Weight Gain at Five Year Anniversary Date

scottywarrenharris
on 5/2/09 9:57 am - Antioch, TN
This month marked my fifth year anniversary of having had DS; however, I've gained about 15 pounds since this past Christmas. I haven't been exercising so I know I need to start exercising again, but is this normal? With exercise, will the weight come off, or am I "settling" into the weight that my body intends for me to be? My concern/question is that with me being five years out, if I exercise and eat better, will those additional pounds come off? Is it harder to shed weight with the DS; I know that this question sounds absurd, but I'm nervous that I won't be able to rid myself of the weight I've gained because my body is simply "settling in" at the five year mark. I'd appreciate and and all responses and please e-mail me at [email protected] as well.
Scotty W. Harris
Nashville, Tennessee
"The game of life is a lot like football.  You have to tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity."
Lewis Grizzard 
TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE
Lori Black
on 5/2/09 10:08 am - , IN
Hi Scotty!

Well I'm a newbie in comparison to you, but we've got several vets around here that have successfully dropped weight at 5 plus years out!  10-20 pounds is what seems to be the bounceback gain that many DSers face, aren't you glad you've only gained 15? (I can't tell you the hundreds of pounds I've gained back in the past in my pre-DS life!!!  I'm sure you have too!!) If I were in your shoes, I'd go on a lower carb diet and get back into exercise.  Those two things should not only halt your gain, but also help you to lose some weight too.  I definitely think you can lose the pounds you gained!!!  I like tracking my intake on Sparkpeople.com.  Journaling your intake or logging it online is a great way to keep yourself honest about your intake!!!
Good luck!!!

Lori
freckled1
on 5/2/09 10:43 am
Hi Scotty,
I think it depends on how you gained this weight as to whether or not it will be easy to lose.  If you are eating too many carbs and neglecting your protein intake then the weight will likely fall off easily by correcting that situation. 
This is kind of late to be a rebound but stranger things have happened.  I have not had a problem losing 5 or 10 pounds rather quickly if I cut carbs. 
How is your eating?

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/09 1:00 am - San Jose, CA
Au contraire, mon frere.  The DS makes "dieting" (i.e., controlling intake of foods that you shouldn't eat that much of) not only easier, but more effective.  DS "dieting" isn't deprivation, it is changing the type of food you eat, not necessarily limiting volume.  Step away from the sugar and carbs, up your fat and protein to compensate.  Snack on chicken salad with lots of mayo instead of chips.  That kind of thing.  But do it soon, before you DO settle in on a new set point -- physical or mental.

I'm coming up on 6 years out, and I have been losing weight on and off for the last 2.5 years when I avoid the carbs.
zabs
on 5/6/09 11:37 am
 wow!  A 5 year out Dr. Houston patient?  I am so excited to hear from you!  I am likely having surgery with him this summer/early fall.  I would love to hear more about your experience with him long term!    
Started researching the DS in Dec 2008.  2 years and one baby later(my 3rd), I'm finally switched!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 4 replies · 431 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1337 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1472 views