ATTENTION PREOPS: How to ingest 64 oz. of fluids in a day by sipping.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 3:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
This is something I want all you preops to practice a bit until you really KNOW what it is to sip. It will stand you in good stead in those early postop weeks when you are thinking you'll barf yourself to death on more than 16 oz. of fluids.

Get the following: a measuring teaspoon, a measuring tablespoon, a single size shot glass. Sit down with them and a glass of fluid of choice. Oh, and get a stopwatch or digital timer.

I shall divide this exercise into three parts. Please try all three.

1. Let us begin with the shot glass. Pour out a shot of water and down it by sucking it through pursed lips--sipping, not chugging--in one swallow. Feel how big that swallow is? Practice it several times until you KNOW how it feels.

Once you KNOW this feeling, take out that timer and take a full minute to ingest that jigger of water. TIME YOURSELF and make yourself do it over a full minute, NOT in one swallow.

64 oz. per day means doing one of those shot glasses 64 times. If you take a full minute to empty that shot glass, you will spend a total of 64 minutes of your whole entire day drinking.

2. If you fear this will be too much water to ingest in one minute, take the tablespoon and repeat the exercise. A tablespoon is 1/2 oz. So, by drinking a tablespoon of fluid in one minute (USE THE TIMER AND TAKE THE FULL MINUTE TO DO THIS), you will spend two hours and 8 minutes of your day drinking.

3. Think this is impossible? Repeat the exercise using a teaspoon. Doing a teaspoon per minute (TAKE  THE FULL MINUTE!!) will take you six hours and 24 minutes of your day.

Okay? Don't tell me 64 ounces is an impossible amount of fluid to ingest in a day. You can do it and still have LOTS of time to sleep, poop, walk etc. Yes, you will feel it. It might be uncomfortable. You might have nausea. If you do, get it medicated. Use your acid reducer and your antiemetic. If you can't keep down a teaspoon of water per minute, you are in trouble and belong in your doc's office or in the ER. It might feel like pure **** to keep it down, but that's basically tough bananas. Keeping it DOWN is what counts. Feeling good while you keep it down does NOT.

It might take this kind of work to hydrate yourself early postop. Get your head around it NOW.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 7/26/10 3:55 am, edited 7/26/10 3:57 am - Tuvalu
On July 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote: This is something I want all you preops to practice a bit until you really KNOW what it is to sip. It will stand you in good stead in those early postop weeks when you are thinking you'll barf yourself to death on more than 16 oz. of fluids.

Get the following: a measuring teaspoon, a measuring tablespoon, a single size shot glass. Sit down with them and a glass of fluid of choice. Oh, and get a stopwatch or digital timer.

I shall divide this exercise into three parts. Please try all three.

1. Let us begin with the shot glass. Pour out a shot of water and down it by sucking it through pursed lips--sipping, not chugging--in one swallow. Feel how big that swallow is? Practice it several times until you KNOW how it feels.

Once you KNOW this feeling, take out that timer and take a full minute to ingest that jigger of water. TIME YOURSELF and make yourself do it over a full minute, NOT in one swallow.

64 oz. per day means doing one of those shot glasses 64 times. If you take a full minute to empty that shot glass, you will spend a total of 64 minutes of your whole entire day drinking.

2. If you fear this will be too much water to ingest in one minute, take the tablespoon and repeat the exercise. A tablespoon is 1/2 oz. So, by drinking a tablespoon of fluid in one minute (USE THE TIMER AND TAKE THE FULL MINUTE TO DO THIS), you will spend two hours and 8 minutes of your day drinking.

3. Think this is impossible? Repeat the exercise using a teaspoon. Doing a teaspoon per minute (TAKE  THE FULL MINUTE!!) will take you six hours and 24 minutes of your day.

Okay? Don't tell me 64 ounces is an impossible amount of fluid to ingest in a day. You can do it and still have LOTS of time to sleep, poop, walk etc. Yes, you will feel it. It might be uncomfortable. You might have nausea. If you do, get it medicated. Use your acid reducer and your antiemetic. If you can't keep down a teaspoon of water per minute, you are in trouble and belong in your doc's office or in the ER. It might feel like pure **** to keep it down, but that's basically tough bananas. Keeping it DOWN is what counts. Feeling good while you keep it down does NOT.

It might take this kind of work to hydrate yourself early postop. Get your head around it NOW.

~~~~
But it doesn't TASTE good.  It's gross.
Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 4:49 am - Burlington County, NJ

Tough **** Do it anyway.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/10 4:25 am
Do protien shakes count towards our 64 oz of daily fluid intake?
CharleeG
on 7/26/10 4:37 am - Jonesboro, AR
Yes.

Not yo business OH
on 7/26/10 9:36 am

Really?  Am I having a dumb moment?  For some reason I didn't think it counted.  This may make my day!  I may be able to manage this a lot more easily now.  Thanks!  T

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
CharleeG
on 7/26/10 9:43 am - Jonesboro, AR
If it's liquid, it counts. If it's very still liquid (Jello or popsicles LOL), it counts.

ann M.
on 7/26/10 4:44 am - Northern, VA
It sure does!  Also, SF Jell-o, pudding w/protein powder, yogurt., egg drop soup...all those things on your full liquids list count towards your liquid total.

That was one of my "cheats"  early post-op.  Most of my liquids had at least some protein.  SF chocolate pudding with protein powder was my go to my first two weeks.  Oooh and cottage cheese.  I would fill up my 4 oz bowl and spend a half an hour eating it down.  Then repeat again in the next 2-3 hours rather I felt like it or not.  SF Lemon-aide was the drink I could get down without too much discomfort.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/26/10 4:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, but you count the amount of fluid you used to make the shake (if it's made from powder), not the mixed volume.
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/10 4:39 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Thank you, E! (Cal, you kill me!) I promise not to post any question about sipping liquids when I get back! =)
Jan
Recent Topics