Terrible upper Gi experience.. some problems found.. any ideas?

KimberlyHeidi
on 11/15/10 8:50 am, edited 6/17/11 1:33 pm - VA
Deleting post: Just a bad expirence
NoMore B.
on 11/15/10 9:10 am, edited 11/15/10 9:14 am
I'm sorry you had a hard time at your Upper GI, it sounds like it really bothered you.

I'm trying to think of the right way to say this, because I don't want to sound critical, but I want to sound practical.  You need to think long and hard about if you're ready to have the DS.  The Upper GI is a walk in the park compared to what you're in for with surgery, and I dont know if you realize that.  Have you had surgery before and know what to expect?

I dont know your surgeon's protocol, but a lot of them will also do a leak test the day after surgery, which is also like an Upper GI.  If you had a hard time with the barium, you're not going to like the gastrovue contrast you have to drink for that, and you will also need to do some bending and table rotating all within 24 hours of surgery.   Not to mention just the standard surgical stuff of IV's, drains, catheters, etc.  It also doesnt end when you leave the hospital.  Recovery is rough for a little while.

I'm also not saying you will have any complications, but if you do, even minor ones, it could mean more drinking of contrast, CT scans, PICC lines...and that is the easy stuff.

Living with the DS also means you will have to be strong enough to challenge physicians, and to ask questions to really understand what is going on.  They won't always be nice enough to you either, but you still have to do it.

Please understand I'm not trying to scare you, or to downplay that the experience you had today was upsetting to you. But I am concerned that you might not know what to expect from surgery or be prepared for it.
meme54
on 11/15/10 9:42 am
100% exactly what Joanne said. Upper GI is like and eye exam. The DS from A to Z is like child birth - and child care only it lasts a lifetime not 18 years. 

nikonshooter
on 11/15/10 9:43 am - Ventura County, CA
Oh Dear! I am so sorry- Not much advice, but sending comfort vibes your way!
  Barbara -  Ex-Crapbander to DS.  Love you Dr. K.     
Darma
on 11/15/10 10:13 am
Well, echoing the prior posts- It might be beneficial to practice/learn techniques for calming yourself during the really stressful times.  If you decide to have the DS there will be MANY, MANY times that are foreign and anxiety producing.  If you've never been around alot of medical personnel or processes they can be quite intimidating but you can handle it with the proper mental attitude.  Keep your chin up and breathe.
Darma
KimberlyHeidi
on 11/15/10 11:19 am - VA
I am kinda torn on how to answer this. I don't think comparing what happened to me today has to do with if I am ready for surgery.

I have been through a lot recently with my Grandfathers death who was like a father to me and then learning I needed to get the weight off ASAP due to my liver condition. I have anxiety and panic disorder which I take meds for but before the upper gi I was unable to take my meds. On top of that the Dr's were idiots to me and I became emotional as I am nervous about surgery.

As far as relaxation techniques and such I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to work. Medicine has helped me a lot but I am still an anxious worry wort. 

Yes, I have had surgery before and I have a pretty high pain threshold. Today didn't have to do with pain it had to do with me being treated horribly and having a hard time with getting the barium down. Asking if I am ready for surgery just because of me having issues getting the barium down is like asking if I am ready for another baby just because I have a hard time getting the "orange sugar soda" down for the gestational diabetes screening. 

yes4Jess
on 11/15/10 11:29 am - somewhere, MI
well, the only part that sounds bad about this to ME is that they were not nice to you...and they really SHOULD be... it's ok to be scared but you do have to be VERY mentally strong and determined to get through ALL of this!!! You HAVE to be able to get through to the medical folks your needs, your fears etc...and you have to be able to get through LOTS of tests that suck really bad.  I had a traumatizing endoscopy before my surgery and I admit that I felt pretty upet about it for 2-3 days but once its over its OVER.  

Dont freak out about them saying your esophogus doesnt close enough... it could so so many things maybe thats a hyatal hernia ..most of that stuff they can fix during your surgery...tey thought I had one of them but once they got in there I didnt....bummer since it would have explained my life time of reflux but oh well.  Your surgical place or doctor will be happy to talk to you about these results calmly and clearly in just a few days. 

I know its got to be really hard to go through ANY of this with a panic disorder type issue...I was put on Xanax for my 2 weeks pre and post op because I was so 'excited' my blood pressure was NUTS and Im thankful for those meds! LOL 

DO what you need to do to calm down and not let this get you upset.
5'5" HW-344 (10/4/09) SW-295 (10/7/10) CW-161 GW-144
Never give up, Never surrender! ~Galaxy Quest

First person to tell me I took the "easy" way out is getting a black eye!

KimberlyHeidi
on 11/15/10 11:44 am - VA
Thank you. I have now completed all my pre op testing. I was either able to have an upper GI or an endoscopy and they couldn't fit me in soon enough for the endoscopy so we went with the upper GI. 

I have been an advocate for myself for as long as I can remember. No Dr would test me for PCOS when I just knew I had it because as a fluke I was able to get pregnant with my son. I stood up for myself and got a Dr to do it and got diagnosed. I am not a marshmellow and not afraid to speak up. While I know my anxiety issues will be challenging there is no changing them and I will just have to keep on getting through day by day. 

I have run out of options as far as dieting and weight loss on my own. Surgery is a must and I picked the one I felt most comfortable with after finding out about the DS. While I can only prepare so much for the unknown and cant worry myself to death about everything I feel like I have picked the best option for myself. 

NoMore B.
on 11/15/10 12:26 pm
 I wasnt suggesting that you shouldnt have your surgery, but rather that you should consider if you're ready for it, and have realistic expectations.  If you find that you're not ready, there is plenty you can do to make sure you have the best support you can to get ready.  It is a very stressful time under the best of cir****tances, and when you add in your anxiety issues it can make it that much more difficult.  I dont have an anxiety disorder but still had a total panic episode the first night in the hospital.

I wasn't talking about the pain part either, necessarily (and honestly it isn't very painful past the first few days).  But it is a new experience, invasive, and exhausting.  One of the best things you can do to prepare is exactly what you have been doing - reading as much as you can, talking to people who have been through it, and familiarizing yourself with as much as you can.  Information is power.

Hopefully the issues found on your UGI are nothing serious and nothing that will impact your surgery.  Chances are not, but I understand why you would be concerned.  We all have spent a good part of our lives struggling with obesity and doing things that didnt work.  It is a very common worry as a pre-op that something will happen to prevent the surgery, causing us to miss out on the solution to long term weight loss.  I was warned about that during my psych evaluation and I still worried about that, too, and I'm sure others have as well.

KimberlyHeidi
on 11/15/10 12:52 pm - VA
 Yes, I understand. Honestly I have been looking into WLS for years now and have always backed out because it didnt feel right and because I was scared. After learning about the DS and how it differs from Gastric Bypass I realized there was no doubt that was the surgery I wanted to have.

I have had anxiety and panic disorder for many years and will probably continue to have it to some degree for the rest of my life. I can let that rule my life and not have the surgery because I am scared or I can do what I know is the right thing even though I am scared and have it. I think my expectations are realistic and that I am as ready as I will ever be. I know I need this surgery if I want a quality of life back and I know it will be hard both mentally and physically, but its something I have to do. 

I feel as though I have postponed surgery for a long time because I was scared. Now my body is worse off and without surgery I will continue to get worse. I dont think there will ever be a time where I will say I am not scared to have this surgery and not panic. 

Right now I have a million emotions running through me. I am scared and excited and nervous and so on. While I feel like I have prepared myself the best I can I know I will have many more questions and I look to those who have had it for advice and just to listen. Thank you for doing that =)