My Life Was Left on the OR Table - One Year Ago

Justin
on 5/20/09 3:29 am - CLEVELAND, OH
 One year.  It just snuck up on me.  365 days ago I was a super-morbidly obese man undergoing lifesaving surgery.  The Duodenal Switch saved my life.  The days and months that followed my surgery were hard.  I was in pain.  I could hardly eat.  I had to relearn to do things that seemed so routine before like shower, chew, and sleep.  Thank goodness for you all who so wonderfully guided me through to where I am now.

I have come to many realizations over the past year.  I will share one at the forefront of my mind.  At birth, we are given a life.  But there is a difference between the life we are given and the life me make for ourselves.  Before my DS I lived a limited life.  I limited my health and in turn my longevity.  I limited social interactions to avoid embarrassment.  Oh, I got out.  I shook hands.  I had friends.  But I have come to realize that there was always a hidden veil over the me I am today.  That life, that me, died on the operating table one year ago.

As the over 280 pounds I have lost began to fall away I discovered a second life.  One I didn’t have before.  A life in which I reach my goals.  Where I have surround myself with love and hope and happiness and feel.  I feel the good days and acknowledge the bad ones ensure that I have people in my life to help get me through both.  I am active.  I am healthy. I AM ALIVE!

My heart is really full today and I feel like I cannot fully express my gratitude to each of you.  Much love and many, many thanks.

- Justin

Blogging my Journey... Click to View

Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com
Sheila K.
on 5/20/09 3:33 am
You deserve all the best !! CONGRATULATIONS Justin

Amber T.
on 5/20/09 3:35 am - Bloomfield, IN
Justin, I don't know you but have ALWAYS enjoyed the posts you do.  I haven't read them all but the ones I've read are positive and uplifting.  Thank you so much for sharing your story and insight.  And of course, congratulations and may blessing keep coming your way.

Amber

Nicolle
on 5/20/09 3:38 am
Ummm..what can I say except...HOLY CRAP!

Congratulations, baby! You have done beautifully. Your smile jumps off the screen then and now, but now it looks like it covers your whole face!

You rock!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Anna G.
on 5/20/09 3:38 am
Justin, what an amazing transformation. Congratulations on a new life of unlimited possibilities!

Irishcoda
on 5/20/09 3:40 am
Justin, you look wonderful, so happy & healthy!  I was just thanking zappre for sharing with us and I want to thank you, too.  A post like yours so encourages me!  And I felt as you did too.  I didn't go out much because I was so embarrassed.  I was in so much pain and so sad not to be able to do things with my kids and grandkids.  Now things are changing!  I am so happy for you, Justin!

nurse4lyph
on 5/20/09 3:40 am
What an incredible inspiring story ---- you look incredible: "who is that handsome man"?

Thank you for sharing! Chrisi
Victory shall be mine -
Fade2Pink
on 5/20/09 3:44 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Good lord, is that some kind of record for weight loss?!  WOWie.  I'm amazed, simply amazed.  Congrats on your new life.  Wishing you only the best.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

rose78
on 5/20/09 3:52 am - san jose, CA
Justin that was such a true realization in fact in touched me to the point of tears.
You are INSPIRATIONAL  and  reading this  was   a touch of  Happiness and  joy for me.
I just want to say THANK-YOU.  Oh  looks  like you are BEAMING with LOVE! You are a Success!!

ROSE 78 

Denise Afflerbach
on 5/20/09 3:58 am - Baden, PA
 Congratulations and continued success on your journey!
Recent Topics