Anyone had/have really bad acid reflux & threw up blood?

KimberlyHeidi
on 4/6/11 3:49 pm - VA
 When I had my upper GI series it showed I had pretty bad reflux. I sometimes had heartburn but never had the burning pain going up my chest and throat that I have had since surgery. I have been on Prevacid which I thought was helping until I had an awful episode which my Dr's said shouldnt have happened if it was working so then I tried OTC stuff which did not work and then a few others and now Protonix. It has been working pretty well, but I am still getting break through heartburn/acid reflux. I am not sure what else to try and I am on the highest dose 2x a day. 

I went out to dinner tonight at Chillis and had grilled chicken with cheese melted on top of it and some mashed potatoes with cheese, sour cream and butter. I didnt even finish half my plate. About an hour after getting home I took my nightly meds (Urso which was just changed yet again to another manufactor, Protonix, my lax/stool softner, Vit D and Vit A, Klonopin and Zoloft for anxiety). About 15 minutes later I started having awful burning and pain so I took Tums and about 5 minutes later my mouth started filling up with saliva. I went to the bathroom thinking I was going to have to throw up and I was straining to because I was in so much pain and pretty much nothing came up. I had some mucuous and some pink tinged stuff that I am pretty sure was blood. No actual food or drink actually came up, but obviously I am worried. I only had the pink stuff come up once but regardless I know if it was blood that is not a good sign.

My PCP is out of the office until Monday but I figure I will call tomorrow to see if I can get in with someone else. I dont know if I need a new PPI and if so what to try or if I need to add something to the Protonix since it does help most of the time. I am also going to ask for a ref. to a GI Dr to see if they want to do an endo on me. 

Any suggestions on what to take for some relief or what to request that I might have not tried yet either in combo with the Protonix or instead? Between my tushy issues and this I am a mess. 
larra
on 4/7/11 1:00 am - bay area, CA
If there is any possibility that you are vomiting blood, it's time for an endo.
    Meanwhile, maybe your doc could add tagamet or zantac along with the protonix. These are older but good drugs for heartburn and reflux and still widely used, and they are a different class of drugs from what you are taking now.

Larra
P. Poster
on 4/7/11 1:05 am
 Ummm, what color were the Tums you ate?  The "pink" in your vomit sounds more like it was the undigested Tums coming back, rather than blood.  Blood IS a possibility though, if you have an ulcer or other issue going on.  I would still follow through with the GI doc for an endo though...
KimberlyHeidi
on 4/7/11 1:55 am - VA
Bean: I thought of that too since the Tums I had were the tropical ones which did include pink and orange however the throw up was pink but a darker pink but not red for sure. 

I actually called my PCP and no one could see me today. They said Digestive Health who I am seeing next week can deal with both my tushy issue and this issue. But that appointment is only 30 min with a NP. Oh well at least I have something scheduled.  I am going to call my PCP on Monday to see if I can get in with him as well when he gets back from vacation. 

Today I had my 2 Proferrin first thing in the morning with a little tea and then a little bacon and now I have heartburn/acid reflux pain again. I dont know what is going on. Sigh. 

I think I have tried all the ones OTC and all the prescription ones as well. 
P. Poster
on 4/7/11 2:42 am
 Tea can be acidic.  I would cut that out for now.  Keep trying various PPIs and other meds for this.  I found that Nexium, twice a day was my solution.  Everyone has different things that work.
KimberlyHeidi
on 4/7/11 1:59 pm - VA
 Tea is about the only thing I can drink. Without tea I would be in major major trouble! 
jandbmama
on 4/7/11 4:51 am - Frederick, MD
Another idea which may help is to take the PPI alone, away from other meds.   They can interfere with each other.   Also, I've found (not had the DS yet, and am pregnant now) that taking the PPI with seltzer / club soda seems to take the edge off too.
Becky
KimberlyHeidi
on 4/7/11 2:00 pm - VA
 I cant drink club soda or seltzer because of the carbonation and I have tried to take it away from other meds/vitamins but its just impossible with already having to space out my meds/vites around my Iron. Congrats on your pregnancy! 
CCLC J
on 4/7/11 5:10 am
KimberlyHeidi
on 4/7/11 2:02 pm - VA
 I have not tried Nexium but due to the cost I am trying to find other things before trying that. I did try everything OTC and nothing has worked. Out of the scrips the Protonix has worked the best 2x a day but its not where it should be.

Is Regalan as expensive?