Comparing surgeries: The Official Conclusion

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/08 7:02 am
It's official. New 2008 bariatric guidelines from the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS, THE OBESITY SOCIETY, AND AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR  METABOLIC & BARIATRIC SURGERY have been released that conclude that no surgery is better than DS in long term weight loss.  (Guidelines are used by insurance companies to determine quality of care and reimbursement and represent the state of the art care. They are based on an analysis of published studies that were considered scientific enough to include.)

Everyone should look at these guidelines for their advice about nutrition and supplementation as well as post op testing. It's a little rough going if you don't know the medical language but it's worth wading through for the postop care stuff.  Here's the link for the full text: http://www.aace.com/pub/pdf/guidelines/Bariatric.pdf

This is from table 4 on page 10. After 7-10 years, RNY excess weight loss ranges from 25% (!) to 68%, gastric banding from 14% (!!) to 60%, and DS from 60 to 80% (although we all know some people who are maintaining 100% excess weight loss at 7-10 years, they weren't part of these studies used to write the guidelines). So, if you had 100 pounds to lose, give the worst case scenario, you would still have 86 pounds left with the band, 75 with RNY and 40 with DS. The best of the band results is equivalent to the worst of the DS results at 7-10 years. 

Reported Weight Loss as Percentage

of Excess Body Weight After Bariatric Surgery  

Follow-up period (y) (the first number is 1-2 years, the second is 3-6 and the third is 7-10 (if data exist).

Procedure         1-2        3-6        7-10 

Vertical banded gastroplasty  50-72   25-65    

Gastric banding 29-87   45-72   14-60 

Sleeve gastrectomy   33-58   66  

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass  48-85   53-77   25-68 

Banded Roux-en-Y gastric bypass  73-80   66-78   60-70 

Long-limb Roux-en-Y gastric bypass  53-74  55-74  

Biliopancreatic diversion ± DS  65-83   62-81   60-80   

Elsewhere, I have a lot of problems with some of what the document states, since they threw BPD data with DS data in a kind of sloppy way.  It's not a perfect document, but it shows you how far DS has come even in the competitive bariatric surgery world. It's important to note that no one has done a long-term study that head-to-head compares DS to RNY to Band (and that study will probably never be done). I hope this helps some pre-ops negotiate  with their insurance companies.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/08 7:20 am - Newark, DE
Thanks for sharing Nancy!
Peace and good.
Ocean M.
on 9/7/08 7:32 am - North Hollywood, CA
thank you for sharing this, Nancy! This is awesome!
HW 467 (82.7) / SW 345 (61.1) / CW 224 (39.6) / GW 150 (26.5)  - last weigh in on 09/29/2009 - 121 pounds lost since surgery / 243 pounds lost from highest weight - Never settle. Period. Whatever it is, it's worth fighting for.
Proud angel (and friend) to Cubankitten9, Leslie,Yeaokaybye, RussH. and Chere * Thank you Sandy (SaMaRo) for being my angel and my friend
Anna G.
on 9/7/08 7:45 am

Thanks for posting that, Nancy! Very interesting reading.

jazzigirl
on 9/7/08 7:46 am - Rose Hill, KS
Fantastic post, thanks! I am going to check out the link and I think I'll send it to my surgeon and PCP in hopes that they will begin to recognize DS as a very effective surgery. Thanks again.

75% EWL!!!!    Miracles do happen and the DS is mine!
Larissa P.
on 9/7/08 8:20 am - Denton, TX
THANK you Nancy, that is some awesome information. Bookmarked!
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
jane_w
on 9/7/08 9:43 am - New Orleans, LA

5'7" SW 268lbs BMI 42/ CW 132lbs BMI 20.7 / GW 140lbs 136lbs Lost
I Ymy duodenal switch

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/7/08 9:51 am
OMG NANCY ...LOVE YOUR POSTS!!!!! With your permision I would like to post it some place else....obviously as always giving you the credit.

Scott
SofaKing Fat
on 9/7/08 11:04 am - East of Toronto, ON, Canada
main board perhaps LOL
SofaKING Fat 
Greg

Highest         Consult          Surgery       Current           Goal         Post Plastics Goal
 380 lbs        360.7 lbs       328.5 lbs     170.80 lbs     165.0lbs                151 lbs

Weight Updated Every Sunday  
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/08 12:03 pm
 Scott: The more knowledge the better. Pass it on!
Recent Topics