List your favorite protein shakes & other protein sources

alp300
on 4/12/09 11:27 am - Bealeton, VA
I am preparing for DS surgery with Dr Antelmo in Brazil in several weeks.  I am getting myself onto a low-carb diet, sampling protein shakes, etc. 

What are some of your favorite protein shakes (or other sources)?  I got a bag of vanilla flavored powder from Costco that just doesnt taste very good, even mixing it with fruit. 

What are the popular choices out there?  And where do you usually get it from (VitaLady, BariatricAdvantage, GNC, etc)?
Denise Afflerbach
on 4/12/09 11:37 am - Baden, PA
 I use GNC chocolate whey powder mixed with milk and crushed ice in a blender.  It thickens up like a Frosty from Wendy's.  Sometimes, I'll mix in a scoop of SF chocolate carnation instant breakfast to make it really rich and chocolately! Check out your local Wal Mart, I've seen whey protein powder there for 1/2 price of GNC, but I hav not tried it yet because I'm still working on my big ol' barrell!
(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 11:45 am - Woodbridge, VA
I haven't been a huge fan of the protein powders alone, so I bought some generic vanilla and chocolate whey protein powders at a grocery store (they were buy one, get one free), and I mix things into them. I make my chocolate shake using 8 oz Hood 2% Calorie Countdown milk, a scoop of the chocolate protein powder, and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter - whir it up in my Magic Bullet, and YUM! For the vanill, I mix in 2 tablespoons of cream cheese instead of peanut butter, and I add a sprinkle of sugar free cheesecake flavor instant pudding mix.

The one protein powder I really like all by itself, just mixed with milk, is Jay Robb's Tropical Dreamsicle flavor. I found it at Whole Foods. Tastes like a melted creamsicle to me.
willfeelsogood
on 4/12/09 11:53 am
after you get back, try the "Premier Nutrition" from Costco. They are ready to drink so can't take with, but they are really good! I just finished one & they have 30 grams protein & only 2 net carbs.
have tried lots of others, this ones my fave.
Dr. Antelmo is wonderful by the way!
ImArustyRose
on 4/12/09 12:25 pm, edited 4/12/09 12:59 pm - TX

Champion Banana Scream is unreal.  I put in ice cubes, heavy cream about an ounce, a little water for mixing.  Put it all in my vita mix (every one needs a vita mix) whir it till smooth and then toss in  some pecans and whir for about 2 seconds and it tastes just like a banana nut milk shake.  I save it for special because I dont want to get tired of it.  I love it.

ARustyRose

echo6w
on 4/12/09 12:50 pm
I love the Gladiator from Smoothie King (vanilla with two squirts of orange juice).  It's 45 grams of protien.  I also have tried the Slim Fast low carb drinks.  I mix in Carnation french vanila creamer to help out the flavor.  It's 20 grams of protein in an 11 oz can.  I also tried Boost drinks.  They are 16 gram protein.  Also add the creamer in those.

I'm so picky so I don't eat/drink things with a lot of things mixed in all together.  It's a challenge for me to get in protein via shakes.  I also tried the Isopure clear.  The grape was okay.  Might be able to add some sugar free grape kool-aid to enhance it a bit.

No Retreat!  No Surrender!
SometimesBlonde
on 4/12/09 1:39 pm - NE
I like the Champion shakes. Banana Scream is my favorite, and the chocolate is also good.

If you are thinking of smoothies or pre-mixed shakes, make sure you read the labels for carb counts as well as protein. Many of them have a LOT of carbs. For example, Boost High Protein has 15 grams of protein, but it also has 33 grams of carbs. In my opinion, it's better to hold your nose and drink a shake that has fewer carbs, but doesn't taste as good.

Joyce
 HW 290 / SW 275 / CW 143 / GW 160
Batwingsman
on 4/12/09 2:08 pm, edited 4/12/09 2:08 pm - Garland, TX
Hi "Alp" ..   have you been posting on our Dr. A Yahoo group?    Congrats on making a great choice of surgeons for your DS  ..  

I didn't mess much with protein before surgery, although I know some WLSers will recommend that it be done so that the body has plenty to work with as it "repairs" following the surgery ..  

My fav protein supplement, but one I couldn't take until several weeks out, were the Pure Protein bars (available at Wal-Mart).   They have over 20 grams of protein in each and really are chewy and cholately tasting, are low in carbs (sweetened with sugar alcohols) and come 6 in a box for about only $6.00.       My usual choice was the chocolate chip variety. 

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

melissa K.
on 4/12/09 2:18 pm - Ventura, CA
i hate hate hate all protien shakes. and bars. Blah. I've gotten into eating genoa salami now : ) it's delicious and packed with protein, and SMALL so i can get a lot of protein for the eatin'!

Surgery June 3rd, 2008
My Specs:
  Height 5' 5.75" | Highest weight 265+?lbs | Surgery weight 241.9 | Now 154 lbs | CC length 150cm, stomach 3oz 
Added: Neck/Chin/Lower face lift Nov 23,2010- Skin only
Vicki PNW
on 4/12/09 3:12 pm

Before my surgery, I ordered a minimum number of samples from Vitalady.com to be drank as a post-op.  So far, I have drank all those that I ordered.

The following are the flavors that I like:
- Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Stack "banana scream" (bought a tub from vitalady.com and bought subsequent ones on order at a nearby hospital pharmacy)
- SynTrax Nectar "cappuccino" (bought a tub on sale at the local Vitamin Shoppe store)
- Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Stack "tropical sunrise" (tastes sort of like Orange Julius--no plans to buy tub at this time)
- SciFit Econo "ice cream banana" (no plans to buy tub)

The following are the flavors that I don't like (all taste like baboons' butts!):
- SynTrax Nectar "roadside lemonade" (will stick with the lemonade flavors of Crystal Light)
- SynTrax Nectar "fuzzy navel" (prefer orange juice taste)
- Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Stack "cookies & creme" (will stick with the DQ Blizzard)
- Unjury "chocolate" (one other DSer gave me a sample shortly before my surgery and I consumed it the week after my surgery)

A vitalady.com sample is equivalent to about 1 or 1.5 servings.  Read each label.

None of the samples from vitalady.com has an expiry date but they should.  Therefore, I dated them as of the month/year I received them and should use them up within a year.

One of my protein tubs that I bought in 2008 has an expiry date of sometime in 2010, so it should be OK for now.

Note to pre-ops:  If you want to buy the samples, then go for it!  However, keep in mind that your taste buds may change after surgery.  So those that you liked as a pre-op, you might not like them at all as a post-op!

As for delivery, my orders are received the day after FedEx Home picks them up at her house.  One of my last orders was picked up around 2 PM and delivered to my door before 9:30 AM the next day.

Where to order protein samples:

Unjury: http://www.unjury.com
Bariatric Eating: http://www.bariatriceating.com
VitaLady: http://www.vitalady.com

I have read in other forums of others *****ceived free samples directly from manufacturers by stating that they are candidates for WLS.

Hope this helps!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Recent Topics