting to see some comorbidities like high blood pressure creep in.

I am hoping she will come to our October support group meeting and meet Dr. Rabkin (yes, he travels here as often as possible to check in on us and talk to newbies) and make an informed decision.

In the meantime, can we all do a parade of DS photo whoring for her and all of the other lurkers and newbies here? I always found that fun and inspiring. (I actually would like to see some updates on a lot of you guys!) If you have any words of advice for her, please share them, too. I will point her to this thread once it gets up and running. See my entry below.

Thanks!

Nicolle

ETA: I found this thread from a long time ago that has lots of befores and afters--Topic: DSers - time to post your before and afters...... Hope it works.

Left, me a couple days before my DS. 344 pounds, size 30-32 pants, sleep apnea, Type 2 diabetes. Right, 3 years after my DS at about 150 pounds, size medium dress, lost all comorbidities. I have no bathroom issues and can eat what I like, as long as I get in my protein first.

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

yorkieGal
on 10/4/11 12:45 am - Clermont, FL
Hey hon, I'll play!! Fingers crossed she chooses the DS!
I don't have a pic of me at my heaviest but this was taken around 4 months post op and the second one was last month! 140lbs down!!

my birthday in august this year 140lbs

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

DeniseATL
on 10/4/11 12:52 am - Atlanta, GA

Thursday

I am not here much but I am going to start.  I can never repay you all for your advice and knowledge.  I wanted to pay it forward.  Sorry they are big photos.  I am very happy with my life now.  1st pic Before ...2nd 1yr out...3rd...on Thursday Good luck to your friend!

DeniseATL
on 10/4/11 12:53 am - Atlanta, GA
OOps here is the before

strawberry28
on 10/4/11 1:11 am - somewhere, MD
ok I'll play

11 months later (145)

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

jodic1966
on 10/4/11 4:19 am
 OMG love those boots!!!!  

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

Yehuda G.
on 10/4/11 1:22 am
I lost the weight with my rny, but my DS is keeping me here 441#/170  BMI 66/26

Julie R.
on 10/4/11 1:55 am, edited 10/4/11 10:55 am - Ludington, MI
Five years....FIVE YEARS....babee....and no plastics:

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

sandy_mt
on 10/4/11 2:05 am
 Can I just say that you ALL look completely amazing!!

To Nicolle's friend:  I am a newly-revised DS patient and doing very well!  I had RNY 10 years ago and regained almost all of my weight.  I am begging you to do your research.  Don't settle for a surgery because it's convenient and easier to obtain.  It is much harder to have to do it a 2nd itme around, with much fewer surgeons who can/will do it.  The DS is truly the BEST surgery for long-term weight loss.   Think twice, cut once!!

Good luck!

Sandy

butercup
on 10/4/11 2:15 am - Kennewick, WA
You look so great! I would post pictures of myself, but alas I'm less than two weeks out and still look lumpy and fat. Not that inspiring. But, I have been loosing 2 lbs a day since surgery. Also I'm very confident that I'll get to goal and have an easy time staying there. 5 years from now I'll still be good, where as if I had another surgery I doubt that would be the case.