Serious reflux problem--suggestions? Help!

Victorious_one
on 7/28/10 1:50 am - South Central, PA
Since surgery, I've had serious, daily problems with nausea and vomiting. Dr. Greenbaum tried different medication combinations, but to no avail.  

My PCP ordered an upper GI on me per Dr. Greenbaum's request.  I don't have the written report, but I called the PCP's office and an assistant talked me through it a bit.  They found that I have 'extensive reflux in the esophagus.'  Well, I'm not sure that's a revelation--hello, I'm hurlin' every day!  They didn't identify a cause for the reflux, which is weird because I didn't have reflux before surgery (that I know of).  There are no obstructions in my system, but they did say at the test that the nasty liquid was moving very slowly down my esophagus and/or slowly from my stomach into intestines.

For those who have had reflux, what do/did you take for it?  Are there other things you've done to relieve it?  Are there foods that you've avoided due to reflux?  What really helps?

Isn't the DS supposed to help relieve or eliminate reflux, not cause it?  

Thanks in advance.  I'm really trying to love my DS, but it's hard with this stuff goin' on.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Elizabeth N.
on 7/28/10 2:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hang in there hon. It's only been a few weeks, and it takes LOTS of people months to love their DS. Don't give up hope.

Reflux is a VERY common part of healing from any stomach surgery. It almost always passes. You can be optimistic, for the statistics are very much in your favor.

My magic ****tail was Reglan and Prilosec. I took Reglan pretty much by the clock (except at night) for a month, and Prilosec in double the label dose (twice a day) for two or three months. Thankfully, I got no funky issues from the Reglan, but others have, so that I must use extreme caution in recommending it.

Others have benefited from a combination of Prilosec and Prevacid or Zantac. But only try these things with doc's clearance, of course.

You're probably not eating/drinking many of the reflux-causing substances, like coffee, chocolate, booze, spicy stuff etc. But if you watch your symptoms carefully, you might notice that it's worse after something you ingest. (Or better, for that matter.)

Position is a biggie for some folks. Keep your chest and head elevated 45 degrees minimum at all times, but especially after eating or drinking.
P. Poster
on 7/28/10 2:09 am
 Woo, have I ever been there done that!  I too did not have reflux preop, but ended up with HORRIBLE problems postop.  Avoid coffee, tea, OJ & all citrus fruits, tomato and any sauces made from it, spicy foods, dairy.  Don't lay down or recline for at least 30 minutes after eating.  Keep something in your stomach at all times, eat every 2 hours.  Try one or two whole grain crackers for "flares" or to help settle your tummy.

Meds to try : Prevacid, Prilosec, Nexium, Zegrid, Zantac, Protonix, Carafate, Aciphex, Axid.  Most of those you will need a script for, and try taking them twice a day rather than once.  
Victorious_one
on 7/28/10 2:21 am - South Central, PA
Woo, some validation!  Thanks so much--I thought I was once again on my own with crackhead side effects.

I starting taking my DH's protonix, which helps more than the stuff I was on before but not enough.  I will try the other suggested meds in combination. Dr. G says he's willing to try whatever works so...

http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Naked_Lizard
on 7/28/10 2:38 am - West Haven, UT
I also take Reglan and Prilosec, my Dr told me the day I left the hospital that this can be a side effect with DS'ers and to stay on top of it. for the most part I havnt had an refux, well not to bad, only when one of my pills wont go all the way down.. UGH.

I am so sorry your going through all this. I hope something works soon for you. They tell me "this to shall pass" and it will.

Toni
HW/298 ~ SW/285 ~ CW/161~ GW/140
OnederLand & Century Club - 11/29/2010

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/10 3:11 am - Bayonne, NJ
I'm awfully sorry you're going through this. I revised to the DS because of severe reflux and hurling. I was given prevacid after surgery and did well with it, and now I'm not using anything. I rarely get anything.

Please, give yourself time to heal. Make sure you aren't eating/drinking anything acidic, and go easy on yourself. Hang in there!
Renfairewench
on 7/28/10 10:29 am
I have been on Nexium for nine years. When I had my RNY I had to go on it because I got a marginal ulcer. If I didn't take it my stomach would ache, then burn, then bleed. I resolved I would probably never get off it until I got my revision. I thought that I would be able to get off of Nexium, but I find that I have more incompleted GERD than I did when I had my RNY. My esophagus will burn and it feels like a hot poker. If I miss my Nexium I know it! I will say that it does help a lot. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get off of it or not.

As for Reglan. Please be careful. It is not a drug to be taken long term.
If it will help you for the short term then take it, but not longer than a few months.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Victorious_one
on 7/28/10 10:37 am - South Central, PA
Maddie, oh man, that sounds like a struggle!

I am going to try Nexium.  I'm afraid of Reglan.  

There's a group of medications to help things move a bit more quickly through the system, and I'll ask about those, too.

rbb825
on 7/28/10 2:34 pm - Suffern, NY
If things are going through the system too slow causing reflux, it is probably gastroparesis.  I have this and the treatment for it unfortunately is Reglan.  Reglan is the type of medication that you are talking about that is used to speed things up.  I have gastroparesis and had it preop.  Ever since taking Reglan and Protonix, I am symptom free.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/10 3:05 pm
It is very unwise to diagnose and recommend a treatment for something like this. There are other drugs in the same category as Reglan with less horrific side effects.

Sorry to sound harsh but this is not a vitamin / mineral issue here, this is something for a MD.

Michele
Most Active