Weight gain!

Verhampshirite
on 12/14/09 2:20 am

I'm still in the hospital being treated for dehydration and severe intestinal swelling. This morning, my IV and drain were finally disconnected. Taking the opportunity to weigh myself, I was dismayed to find I'd gained about 10 pounds since surgery, after eating literally almost nothing. My nurse assures me this is fluid weight. Did any of you experience this? How long did the setback last?

--Lenore

Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run it is easier.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
HW - 320, SW - 277, CW - 144, GW - 137
5' 2.5"; 120 cm. common channel; 3-4 oz. sleeve

Rhaynefall
on 12/14/09 2:22 am - Clarksville, IN
I had no access to a scale that would go up as high as I needed it to while I as in the hospital (they had one, just WAY too far away from where my room was).  But, I've read a lot of vets on here saying you can gain 10 or so pounds of fluids.  I wouldn't worry about it at all. 
Amanda-DS
on 12/14/09 2:23 am
stay off the scale, seriousely you are healing you had a complication requiring IV fluids. Your job right now is too heal!
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Elizabeth N.
on 12/14/09 2:24 am - Burlington County, NJ
You were dehydrated. You got hydrated.  Water is HEAVY, so of course it shows on the scale.

You have had no setback whatsoever in your weight loss. The numbers are completely meaningless right now. Stay OFF the scale and focus on recovering from major surgery. You're going to be fine. The single most important thing in life for you right now is FLUID. Get single minded about this and focus on healing. In a couple of months you can be all happy about the scale again if you must. But right now the scale is a total liar and needs to be evicted from your life.
Anna G.
on 12/14/09 2:24 am
This is absolutely just fluid, due to being on the IV so long. A lot of us leave the hospital weighing 5-15 pounds more than when we went in. It's completely normal; just a part of the process. Don't worry! The scale will be moving in the right direction soon, at a rate like you've never dreamed of before.

How are you feeling?

Ahrie
on 12/14/09 2:31 am - Dublin, OH
Now listen here girlie girl, STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALES and repeat after me, sip, walk, sip, take supplements, sip rest, sip repeat! that is your focus right now. this is a marathon, not a sprint. Relax you will do fine.
(deactivated member)
on 12/14/09 2:35 am - Lancaster, OH
I did a cleansing fast for 10 days before surgery, then ate nothing for 10 days after surgery. (the 10 days after was because of my surgeon's instructions).
On day 11, I weighed the same as before I began the fast.  I knew it meant nothing.  My hands and feet were swollen, as was the rest of me, it just didn't show as easily as the hands and feet.
Your nurse is right, and stay off the scale.
Verhampshirite
on 12/14/09 2:40 am
Thank you all. The scale is hereby vbanished!

Courage is more exhilarating than fear, and in the long run it is easier.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
HW - 320, SW - 277, CW - 144, GW - 137
5' 2.5"; 120 cm. common channel; 3-4 oz. sleeve

yex1
on 12/14/09 3:57 am - NJ
from A day before the surgery till a week after I gained 20 pounds and my feet swelled up so big I couldn't put my shoes on. When I was in the hospital for dehydration and when I was on tpn after I gained about 15 pounds and it only took me 2-3 weeks to get it off. It seemed like forever though.

"Nobody trips over mountains.  It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. "

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."  ~Jacob A. Riis

MissD1969
on 12/14/09 6:51 am
 I'm glad you mentioned the weight gain with the TPN.  I've been on TPN since the end of October and I have noticed that weight loss stopped.  I've been gaining and losing the same six pound since I started TPN.  I'll be glad to start losing again.  I realize now, that I am lucky I did not gain any weight.

Most Active
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 27 views
Recent Topics
Smelly gas
1Mari_sunflower · 3 replies · 27 views
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 6 replies · 703 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1465 views