Bad Breath

Jenn S.
on 4/3/09 2:34 am
When does it go away....when I am eating more normally?  Is it due to anesthesia or ketosis or what?  I have always been one of those people who was very diligent with oral hygiene.  This makes me feel so self conscious.  I can brush my teeth 3-4 times a day and it still comes back.  Sometimes it's metallic and sometimes it's just more like a morning breath type thing.  I feel weird being around other people and I keep mints all the time.  Mints can only do so much though ya know?

Jackie D.
on 4/3/09 3:03 am - Hudsonville, MI
It's your weightloss right now causing the bad breath.  I'm a dental assistant for over 20 years and understand how frustrating it is being so concious about dental hygiene.  I did recently get a sample of a product I would recommend.  It's a mouth wash by Act call Restoring.  I love it and it really helps... also try chewing gum.  BreathRX has a gum that has xylitol in it and it works well.  You dentist may sell it at their office or perhaps be able to tell you where you can get it.  Also make sure to keep your regular dental visits.. my gums took a beating right after surgery! 
Best Wishes!

Lori Black
on 4/3/09 3:37 am - , IN
Jackie,

What is the "Restoring" mouth wash inteded for?  I may have to check that out.

Jenn,

It could be anesthesia, ketosis, your rapid weight loss, or all of the above.  Jackie gave some great ideas.  I think time will make a difference too.  I didn't experience bad breath, but I did notice for 3 months that I wasn't as "fresh" as I used to be.  What I mean is...even after bathing and using antipersperant, I could still get a whiff of myself smelling like B.O before the end of the day.  I started on that medical grade deodorant stuff and my problem disappeared. My surgeon said it was anesthesia trying to get out of my body. 

Hope you find something that works for you!

Lori
Jackie D.
on 4/3/09 10:05 am - Hudsonville, MI
Lori....
The bottle says...
Restores minerals to soft spots
Strengthens enamal to prevent decay
Kills bad breath germs!

And this is my take on it.... it still tastes yummy!  It says the flavor is cool splash mint!

Jenn S.
on 4/3/09 3:39 am
Thank you so much for the ideas.  I actually happen to have my next dental appt. next week so I will be sure to ask them.  That is actually what got me thinking...."oh god, my breath is so bad and they are going to have to work on my mouth!"  I will apologize ahead of time  LOL

I will try the gum and look for that mouthwash.  I will do just about anything right now.  Thanks so much!

colene
on 4/3/09 3:52 am
Also for that metallic smell...how is your liquid intake?  Sometimes that can be a sign of dehydration......
Recent Topics